ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Else Grateful, Thankful for the PSU Wrestling Team?

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
All 38, now 37 guys!! Though 38 should be back in January. The starters are the ones you see, so those are the ones discussed, but it takes a room full of wrestlers for success

125 - Devin is 3-3, and had his first dual meet win Friday. Big time fight, and improving.
133 - RBY, 5-0, all bonus point wins. Unchallenged, but no marquee wins. Signs all pointing upward, just waiting for better competition. Remember...true freshman.
141 - Nick showed his character last year. Continued success, 7-0, all BP wins this year.
149 - Two great options, Verk and Berge. Berge current starter, 5-0, 4 BP wins this year.
157 - Nolf, 5 falls in 6 bouts. Too bad the other win was a major, he's lagging behind Shak and Cenzo in the Most Dominant Wrestler math ;).
165 - Cenzo, 5 falls in 6 bouts, plus a TF.
174 - Hall ONLY 6-0, 4 BP wins, including 3 falls.
184 - Shak tied with Cenzo and Jason with 5 falls, for team lead. Also has a TF, good for 5.833 in Most Dominant Wrestler math, tied with Cenzo. Jason lagging at 5.667.
197 - Slow Bo is 5-0, 3 falls and 2 majors.
285 - Two great options. Nevills preseason #2, at 3-1, with 2 BP wins. Cassar proving early to be a top heavyweight, 5-0, with 4 BP wins.

Dang, I liked typing that. We are blessed...

All 38, now 37 guys!! Though 38 should be back in January. The starters are the ones you see, so those are the ones discussed, but it takes a room full of wrestlers for success

125 - Devin is 3-3, and had his first dual meet win Friday. Big time fight, and improving.
133 - RBY, 5-0, all bonus point wins. Unchallenged, but no marquee wins. Signs all pointing upward, just waiting for better competition. Remember...true freshman.
141 - Nick showed his character last year. Continued success, 7-0, all BP wins this year.
149 - Two great options, Verk and Berge. Berge current starter, 5-0, 4 BP wins this year.
157 - Nolf, 5 falls in 6 bouts. Too bad the other win was a major, he's lagging behind Shak and Cenzo in the Most Dominant Wrestler math ;).
184 - Shak tied with Cenzo and Jason with 5 falls, for team lead. Also has a TF, good for 5.833 in Most Dominant Wrestler math, tied with Cenzo. Jason lagging at 5.667.
285 - Two great options. Nevills preseason #2, at 3-1, with 2 BP wins. Cassar proving early to be a top heavyweight, 5-0, with 4 BP wins.

Great post Roar...gave you a like.....Cael is simply 1 of the best human beings living ! Words are hard to describe him. We are lucky to have him as our Head Coach. He loves PSU as well.

Reactions: Dogwelder
This is one of m favorite PSU teams. From top to bottom it's crazy good. I don't see the negatives some others see. I don't know how anyone could. These kids are dominating.

Reactions: Ja1339
Negatives?

Only in the context that we are spoiled and our expectations are starting to get far too unrealistic. Definitely the most talented team yet and that is saying something. Most great teams hope for 1 maybe even crazy thoughts of 2 national champions.

Cael is so good, you have to admit in the back of most of our minds we are thinking Shak and Cassar have strong shots at winning it all. Who saw that 3 years ago? They have developed into elite wrestlers from just the very very good category.

I am sure it remains a definite low possibility, but you can't be called insane if you think we have a shot at a national champions in six weight classes.

Likewise, if Teske starts this year, and comes out of the gate stronger than we expect, we also have a shot at 10 AAs. A long shot indeed, but within the realm of the possible.

With such an abundance of riches we tend to get bored on this board without some discussion of negatives.

Our negatives are positives for every other team.

So there is some consensus that today's negative is a few of us think Mark Hall could have a higher level of destruction. Sounds like a compliment to me.

Is expecting perfection out of Cael's teams so outrageous? These past few years are as close to perfection as I have seen in this sport, maybe any sport.

We are spoiled indeed!

As for the title of this thread - YES!!!! I feel exceedingly grateful, blessed, and glad to be a fan, and an admirer of the house that Cael built.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrd23psu
It is such a great team to watch...the guys are aggressive, creative and composed. I have definitely gotten spoiled and can really tell this when I watch other "top teams" as its interesting to see how skewed the bar is for PSU.

Take Shak for example, bonus point/cradling machine and he gets a little lost in the shuffle because we have 4-5 other guys who do the same thing and have more hardware. A lot of people dislike watching 285lb matches, we got an athletic beast that takes shots and pushes the action instead of just pushing against a guy for 7 minutes. There are a lot of great individual wrestlers throughout the NCAA, but man this program is truly loaded and f*n to follow from top to bottom.

Went to the Appy State football game yesterday (cause I can’t get enough of that kind of thing). Ran into 3 Appy Wrestlers in a “haunt” after the game. When they saw my PSU Wrestling shirt they wanted to jibber jab a bit, .... so we sat down over some ice waters (their choice of course) and they told me their stories. They are more impressed with the style revolution Cael has rained down than the juggernaut he has developed. These young lads were never in Cael’s view while wrestling in high school, but, they acknowledged that they watch every stitch of video that they can find on PSU. They all said that PSU Wrestling fans are lucky to the max to see an ever evolving parade of excellence. Yeah - I’m real grateful to be a PSU fan.

Our PSU teams with Cael at the helm represent the sport and the University so well,I am proud to wear Blue and white and the winning is just a bonus!

these young men do it right! win or loss they have class and integrity!

I love the football team, and have since the early 70’s, but my top two teams are wrestling and Women’s volleyball. Both succeed but do it with class and integrity. We are blessed to be PSU fans.

My only disappointment reflects on a comment I made last year about college should add a 220 weight. I realize scholarship allotment is part of the decision,but it just makes sense since high school and Olympics have similar weight.
Just imagine what kind of wrecking machine Cassar would be at 220.
Nevills would slide back in at HWT.
That would be perfect.

Reactions: TexasLion1979

Yes, we are Blessed! It was nice talking with you at the Bucknell match Friday! We are...

Reactions: RoarLions1
It's good to pause and reflect on just how special this team is and how once in a lifetime someone like Jason Nolf is. It's easy to take Nolf and Nickal's typical excellence for granted and I try hard not to do that in their final season.

Went to the Appy State football game yesterday (cause I can’t get enough of that kind of thing). Ran into 3 Appy Wrestlers in a “haunt” after the game. When they saw my PSU Wrestling shirt they wanted to jibber jab a bit, .... so we sat down over some ice waters (their choice of course) and they told me their stories. They are more impressed with the style revolution Cael has rained down than the juggernaut he has developed. These young lads were never in Cael’s view while wrestling in high school, but, they acknowledged that they watch every stitch of video that they can find on PSU. They all said that PSU Wrestling fans are lucky to the max to see an ever evolving parade of excellence. Yeah - I’m real grateful to be a PSU fan.
Isn’t that the truth. The PSU wrestlers, top to bottom, just keep coming forward and pushing the action. They are ready to wrestle as soon as they wrap the tape around their ankles. Win, lose, or draw they just keep coming at you and that type of intensity was not NCAA wrestling 10 years ago. FANS WANT ACTION. PSU wrestlers provide it. Yes, I am grateful and hoping that kind of style never goes away.

Pennsylvania became the dominant force in American wrestling in the 1990's, as I recall. PA has had the most AA's of any state for almost every year since then. I remember a PIAA finals, maybe '88, when the NCAA finals were on at the same time and the announcer at states kept naming PA kids that won at NCAA's.
The point is, Penn State wasn't benefiting from that wealth of talent that was PA wrestling. Just to get the top kids to go to PSU was a challenge, apparently. Then Cael appeared and those great PA kids finally decided to stay home. And btw, Cael attracts top kids from Texas and Ohio and NJ, and NY and etc.
Just the fact that those elite studs were finally choosing PSU was great. But that was just the beginning. Cael and his associates have revolutionized American folk style wrestling with their peddle-to-the-metal attitude. Each PSU wrestler brings his own style and skill set to the game, but then are infused with the 'score, score, score' philosophy of the coaching staff.
The result has been magical.

Count me in, but I still recognize it’s just recreation. I’ll enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Although it’s already a solid program I’d love to see T&F bump another level at PSU.

Reactions: Lyons212
Version 6.9 of a post started when the wrestling room on BWI got its start.

Penn State did get many of the top kids in the state pre the wrestling enlightenment that is 2010 forward. Never all of them or even the majority you could argue annually. Yet i think, Sunderland got his when you consider the hands that were reaching into the PA cookie jar. Sunderland never had the resources or commitment from PSU that Cael had from the jump.

Of the talent PSU got, it didnt always pan out and that just further exposed the wholes in the program, when your chasing the likes of Iowa, Ok State, & Minny. Giving individual kids high % schollies that end up not maxing out points at NCAAs, is a sure fire way to finish off the podium. Look no further than TnT, pre Larry Legend and the 3" binder of gold intel.

Cael doesnt feel the pressure like Coach Sunderland did to get the top PA talent. Hes Cael freaking Sanderson for cry'n out loud. If he swings and misses, his track record inspires calm, patience, and a trust in the bigger plan.

Its really about fit. Fit with the teammates, fit with the coaches, fit with the personality of the program, etc. While we have a bunch of different personalities, I dont think its hard to see some themes that run throughout the starters.

If we cant get that in PA we can in IN, TX, IA, CA, NJ, NY, AZ and on and on. If we cant get that in PA who cares, go get them elsewhere. PA is weird with its rich suburbs and its rural farms. PA kids have similar aspects to their game, but its still an individual sport and each kid is different.

Chance, CW, Haines, among so many other top PA talent (that caused thread upon thread for WTF hot takes) for whatever reason didnt work for the athlete or PSU at the time of their recruitment. So be it, move on.

PSUs location in PA, or within the mecca that is eastern US wrestling is certainly a factor, a strong factor.

BUT it is simply an ingredient in the secret sauce that is PSU under Cael, Casey, Cody, Jake, DT, etc

Take one piece away and Im not sure it would be the same run we are on.

#Aligningofthestars
#generational
#enjoyitwhileitlasts

Pennsylvania became the dominant force in American wrestling in the 1990's, as I recall. PA has had the most AA's of any state for almost every year since then. I remember a PIAA finals, maybe '88, when the NCAA finals were on at the same time and the announcer at states kept naming PA kids that won at NCAA's.
The point is, Penn State wasn't benefiting from that wealth of talent that was PA wrestling. Just to get the top kids to go to PSU was a challenge, apparently. Then Cael appeared and those great PA kids finally decided to stay home. And btw, Cael attracts top kids from Texas and Ohio and NJ, and NY and etc.
Just the fact that those elite studs were finally choosing PSU was great. But that was just the beginning. Cael and his associates have revolutionized American folk style wrestling with their peddle-to-the-metal attitude. Each PSU wrestler brings his own style and skill set to the game, but then are infused with the 'score, score, score' philosophy of the coaching staff.
The result has been magical.
Believe PA was the top state for producing wrestling talent before the 1990's. I've linked the attached before. It shows the NCAA Div 1 champions from PA over the years. Yes, until the Cael era, relatively few went to Penn State.
Note that in 1965 there were five NCAA champions from PA, including future pro football star fullback, Jim Nance.
I can't locate a chart which shows NCAA AA's over time from PA. I'm sure it would tell a similar story though.

http://www.westyorkwrestlingalumni.com/patoncaachamps.htm

Reactions: danoftw

Penn State did get many of the top kids in the state pre the wrestling enlightenment that is 2010 forward. Never all of them or even the majority you could argue annually. Yet i think, Sunderland got his when you consider the hands that were reaching into the PA cookie jar. Sunderland never had the resources or commitment from PSU that Cael had from the jump.

Of the talent PSU got, it didnt always pan out and that just further exposed the wholes in the program, when your chasing the likes of Iowa, Ok State, & Minny. Giving individual kids high % schollies that end up not maxing out points at NCAAs, is a sure fire way to finish off the podium. Look no further than TnT, pre Larry Legend and the 3" binder of gold intel.

Cael doesnt feel the pressure like Coach Sunderland did to get the top PA talent. Hes Cael freaking Sanderson for cry'n out loud. If he swings and misses, his track record inspires calm, patience, and a trust in the bigger plan.

Its really about fit. Fit with the teammates, fit with the coaches, fit with the personality of the program, etc. While we have a bunch of different personalities, I dont think its hard to see some themes that run throughout the starters.

If we cant get that in PA we can in IN, TX, IA, CA, NJ, NY, AZ and on and on. If we cant get that in PA who cares, go get them elsewhere. PA is weird with its rich suburbs and its rural farms. PA kids have similar aspects to their game, but its still an individual sport and each kid is different.

Chance, CW, Haines, among so many other top PA talent (that caused thread upon thread for WTF hot takes) for whatever reason didnt work for the athlete or PSU at the time of their recruitment. So be it, move on.

PSUs location in PA, or within the mecca that is eastern US wrestling is certainly a factor, a strong factor.

BUT it is simply an ingredient in the secret sauce that is PSU under Cael, Casey, Cody, Jake, DT, etc

#Aligningofthestars
#generational
#enjoyitwhileitlasts
We’re seeing (and will see today) what happens to a program too reliant and dependent (and comfortable) recruiting on Home grounds. Lehigh has had a succession of big, fairly highly-rated classes made up of a lot of Pa talent and they are stalled out.

I’m glad Cael has the gravitas to resist the homers and recruits whoever he wants from wherever. Ohioans are even a more homerish lot than us, so I’m sure Ryan has even more pressure to stock his roster with Ohio boys. To his credit, he also resists the comfortable route.

If you want to see what happens to a program too focused on state talent - even if the state talent is as good as anywhere - look at Texas football from 2009 onward. UT football has more resources than many countries, but Mack Brown got comfortable recruiting straight from the lists of the top 55 players in the state. The result was near calamitous for a brand like that - they had a worse record during those years than we did - despite us being coached by an 80+ year old and, then, crippled by sanctions for several years.

#Aligningofthestars
#generational
#enjoyitwhileitlasts
Don’t forget Cael is starting to spin off disciples who are preaching Penn State style to the young. But there are no 11 hour bus rides needed to show kids where it all starts - just short jaunts over a ridge or 2 or mere bike rides.

#noblackandgoldcolorschemeatM2

Last edited:
Believe PA was the top state for producing wrestling talent before the 1990's. I've linked the attached before. It shows the NCAA Div 1 champions from PA over the years. Yes, until the Cael era, relatively few went to Penn State.
Note that in 1965 there were five NCAA champions from PA, including future pro football star fullback, Jim Nance.
I can't locate a chart which shows NCAA AA's over time from PA. I'm sure it would tell a similar story though.

http://www.westyorkwrestlingalumni.com/patoncaachamps.htm

actually, 1965 was an anomaly, an outlier. I saw 4 out of the 5 '65 national champs from PA when they were in high school. Nance winning nationals was no surprise. But go forward in time and PA was inconsistent at Nationals, never coming close to dominating. But starting, I believe, about 1990 or '91, PA had the most AA's over any state every year but one as of the last I looked.

Prior to the 90's PA was just one of the better wrestling states, but Iowa and Oklahoma could claim supremacy before then. Since then it is consistently PA as knowledgeable people in every state agree.

But PSU wasn't along for the ride until Cael showed up. In the '80s, PSU had two national champs. Those big years of '88 and '89 with nine champs from PA? One was from PSU. In the 90's, PSU had one national champ from PA. In the naughties, PSU had two national champs from PA. See a pattern here?
In the teens, however, need I note that PSU has had thirteen national champs from PA.

Prior to 2011, Penn State had 12 National Champs from Pennsylvania in their entire history. Since 2011 Penn State has had 13 National Champs from Pennsylvania. Wonder Why?

I am unbelievably grateful. The closest I can remember to the feeling I get with this team was the 70s Steelers.. you just knew they were the best in the league and we're going to win the SB if all went as planned. Obviously..the as planned is what we don't control but I love having a team that is so consistently dominant to rot for and admire. Plus they are really great guys.

Per the "outlook" types of discussions we've had on the site we saw the 2018-19 season as a real blockbuster. This year surprises no one. Even the reasonable Iowa types saw it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT