ADVERTISEMENT

Any Bloomington recommendations?

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
We’re heading to Bloomington for the game then to Indy for the Bills vs Colts on Sunday. Staying out in Edinburgh.

We don’t have a lot of time but would like to check out Bloomington on Saturday before and after the game. Thoughts on sites/traditions/restaurants that are must-sees?

For Indy, it will be pregame tailgate then hang for a couple hours before heading out of town Sunday night.

First of al, smart move by NOT staying in B - town for the weekend. Like State College - or any college town on a football weekend - rates in hotels are through the roof. I usually stay in a town call Martinsville and drive into the stadium. The traffic isn't bad, unlike Happy Valley. As far as things to do try Googling that subject and you'll get what interests you. Expect long lines after the game however. One place we enjoy dining at is Mother Bear's Pizza, just south of the campus. Nice atmosphere, good food..but again, lots of people are there so expect to wait in line. Have fun!

Reactions: thewop
We’re heading to Bloomington for the game then to Indy for the Bills vs Colts on Sunday. Staying out in Edinburgh.

We don’t have a lot of time but would like to check out Bloomington on Saturday before and after the game. Thoughts on sites/traditions/restaurants that are must-sees?

For Indy, it will be pregame tailgate then hang for a couple hours before heading out of town Sunday night.
Get in. Get out.:)

not mine but ...
https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/10...niversity-bloomington-college-food-guide.html

on 'Campus Eats' (B1G TV) there was a pizza place that looked great, I think it is mentioned here...

Nick's on Kirkwood is great, but will be rough getting into due to crowd. Mother Bear's on 3rd is great too.
It's a beautiful place to walk around and take in all the scenery.

Tailgating aplenty, in grass lots especially.

Right after you pass the first exit to Bloomington pass all the others. Keep filling the tank as any times as need till you end up somewhere nice and interesting.

Since you are staying in Edinburgh, here are a couple things near your hotel (I assume)
- there are outlet malls right by the hotels
- Montana Mike's right there - eaten there plenty of times - decent place to get a steak and beer
- Cracker Barrel right there as well if you want something other than the hotel breakfast
Drive down to Columbus for dinner tonight if you have time. Tre Bicchieri is good, and there is a sports bar as well (though you might as well walk to Montana Mike's if you want a sports bar atmosphere)

Thanks! Fixed. I hate when I do that...
I'm an Iowa fan dipping in for the game discussion, but having been to bloomington a few times was interested to read your experience. Interesting you went to Nick's, it's an institution, but I had the same reaction to the food there. Sink the biz is...barbaric, but I did it anyway because when in Rome...

For your next trip, Mother Bear's pizza is really good. Janko's Little Zagreb is a fantastic experience for steaks. It has wood paneled walls, plastic red/white checkered tablecloths, and really good steaks; great character! The ribeye is their specialty. Another favorite is Upland Brewing, however there are breweries that serve food in nearly every town anymore, so I'd probably do that one last. Buffa-louis is another B'town dive of note. Many kinds of chicken wings/tenders, and a bell to ring on the way out...

I believe several of those were also featured on campus eats. Thanks for the write-up.

Reactions: step.eng69
Thanks for the suggestions on Bloomington. We had a great time and would recommend a trip to Bloomington. It’s a beautiful campus with friendly fans.

Here’s a write up of our trip.

https://wanderingspectator.wordpress.com/2018/10/23/sinking-the-hoosiers-in-bloomington/

Nice writeup. Judging from your pics, I was sitting about 15-20 rows directly behind you. Definitely the windiest PSU game I've ever been to. I was also at Nick's from about noon until 1:30 and I have to agree with ya on the food. I didn't really have expectations and while the portions were plentiful, it just didn't pop the tastebuds. Those fries were outstanding, though.

I also went to Nick's after the game. I have to disagree on the food. I thought the Stromboli was great, but maybe that was because I was drunk and starving. Of course, I'm not sure why they call it a stromboli. It's nothing like the strombolis I've had.

ADVERTISEMENT