ADVERTISEMENT

anybody switched to Xfinity for your mobile phones?

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
I've always had Verizon for their wide coverage, but at first glance it looks like I could save at least $75 a month if I switched and took my phones over

has anybody used them?

Yes. I was told their underlying cell service is through Verizon. Good service. Same xfinity support.

Reactions: Nitt1300
I've always had Verizon for their wide coverage, but at first glance it looks like I could save at least $75 a month if I switched and took my phones over

has anybody used them?
Friend of ours did this weekend. If it ends up working out for her I'm all in. Verizon network correct?

Might want to read the fine print on data:

• Video streams at standard def (480p)
  • Data speed limited to 5-12mbps downloads, 2-5mbps upload (I just did a test on VZW's 4G LTE network and got 70mbps download and 20mbps upload)
  • If you want to do a mobile hotspot on the unlimited plan, you're limited to 600kbps (which is entirely unusable)
  • If you want to do a mobile hotspot on the "by the gig" plan, you cannot do it at all

Reactions: Dupage Lion
The only catch is, then you're married to Comcast. If you want to switch to someone else for internet, then you have to change your cell phone provider too.

But if you're in an area where Comcast is your only internet provider, then I can't see any downside.

What Comcast is basically doing is selling you Verizon service for a very competitive price. If you're a low bandwidth user it's just about the best deal you can get anywhere.

The only catch is, then you're married to Comcast. If you want to switch to someone else for internet, then you have to change your cell phone provider too.

Not true. They just charge you an additional $10 per month. You do have to have a Xfinity internet account to sign up. You do not have to keep your Xfinity internet account to keep mobile service though.

Data speed limited to 5-12mbps downloads, 2-5mbps upload (I just did a test on VZW's 4G LTE network and got 70mbps download and 20mbps upload)

I don't think this is true. I just did a test on my phone, in my office which gets horrible service and hit 29 download and 10 upload. Your first and third bullet points are definitely accurate. I don't know about your fourth -- I have always had the unlimited plan.

I don't think this is true. I just did a test on my phone, in my office which gets horrible service and hit 29 download and 10 upload. Your first and third bullet points are definitely accurate. I don't know about your fourth -- I have always had the unlimited plan.

I just read it off the Comcast site and know it is in-line with previous experience with VZW MVMOs. You're probably pinging an Xfinity public spot or other WiFi source.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/broadband-disclosures

Performance Characteristics
  • Service Description
    Over Mobile Network. XFINITY Mobile service offers mobile broadband Internet access services to its customers over 3G Ev-DO and 4G LTE mobile broadband networks. Based on our carrier partner's internal testing and testing commissioned from third-party vendors, Comcast expects customers will experience the following speeds on the XFINITY Mobile service:
    • 4G LTE network: typical download speeds of 5-12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2-5 Mbps;
    • 3G Ev-DO network: typical download speeds of 600 Kbps-1.4 Mbps and upload speeds of 500-800 Kbps for Ev-DO Rev. A devices (if you are using an Ev-DO Rev. 0 device, typical download speeds are 400-700 Kbps and upload speeds are 60-80 Kbps).

I just read it off the Comcast site and know it is in-line with previous experience with VZW MVMOs. You're probably pinging an Xfinity public spot or other WiFi source.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/broadband-disclosures

Performance Characteristics
  • Service Description
    Over Mobile Network. XFINITY Mobile service offers mobile broadband Internet access services to its customers over 3G Ev-DO and 4G LTE mobile broadband networks. Based on our carrier partner's internal testing and testing commissioned from third-party vendors, Comcast expects customers will experience the following speeds on the XFINITY Mobile service:
    • 4G LTE network: typical download speeds of 5-12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2-5 Mbps;
    • 3G Ev-DO network: typical download speeds of 600 Kbps-1.4 Mbps and upload speeds of 500-800 Kbps for Ev-DO Rev. A devices (if you are using an Ev-DO Rev. 0 device, typical download speeds are 400-700 Kbps and upload speeds are 60-80 Kbps).
Interesting. I’m not on a hotspot. Can’t get one in our building. Verizon LTE. I just ran another speed test from the cafeteria where I get full bars. Hit 41 download.

Interesting. I’m not on a hotspot. Can’t get one in our building. Verizon LTE. I just ran another speed test from the cafeteria where I get full bars. Hit 41 download.

And you have cell service from Xfinity Mobile? You don't subscribe to VZW directly?

I have two SIMs on Xfinity for data devices on the by the gig plan. They work fine but Xfinity would swear it’s not possible. Their entire model seems designed to eliminate or minimize any kind of support needed for end users.

It’s basically lower priority Verizon Wireless with some in-built credentials on the SIM for Xfinity WiFi. $12 per gig is nothing special but if you want back up access to Verizon’s network and you’re already a Comcast customer it can’t be beat. I suspect long term Comcast intends to acquire some spectrum and run their own network but can’t say for sure.

You guys testing at 40+ Mbps are likely on sites that are not congested - and by promising only 5-12 Mbps (frankly, plenty for a mobile device) you’re not let down when you get to a congested site and it slows down.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Not true. They just charge you an additional $10 per month. You do have to have a Xfinity internet account to sign up. You do not have to keep your Xfinity internet account to keep mobile service though.

That's new then, that's good news. Even at $10 a line it would still be pretty competitive if you're not using much data. they say your phone will still connect to Xfinity hotspots. ..which is good if it's saving you bandwidth.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/supp...ity-services-affect-my-xfinity-mobile-service

I have it and love it. I'm paying for new phones with Comcast and my bill is still cheaper than what it was with Verizon without the cost of the phones in the monthly bill. The cell service runs on Verizon towers so that doesn't change for those that had Verizon. Insurance on the phones is about $12 a month per phone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT