ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on Carson Manville?

LorenzoFan

Nov 22, 2017
I know he had some serious issues with compartmental syndrome, just wondering how he is and if he is still wrestling?

Snipped from. a Star Tribune Story (end of February):

A rewarding finish

Shakopee’s Carson Manville ran down the ramp leading underneath the stands following his 11-6 victory over Carl Leuer of St. Michael-Albertville at 160 pounds and straight into a bear hug from younger brother Pierson.

He’d already run into the seats to hug his family, and the embrace with his brother was followed by congratulations from fellow wrestlers, then the tears came.

“I can’t believe I did it,” said Manville, tears streaming down his face.

Emotions were running high and not just because of his newly won title. Manville was thinking about everything he’d overcome over the past two seasons.

“I had compartment syndrome,” Manville said. “I almost had to have my arm amputated. To be able to come back and do what I did, both for the team and then tonight, it’s amazing.”

At the start of the season, Manville had gained weight and was a far cry from his usual self.

“I had no strength, I had no stamina. I thought I might never be able to come back,” he said.

He did, however, losing 50 pounds to get down to 160. He got his regular spot in the lineup back in the middle of the season, losing just once. He was back.

He said the enormity of his achievement actually struck him late in his championship match.

“I had a takedown and the clock said three seconds,” he said. “I could feel the tears start to come. It just meant so much to me.”

Three-time champ

All of his career, Forest Lake senior Derrick Cardinal has been looking at the wall in the school’s wrestling room and thinking about the day that he’d be up on that wall, too.

That will no longer be a dream after Cardinal defeated Joey Novak of New Prague 4-2 at 126 pounds. Cardinal finished the season with a 50-0 record and, more important, became a three-time state champion, making him the most successful wrestler in school history.

“I’ve been in that room since I was 4, looking at the pictures on the wall,” he said. “I’m like ‘I want to be there.’ And to be first one to put three state championships on the wall.”

He won 2020 MN states this year.

Interesting find: Earl Smith (who's very on top of things) lists this in his 9/24 HS rankings:
Carson ManvilleState CollegePennsylvaniaSenior

(OT: also note that Smith does not list any commitment next to Richie Figueroa.)

He won 2020 MN states this year.

Interesting find: Earl Smith (who's very on top of things) lists this in his 9/24 HS rankings:
Carson ManvilleState CollegePennsylvaniaSenior

(OT: also note that Smith does not list any commitment next to Richie Figueroa.)

Interesting, but not surprising. How high was Carson ranked before his injuries?

I'm probably the wrestling community's least-capable Trackwrestling user, so using screenshot here, but this is Carson's record this past year:

XiKfqpj.png

A pretty fascinating rebound from that ugly injury situation: 3 different weights, lots of tight bouts, but also lots and lots of wins, with a Championship finish. Tough kid--mentally & physically!

Forget winning it all, which is admirable on it's own ... to recover and still have his arm and be able to use it, let alone wrestle, is a terrific enough result for the young man. Anything he accomplishes from here on out, regardless where he goes, is gravy.

M2 now offering Novice classes as well. I'd say they cover it all :)

The Manvilles are not stupid -- keep the family together, establish in-state residence, good free schools, and train with the local world champ.

Speaking of M2, another interesting name in the pipeline (plus gotta love Willie's reply):

Carson and Pierson will both beat at State College Hs this year. They should have a really solid team.

SC returns 12 starters from a decent team last year including state qualifiers H. Cunningham (38-6), O. Woolcott (34-9), and L. Urbas (34-7). Add in the P. Manville (59-5, 3rd at 126 MN state), C. Manville (30-1, 1st at 160 MN state), and incoming frosh A. Cunningham and you can see why Willie says they will be solid.

SC returns 12 starters from a decent team last year including state qualifiers H. Cunningham (38-6), O. Woolcott (34-9), and L. Urbas (34-7). Add in the P. Manville (59-5, 3rd at 126 MN state), C. Manville (30-1, 1st at 160 MN state), and incoming frosh A. Cunningham and you can see why Willie says they will be solid.
Very stoked for the team this year with this news. Best team SC has filled it in a long time! A pity that it has to be during an asterisk year.

The Manvilles are not stupid -- keep the family together, establish in-state residence, good free schools, and train with the local world champ.

Speaking of M2, another interesting name in the pipeline (plus gotta love Willie's reply):
Wait, I didn't see this one coming. M2 has elite level kids coming in to train there, go to SC, become PA residents, train even earlier with NLWC guys? I mean is there any chance SC turns into a Blair or something while this is all happening and Cunningham kids are coming up through?

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Wait, I didn't see this one coming. M2 has elite level kids coming in to train there, go to SC, become PA residents, train even earlier with NLWC guys? I mean is there any chance SC turns into a Blair or something while this is all happening and Cunningham kids are coming up through?
I'm old enough to remember PSU being doomed by the Stilly High Pipeline to OKST.

Is M2 in pleasant gap. I keep seeing some of our wrestlers running out there by the mall. Looks like a nice place if that is where it is.

Yes, building used to be Knights of Columbus. About a block from the intersection of College Avenue & Route 144.

Reactions: nitlion6
Yes it's in pleasant gap where that old auto shop used to be . the redhorse still out there at the light? Extreme custom cycles just up the road as well.

Bo is putting his MMA gym in right before M2 if you're sitting at the red light facing the direction of M2.

Is M2 in pleasant gap. I keep seeing some of our wrestlers running out there by the mall. Looks like a nice place if that is where it is.

Yes, building used to be Knights of Columbus. About a block from the intersection of College Avenue & Route 144.
Is the taco place still open? Every time I've gone by lately, it looks deserted.

Coincidently, Ken Chertow used the same building in the late 90's for a short period to train local high school kids prior to building his own facility in Boalsburg. Was a big factor in the string of local Count PIAA State Champs during that time period.

It’s kind of weird to think about them being in the same weight class and wrestling each other back in the day. Looking at Taylor wrestling 74kg, it was apparent to me that he was, at the very least, a 79kg guy. Just didn’t have the mass or motor at 74kg to go with guys like Burroughs. Too skinny.

I don’t think JB wants anything to do with full grown David Taylor.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
ADVERTISEMENT