ADVERTISEMENT

Any info on 197 injury?

lostlion

Aug 15, 2007
If Rasheed is injured(?), is there any info?
I can see any number of reasons for Cassar to get the opportunity last Saturday. It didn't have to be by default.

No info from me, but Cael said in the coaches show they might mix up the lineup again, so, Sheed saturday?

I'm pretty sure I saw Rasheed warming up during the 184 match. I sit in section W1L and have a direct line of sight to the area where our guys warm up just prior to their match. I'm sure I saw Shakur back there, with his headgear on. Seems like it was a last minute decision to go with Cassar, unless he was out there to fool the Buckeyes. That doesn't seem like something Cael would bother to do, though. As usual, I could be wrong.

Reactions: razorsedgeCE
For the folks that think Cassar went cause he is a better matchup against Moore...

What makes you think that? Strength?

I understand Cassar's excellent on his feet but Rasheed seems to be pretty explosive as well. Rasheed also seems to be much better than Cassar on the mat.

There is a video clip in a different thread, behind the team, when the Snyder/Nevills match ends and the team and Rec Hall goes crazy. It sure looks like Shakur jumping around with his teammates; if the injury was an ankle injury, it couldn't have been too bad from what I saw.

I'm pretty sure I saw Rasheed warming up during the 184 match. I sit in section W1L and have a direct line of sight to the area where our guys warm up just prior to their match. I'm sure I saw Shakur back there, with his headgear on. Seems like it was a last minute decision to go with Cassar, unless he was out there to fool the Buckeyes. That doesn't seem like something Cael would bother to do, though. As usual, I could be wrong.
Cassar said in postmatch interview that he knew he was going to go for a few days (likely shortly after the wrestle-off where Rasheed was injured).

Reactions: nappa
For the folks that think Cassar went cause he is a better matchup against Moore...

I understand Cassar's excellent on his feet but Rasheed seems to be pretty explosive as well. Rasheed also seems to be much better than Cassar on the mat.

That was just a hypothetical on my part because Cassar seems a little more polished.
I have no idea if that is the reason.

Someone somewhere (I forget where, darn old memory) postulated that Moore is a lefty and has stated he likes wrestling against right handed wrestlers because it gives him some advantage. They said that Anthony is also a lefty so it nullified that advantage. No clue of this is a bunch of hooey or not.

Reactions: tabenn

In the post match interview Cassar said he knew he was going for the “last several days”.

I wonder if there is any chance the NCAA would let PSU have 2 guys at 197 in March in lieu of either a 125 or 133.

Seriously though, it is both great and sad (for the two that don't get to go to NCAAS) that PSU has 3 guys at 197 that are top 10 guys.

I guess that is what happens with the really competitive programs. There are plenty of all Americans that couldn't even crack the starting lineup at PSU or tOSU even if they are willing to change weight.

Reactions: PSU James
I wonder if there is any chance the NCAA would let PSU have 2 guys at 197 in March in lieu of either a 125 or 133.

Seriously though, it is both great and sad (for the two that don't get to go to NCAAS) that PSU has 3 guys at 197 that are top 10 guys.

I guess that is what happens with the really competitive programs. There are plenty of all Americans that couldn't even crack the starting lineup at PSU or tOSU even if they are willing to change weight.
the real sad part will be the second guessing if the one we send loses early... I think we should simply get behind who Cael sends out regardless of one's outside opinion.

Remember the X factor that is not being discussed. Other than each other, who do you think is one of the prime workout partners for the 197s?

The answer is Cael!!!!

Its no wonder why both have grown so much so fast this year. Likewise I think this is playing in to why Cael is still s bit undecided. Give Cassar Shakur's motor and agression and he would be a NC candidate. He has the build, the strength and his freestyle pedigree gives him a fantastic neutral game. I think these attributes were exactly what is hard for Moore to counter. I think Cael not only sees who Cassar is but what he can become with more work and confidence.

Shakur is more of a wild man, risk taker and point machine. He has sent many good ranked wrestlers to the walk of shame off the mat, let alone in the first Period. His resume this year is very impressive, and it seems if rumors are true about the wrestle off he might have Cassar's number now too.

Oddly a resume full of 1 minute matches has Cael wondering if he is a one hit wonder. If you saw Cael's reaction in the scuffle finals it was hilarious. Rasheed locks him up in a cradle right out of the gate, and Cael buries his head in his hands, briefly yes, but look at the tape - a very strange and comical reaction to your wrestler working towards another pin. I know Cael wants to see him go more 3 period matches and win against tough guys, earn riding time points, turn people without the cradle, escape from bottom, etc..

Cael sees Shak's results as do we all, but maybe Cael grappling with them every day has him seeing things that has him not yet convinced.

If there was a wrestle off, one would think that would settle it, then again beating #1 convincingly in a must win situation, would in most circumstances be a free pass to starter.

Too bad this is definitely not most circumstances. In the end I trust in Cael, but I don't envy the choice.

Someone somewhere (I forget where, darn old memory) postulated that Moore is a lefty and has stated he likes wrestling against right handed wrestlers because it gives him some advantage. They said that Anthony is also a lefty so it nullified that advantage. No clue of this is a bunch of hooey or not.
IIRC, they mentioned that on the broadcast

Just wondering, but is Rasheed's injury history a factor here? I realize that both of them have dealt with injuries, but even with this recent little ding, it just seems like Rasheed gets injured so often. Is there more risk in making him the starter at NCAAs and he injury defaults out in round 1?

Damn, I'd hate to have to make this call.

It’s all about matchups/styles. Luckily, Cassar was the perfect matchup against Moore because of his style. Good defense and reattacks will beat Moore all day. That said, Rasheed will have a better shot against the rest of the field than Cassar would.

I do think that Cassar had a better shot of beating Moore than Rasheed would have.

Cassar can beat anyone, but also get beat by anyone. I can’t see Rasheed losing to anyone ranked outside of the top 12. Tough to sit Cassar after that match, but I think that’s the right/safest call.

It’s all about matchups/styles. Luckily, Cassar was the perfect matchup against Moore because of his style. Good defense and reattacks will beat Moore all day. That said, Rasheed will have a better shot against the rest of the field than Cassar would.

I do think that Cassar had a better shot of beating Moore than Rasheed would have.

Cassar can beat anyone, but also get beat by anyone. I can’t see Rasheed losing to anyone ranked outside of the top 12. Tough to sit Cassar after that match, but I think that’s the right/safest call.

Mostly agree, but Rasheed did lose to Kyle Conel.

Reactions: D3wrestler
Thought I saw that on an opposing team forum. Maybe ohiowrestling.net.

Back when he still had an injury lingering.

Different part of his body is hurt now though haha not real bad but enough to cause some minor pain.

Interesting. I assumed he was injured in the Darmstadt match, but you're saying he came into the tournament with it. Good info. Thanks.

Remember the X factor that is not being discussed. Other than each other, who do you think is one of the prime workout partners for the 197s?

The answer is Cael!!!!

Its no wonder why both have grown so much so fast this year. Likewise I think this is playing in to why Cael is still s bit undecided. Give Cassar Shakur's motor and agression and he would be a NC candidate. He has the build, the strength and his freestyle pedigree gives him a fantastic neutral game. I think these attributes were exactly what is hard for Moore to counter. I think Cael not only sees who Cassar is but what he can become with more work and confidence.

Shakur is more of a wild man, risk taker and point machine. He has sent many good ranked wrestlers to the walk of shame off the mat, let alone in the first Period. His resume this year is very impressive, and it seems if rumors are true about the wrestle off he might have Cassar's number now too.

Oddly a resume full of 1 minute matches has Cael wondering if he is a one hit wonder. If you saw Cael's reaction in the scuffle finals it was hilarious. Rasheed locks him up in a cradle right out of the gate, and Cael buries his head in his hands, briefly yes, but look at the tape - a very strange and comical reaction to your wrestler working towards another pin. I know Cael wants to see him go more 3 period matches and win against tough guys, earn riding time points, turn people without the cradle, escape from bottom, etc..

Cael sees Shak's results as do we all, but maybe Cael grappling with them every day has him seeing things that has him not yet convinced.

If there was a wrestle off, one would think that would settle it, then again beating #1 convincingly in a must win situation, would in most circumstances be a free pass to starter.

Too bad this is definitely not most circumstances. In the end I trust in Cael, but I don't envy the choice.

Two studs at 97. There's certainly worse problems to have.

Reactions: razorsedgeCE
Two studs at 97. There's certainly worse problems to have.
There certainly is and I would add, we had 3 top flight 97s until Cutch's unfortunate injury, golly what depth. I will say if there is merit to the apparent wrestle off Sheed and Cassar had last week, and Rasheed did indeed win and is healthy enough to effectively compete in the post-season, one might assume that it would be an awfully tough pill for him to swallow if he didn't get the nod come March.

Does anyone think that Cassar went Sat. night because Cael did not want Moore to see Sheed or have any tip on his style and he may be saved for the NCAA championships for his scoring potential, someone Moore did not wrestle already so he can't prepare for a familiar foe?

Does anyone think that Cassar went Sat. night because Cael did not want Moore to see Sheed or have any tip on his style and he may be saved for the NCAA championships for his scoring potential, someone Moore did not wrestle already so he can't prepare for a familiar foe?

Not me. I don't see what the advantage would be. Wouldn't it work both ways? Shak hasn't wrestled Moore so now he can't prepare for a familiar foe, right? Besides, their a ton of matches for both guys that can be watched.

I would say size is a big factor, Rasheed weight is about 192, so he is somewhat under sizes--this can be a big deal in the 3rd

I would say size is a big factor, Rasheed weight is about 192, so he is somewhat under sizes--this can be a big deal in the 3rd

It can also be a big advantage in the 3rd if you are not cutting weight. Easier to go hard all 7 minutes than someone that is cutting a bunch of weight. Also, I don't know what weight Shak is walking around at these days, but I'm betting it is more than 192.

ADVERTISEMENT