ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-semitism at PSU

I see that the menorah was recovered, but did I miss it that someone was arrested? How are motives being determined without talking with the culprit?

I see that the menorah was recovered, but did I miss it that someone was arrested? How are motives being determined without talking with the culprit?
I do not believe that anyone has been arrested in connection with either incident.

It was an outdoor menorah. It was taken last Thursday evening, and "returned" in damaged condition on Friday morning.

Nobody has been arrested for the incident.

It may have been a random act of theft, of frat kids being frat kids, of college students being stupid, etc. All are possibilities for what took place, as well as it being an intentional anti-semitic action. Only time will tell.

Answer me this, then: You work for a large corporation, or say you want to run for political office. Would you prefer company management know your religion or know that you are an atheist? Which do you think in the majority of cases most likely would negatively affect your chances for advancement? Second, do you know of any successful candidates for public office that are confirmed atheists? I do not, but I do know of Protestants, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Homosexuals, African Americans, Native Americans, etc. Point is, there is a huge stigma in this country associated with being either atheist or agnostic. Because of this I suspect the actual percentage of people in this category is significantly higher than reported primarily due to fear of some form of retribution.

Just to be clear, my post was an honest question as to how atheists are - I think you put it - the most discriminated against group.

That said, nothing you typed is evidence of discrimination. There is nobody told that they must believe in God. That is actually what the Establishment clause prevents.

With regard to politics, this is not evidence of discrimination, this is an alignment of values. If we're being honest, vocal atheists aren't live and let live types who simply think religious people believe in a myth. They are in fact anti-religion and demand no religion as a matter of policy. Most people of faith probably wouldn't vote for someone with such a diametrically opposed world view. As for your assertion that there are a bunch of silent atheists running around, I suspect they are the live and let live types and there are probably a number in politics. You just haven't heard about them because it's not a major issue in their life or candidacy.

My daughter has class with one of the ZBT brothers. He told her that they have security cameras and have identified the criminals. He wouldn't tell her who they are but did say that legal action, both criminal and civil, will be taking place soon.

You're conveniently overlooking the Middle East today.

And let's not forget the Muslim American community and the likes of Louis Farrakhan. Comparatively, the modern KKK is insignificant.
I would just caution against comparing Farrakhan’s religious sect (Nation of Islam) with mainstream American Muslims. That’s like comparing all Protestants to Westboro Baptist Church.

I think, ironically, it is due to religious fanaticism from all sides. In other words, the attitude that "our way is the only way." Therein lies the problem.

So true. And you must have the courage to standup against the bully pulpit whenever hate is being preached. The inherent problem with faith is it can (and often does) lead to blind faith. That's why I remain skeptical of religion. Too many people use 'the good book' as leverage to exert blind obedience from the flock.

Reactions: nits74 and Ski
Shouldn't this thread title read "Anti-Semitism near PSU" or better yet "Anti-Semitism in State college"?

It's like people can't wait to associate bad things with Penn State.

I think, ironically, it is due to religious fanaticism from all sides. In other words, the attitude that "our way is the only way." Therein lies the problem.

So true. And you must have the courage to standup against the bully pulpit whenever hate is being preached. The inherent problem with faith is it can (and often does) lead to blind faith. That's why I remain skeptical of religion. Too many people use 'the good book' as leverage to exert blind obedience from the flock.
First off, as a deeply religious person, I detest racism or bigotry of any kind. Perhaps this whole act of vandalism at Penn State was just that and nothing more. Case in point some years ago some teenagers toppled tombstones at a local church cemetery. Turns out the teens knew nothing about the church or the faith that the church possessed. They just wanted to vandalize something for “fun” and it wasn’t their first time doing so. People do dumb things often without reason, especially teenagers and college age kids.

Religious fanaticism I honestly think is not the world’s most destructive force but rather the emergence of a completely apathetic society, steeped in relativism, and accountable to nothing but their own egos.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Exactly! To the extent it still exists, I have no clue. I don't know a single person who associates or defends the KKK. It's of no consequence here.

I'm not saying there's no lingering bigotry in some isolated pockets.

What you see today is the effect. Identity politics is the cause.

It's not just the KKK. They are diversified now. You also have other organized groups like Neo-Nazis, White Nationalists, Skinheads, Christian extremists, etc

Sounds like something a religious fanatic would say.
I'm sorry... I teach Philosophy so when someone makes some comments about religion, it's just to darn fun to not jump in the cesspool of internet dialogue.. Now if something I wrote you feel was incorrect...please feel free to demonstrate why I'm wrong... But I submit to you this. If your definition (an I'm sure it's not) of a "religious fanatic" is someone who takes his/her faith seriously and applies his/her convictions to daily life...then yes I fit the mold of a religious fanatic. And just to throw some of my fanaticism your way, and I hope not to destroy your day, but I wish you a very Merry Christmas and happy New Year.
Go State... Beat Kentucky

So, yeah, I too am looking for Miles Sanders to have a big day against kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT