ADVERTISEMENT

Any idea how many Penn State players have hit the portal?

Sullivan

Nov 24, 2001
And how many have actually announced that they will be transferring? When you factor in graduation, I'm curious as to how many of the 85 scholarship players will be back.

TOS tracks this info. And by the way, PSU is lower than almost any other top team in players hitting the portal (so far).

Reactions: Sullivan
And how many have actually announced that they will be transferring? When you factor in graduation, I'm curious as to how many of the 85 scholarship players will be back.

We have how many Penn State players at the bottom of each transfer portal article though I’ll look into creating a board post for itself later today.

Currently seven players have entered and Penn State sits at 90 scholarship players, so they’ll need to get down to 85.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw165 and Sullivan

We have how many Penn State players at the bottom of each transfer portal article though I’ll look into creating a board lost for itself later today.

Currently seven players have entered and Penn State sits at 90 scholarship players, so they’ll need to get down to 85.
Ouch, that means to get better we actually need to have about 10 more portal so we can pick up 5 from the portal. This doesn't look good.

We have how many Penn State players at the bottom of each transfer portal article though I’ll look into creating a board post for itself later today.

What is the deadline for attaining that target number?

TOS tracks this info. And by the way, PSU is lower than almost any other top team in players hitting the portal (so far).
If we were a top team, then this would make sense and be acceptable. However, we are not a good team, so the lack of processing of players to the transfer portal does not make sense. But I do expect at least a half a dozen more players to hit the transfer portal soon or over the summer. We have to get down to the 85 scholarship count and I think we are over the 85 count as of now.

More will enter portal after Spring Practice when they see where they stand with the staff.

Technically yes, meaning they are leaving Penn State.....but deciding for yourself to go to the portal is MUCH different than the staff pushing you out the door.
wonder how many portal players were processed but everyone says they made the decision to save face? But yes deciding to seek a better deal versus being suggested time to move on to life work......

wonder how many portal players were processed but everyone says they made the decision to save face? But yes deciding to seek a better deal versus being suggested time to move on to life work......
Now with two signing periods, the portal, coaches leaving, players leaving early, spring games being shown on TV and NIL, coaches and player management is fluid throughout the year. No longer can you have exit interviews in January and again in may.

I've not been part of those meeting but have a former player who was. These kids aren't stupid, they can see the writing on the wall and a lot of times when the coach calls them into the office to talk about their playing time situation, it really ends up being a mutual agreement on the kid choosing to leave.

I read that of the scholarship players that went into the portal last year, 40% ended up not having a scholarship this year. That's a really high percentage, although it could be that some of them were not going to have a scholarship this year even if they stayed where they were and didn't enter the portal.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I read that of the scholarship players that went into the portal last year, 40% ended up not having a scholarship this year. That's a really high percentage, although it could be that some of them were not going to have a scholarship this year even if they stayed where they were and didn't enter the portal.
That’s a pretty high number. Should make kids be cautious about the grass on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: LMTLION
At Penn State the kids get a 4 year scholarship OR until graduation, whichever comes first. Contributing players almost always have the opportunity to take a 5th year if needed. What I'm not sure about is if Franklin would let them all back on the team. We know he let Wade back, regrettably, but I'm not so sure if the others would be welcome back. So, if a kid enters the portal without a solid lead (illegal per the rules) than they are making a bad choice.

Are they allowed to ask a confidant such as their HS coach to see if any suitors are interested? After year 5 or 6 of the portal it will be interesting to compare post-portal graduation rates with pre-portal graduation rates

A ton and they often get ripped apart by fans despite basically being told to get out.

The assumptions that our back ups would be stars at lower levels is at best 50/50. Dan Reeder left for U Delaware and is in the NFL while Andre Robinson and the WR Darien barely saw the field as Blue Hens. Living 1/2 mile from the DE line and 11 miles from Newark I've followed our guys who land there closely going all the way back to QB Craig McCoy who was my age and left State for the Hens. IIRC he promptly got mono and couldn't unseat their starter...a guy named Gannon who had a pretty good career....

Now with two signing periods, the portal, coaches leaving, players leaving early, spring games being shown on TV and NIL, coaches and player management is fluid throughout the year. No longer can you have exit interviews in January and again in may.

I've not been part of those meeting but have a former player who was. These kids aren't stupid, they can see the writing on the wall and a lot of times when the coach calls them into the office to talk about their playing time situation, it really ends up being a mutual agreement on the kid choosing to leave.
That's probably true, because that kid who isn't playing is probably every bit as good as the starter, just slightly behind him in some area that the coach feels is important. The kid probably recognizes that and agrees to move on to a place where his skills are now superior to everyone else or his identified deficiency is not that big of a deal to another program for whatever reason (system, depth, level of skill, etc.)

On that note, everyone should watch Cheer! on Netflix (not for the fake drama or the non-sport related stuff), but for the actual competition prep, team selection, and psychology/interaction between the players and coaches once the roster is set. It does a good job of showing all points of view on playing time on a highly competitive team sport (like Alabama football level). Every bench player on the show says the same thing: "I can do what the starter is doing, so why am I not starting?" The coaches literally tell them that the difference between who plays and who sits is teensy, maybe one particular skill that someone does just slightly better or slightly more consistently than the bench sitter; so that person plays. Since everyone is basically a 9.8 out of 10, the goal is fielding a team that will make the fewest mistakes, not necessarily building a team that is athletically superior. Really interesting to watch and easily applicable to other, more contact driven sports.

So with these 7 players not on scholarship, where does that leave us in regards to the 85 limit?

ADVERTISEMENT