ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone buying Pitt season tickets again to watch Penn State beat Pitt? It's Pitt's Super Bowl.

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
I did in '16. Hedging this year as we have at the very minimum four home games with teams superior to Pitt if not all.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
The Pitt admins will again be thumping their collective chest about the big increase in demand for 2018 season tickets. They'll again deny Penn State fans had anything to do with it.

Reactions: m48tank and psu00
What do Pitt season tickets sell for in the secondary market? About 11 bucks? Ehhhhh....might be a little high.
That's high. PSU fans that thought they could sell the remaining tickets to break even were rudely surprised. ND and Miami are on the road. After us their next biggest home game is probably Va Tech. Going to be lots of $5 tickets in 2018 on the secondary markets.

Reactions: Howie'81
I did in '16. Hedging this year as we have at the very minimum four home games with teams superior to Pitt if not all.
Season tickets are pretty cheap. The tickets for our game on the secondary market will exceed the price of the entire season ticket by a fair amount.

I've got mine. All I need now is a complimentary Lair membership.
Did you buy the tickets online from pitt? We went with 26 people to pitt last time and got killed for tickets, going back this year and wondering if this is something we should consider.
Thanks

There won't be a whole lot of tickets available on the primary market, since a lot of season tickets will get sold between us and them, plus they will give a bunch to the NLC. They are heavily invested in minimizing sales to PSU fans.

I'd definitely think about the season ticket option if I were you guys.

If you buy season tickets you can sell the remaining game tickets to folks like coupons for a free coke or root beer.

Reactions: m48tank
Why buy season tickets. They are plentiful and cheap on the secondary market. Besides any Pitt season ticket holder will jump at the chance to make a weeks worth of pizza tips for one ticket.

2h4jpxe.jpg

Pat Narduzzi says he thinks Pitt can win Championships at Pitt. He wants to change the culture. Says when he got there they won 3 straight 6 win seasons, so he decided to win 5

Last edited:
I bought on the secondary market last year and will do so again this year. First year playing them again was a big deal. Last year at home was fun. Don't think it'll be as big the next two years. Still a big deal but down a level. Pitt football is mediocre and being insulted gets old.

2h4jpxe.jpg

Pat Narduzzi says he thinks Pitt can win Championships at Pitt. He wants to change the culture. Says when he got there they won 3 straight 6 win seasons, so he decided to win 5

And brilliantly they gave him a contract extension.

And brilliantly they gave him a contract extension.
At least he's staying longer than 3 years. That's pretty impressive given their recent history of coaching hires.

In all seriousness, when they hired him it looked they did as good as could be expected given their history and finances. Unfortunately for them, they once again chose poorly and are either stuck with him or they start over again. And if they start all over again what are the chances of them choosing wisely for a change? They'd probably end up with Todd Graham for another go. Or bring Johnny Majors out of retirement again.

I've stated this before but they should have stuck with Wanny. Only guy that's won 10 games in a season in over 35 years and definitely the only guy that has ever wanted to actually be there as opposed to everyone else they've hired since Foge Fazio.

2h4jpxe.jpg

It's easy to win championships when you just make them up.

Last time, buying season tickets was easily the best way to get them. You could guarantee large numbers together, and they were cheaper than the secondary market. I was able to sell my VT tickets at face value to a friend, and then I donated the rest to charity and claimed them on my taxes (Unfortunately that is not an option this year). Given the downward trajectory of Pitt football, and the upward trajectory of Penn State football, and the fact that this is now the 3rd meeting in recent history... demand may be a bit lower. So that may balance out the change in tax law.

Since my living room has more gameday atmosphere than their rental stadium, and there are less disrespectful Pitt fans there... I think I am sitting this year out.

That sounds about what I paid. After recouping some off the rest of the season, it was by far the best one could do.

Pitt claims PSU had nothing to do with their "record breaking" season ticket sales, or that the game ended up being the largest crowd to see a sporting event in the sports enriched (talking Pro teams) city of Pittsburgh... What an asinine statement.

I too was a Pitt season ticket holder last year for 1 game, and ended up eating the majority of the rest. We had 6 of them on the 30 yardline upper deck, they were actually great seats... which I said out loud once we sat down and a Pitt fan in front of me goes.. "Welcome to the big leagues buddy, we play in a palace compared to what you're used to..."

My buddy, without skipping a beat... "Oh yea, what's the rent?" "Do you have to get permission from the steelers when you want to practice?"

His response... "Go Ped State"

Had never been to a Penn State Pitt game until 2016... had always thought everyone who said we shouldn't play them was crazy, as I love the rivalries of college football and wished State had a better one.... This confirmed Pitt was not who I wanted to take that void... what a bunch of idiots.

Anyways....

Most the PSU fans around us were all in white as were the majority in the tailgate fields.. (Was hot as hell)... If you take a close look at the photos below, you can see the split crowd on the East side of the stadium. Actually, the only part of the section that wasn't 50/50 was the student section.

mountaindewpsu-20160910163654.jpg

20160910hmnPittPSU-10.jpg

353_h.jpg

CsA2OJMWgAAfayf.jpg

I have family that talks about the BS they used to have to put up with playing sPitt almost every year... and gaining nothing from beating them almost every year. My uncle says it best... if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. If you want to be successful, hang out with people who are successful.. if you want to be known for doing things the right way, surround yourself with people who follow suit. Pitt does nothing for our program other than compare us to mediocrity.

r_XVpJpgNl8mqxMbWSwfSIhSzDAerKB2SlDG6WNjGMV9an5RlxnxxJcvA3VVkcvUd4nrLhc-_vykaNVurjVpR49xy1DSm7HkfQyspHMqKtuZ6KBIsqSarTRdthP--ANzbeYSjzFe0Zlr_qJdSyvx8ooEnDGjnNHMlF8p7-Mt8xugoMqHwxrFdQxA-nkBYhubkq8LJLe0L0DTplO4geLrW556gIv4SwDYO4Pp0xXmf9C322cywspf3PTJwRJ_sT9o9FemrMMCiOsxYjyBCcAkK_MlkuMuoNLbOZ29EQx3_wC0T5w038hAJ7AxqZrC1KCYqMemexoeKMnTHfXt8gaF_GLEMsBZQctM87uud8v5IxhtJR7UZ3CBSPnzAbAhSbocuhdjcYhYk9vUpE1JfJmG9fB5F_Ul__gkkhvx36xeC-Hh789BMUiSaakpsLXR0CR18FoVm-J1wWuDc2uHyo6D4IRz3eOF8HnXWZuuDXZ48Uc8xc-2LHzpWieTv9Z-KBYp8qHxB8W0p7ivSv0GMDBDwHTfja3WttHazny1GHpCunv1vvFr1Y_AfNu-e1gG2cls0yFXbjMmODFtt5Kb_rTD4tqz5pPoCdoRrTHb2K4=w396-h878-no

.... Here's some data from ticketcity.com regarding secondary market ticket sales.

Pittsburgh Panthers Football Tickets Information
The Pittsburgh Panthers football seasons have steadily increased in average ticket prices from 2014 to 2016 before a drop for the current 2017 season. Between the Panthers’ 2014 and 2016 college football seasons, there has been an increase in ticket averages each season. The largest increase occurred during the 2015 season moving from a $25 ticket average in 2014 to $38, which was a 54% rise. The 2017 Pittsburgh season has seen a drop in the average ticket prices with a current average of $28, this is a 38% decrease from the 2016 $45 ticket price.

pittsburgh-panthers.PNG

I was curious as to why 2015 saw the increase, besides 68,400 listed for Notre Dame... Virginia, Miami, North Carolina & Louisville averaged around 45k per game. I'd be willing to bet, the ticket prices for ND is what drove up the average, just like we drove up the average in 2016.

Youngstown State -49,969
Virginia - 45,237
Miami - 40,126
Notre dame - 68,400
Louisville - 42,119
North carolina - 43,049

Unless they're playing a well traveled opponent, Pitt fan support is non existent. They haven't finished in the top 10 since 1983. The fact that their AD can say with a straight face that he didn't think Penn State had anything to do with 2016's record breaking sales is moronic. It took me 10 minutes to do the research.

So you can't even buy Pitt season tickets online. You have to fill out an "interest form"

I called the season ticket office because I actually want to buy a few more tickets this year. It's very disorganized in that place, and they don't seem prepared to sell anything or even give out much information. My experience with that place is that they are a small-time operation that is at least partially staffed with students. Most of the time when I ask a question about anything, they put me on hold.

As soon as the series is over, they will lose me, although if they have any interesting games on the home schedule the next year I may reconsider. It's always fun to go and watch them lose.

I called the season ticket office because I actually want to buy a few more tickets this year. It's very disorganized in that place, and they don't seem prepared to sell anything or even give out much information. My experience with that place is that they are a small-time operation that is at least partially staffed with students. Most of the time when I ask a question about anything, they put me on hold.

As soon as the series is over, they will lose me, although if they have any interesting games on the home schedule the next year I may reconsider. It's always fun to go and watch them lose.
They play in the ACC Coastal, have Syracuse as a "rival" every year and play us at beaver Stadium. How could they possibly have an interesting game? :)

I got my 2016 ticket on Craigslist from a pitt fan that just couldn’t go. He was clearly unaware of the market for tickets. $20.

Needed another single for my uncle so scalped on the way in. I think I paid $130 for that one so I just looked at it as $75 per. Seats didn’t matter. We just went straight for the rotunda and stood there.

Don't do it. Please. Either suck it up and buy the tickets for our game or stay home. Don't contribute to their season tickets.

Looks like last year was $147 with no donation for season tickets to the cheapest seats.

That sounds about what I paid. After recouping some off the rest of the season, it was by far the best one could do.

When pricing your 2018 Pitt season tickets, don't forget to include your free beverage as part of the savings...

The way duzzie is killing it on the recruiting trail, and the way he is building his OL with MAC cast offs, by next Fall even the die hard pitters will be selling their game tickets cheap rather than witnessing the pounding that they will be taking vs PSU.....

ADVERTISEMENT