ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance we can skip the next step in the COVID debate?

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
I can see it now--there will be a series of heated discussions about how much social distancing "flattened the curve" vs. how flawed the government models were from the beginning. I am already seeing posts addressing the issue, indicating that everyone who disagrees with the poster's position is a complete idiot. Usually, these types of posts are coming from people who were very vocally doom and gloom about COVID. I get it--they are now trying to save face.

But no matter where you are on the political or scientific spectrum, no one knows. There isn't, and there won't be, enough reliable data available to answer the question. Any chance we can skip this debate?

I didn't think so.

I can see it now--there will be a series of heated discussions about how much social distancing "flattened the curve" vs. how flawed the government models were from the beginning. I am already seeing posts addressing the issue, indicating that everyone who disagrees with the poster's position is a complete idiot. Usually, these types of posts are coming from people who were very vocally doom and gloom about COVID. I get it--they are now trying to save face.

But no matter where you are on the political or scientific spectrum, no one knows. There isn't, and there won't be, enough reliable data available to answer the question. Any chance we can skip this debate?

I didn't think so.

Didn’t you just start the debate with your post?

I didn't think so.

Thanks for starting a thread about something you don't want to talk about.

The original models were as good as the current models. And social distancing did what was predicted. I have no clue what point you’re trying to make.

The original models were as good as the current models. And social distancing did what was predicted. I have no clue what point you’re trying to make.

You have made my point for me. You have absolutely no idea what impact social distancing has had. Probably some positive impact, but how much positive impact is anyone's guess.

Reactions: jwarigaku
You have made my point for me. You have absolutely no idea what impact social distancing has had. Probably some positive impact, but how much positive impact is anyone's guess.

LOL. Not worth getting into it with you. There is plenty of evidence. You just don’t want to know about and won’t be convinced anyway.

I didn't think so.

There's no debate to be had -- that is, based on actual facts, which, granted, don't matter much these days.

The fact is, the models were specifically predicated on social distancing, which had already been implemented. It was already baked into the cake, in other words.

Which means the models were seriously wrong. Period. End paragraph.

We shut down the economy and threw 17 million people (and counting) out of work based on grotesquely mistaken models that were in turn amplified 24/7 by the media.

Not to worry though. The "experts" who said this was necessary will be back pontificating with the same aplomb tomorrow and will be taken seriously.

This would almost be funny if it weren't doing so much damage to the lives of so many people.

You mean the models are bad, just like the climate change models.

I didn't think so.

Huh? Is there actually a debate about THAT? Look, I'm of the opinion that the one-size-fits-all extreme social distancing strategy that our governments employed was not the best strategy.... But I have no idea how someone could believe that it hasn't "flattened the curve." It's an absolute fact that it "flattened the curve."

Perhaps some people don't actually understand what "flatten the curve" (with regards to viruses {grin}) means?

To quote “The data is anecdotal”.

Huh? Is there actually a debate about THAT? Look, I'm of the opinion that the one-size-fits-all extreme social distancing strategy that our governments employed was not the best strategy.... But I have no idea how someone could believe that it hasn't "flattened the curve." It's an absolute fact that it "flattened the curve."

Perhaps some people don't actually understand what "flatten the curve" (with regards to viruses {grin}) means?

ADVERTISEMENT