ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-semitism at PSU

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
The menorah at the ZBT house was stolen and vandalized. It has since been recovered. After the events in Pittsburgh, this is a particularly chilling development. The University has issued the following statement on this matter.

The Free Expression of Religious Beliefs
by Dr. Eric Barron | Dec 2, 2018 | 3 comments

Freedom of religion is at the very foundation of the United States, codified as the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights. Even more importantly, we recognize the free choice of worship as a fundamental human right. We are approaching a season where many of us will be celebrating some of our most valued traditions and beliefs. It is worth taking a moment to consider how we would feel if the symbols of our religious beliefs were stolen, or vandalized, or if the expression of our most sacred beliefs risked violence.

The menorah shares the universal message of religious freedom. It symbolizes universal enlightenment, and that good will prevail over evil, freedom over oppression, and light over darkness. Lighting the menorah is a joyous time that gives us the opportunity to celebrate and reflect on the messages of light, truth and goodness.

Unfortunately, today my thoughts are on anti-Semitism and the ugly truth that it still exists in our society. My thoughts are on the risks to every religion and set of beliefs if we do not join together in protecting our fundamental human rights.

Within the last week, the Zeta Beta Tau menorah was vandalized and then stolen in two separate incidents. I am deeply saddened by these incidents. Every individual who treasures their personal faith should be saddened by these incidents.

Attacks that target the Jewish faith are chilling, particularly in light of the recent horrific shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue, which serves many Penn State faculty, staff, students and alumni. Nationally there is an increase of anti-Semitism. According to the Anti-Defamation League’s report, the number of anti-Semitic incidents was nearly 60 percent higher in 2017 than in 2016, marking the largest single-year increase on record and the second-highest number reported since the organization began collecting incident data. In the context of the national climate, we need to protect against hate and prejudice of any kind, they have no place in our community or society.

The Zeta Beta Tau menorah was recovered, but there is lasting damage — to the menorah, the Jewish community, and to all Penn Staters who value their own personal rights of worship. It is difficult for me to fathom why anyone would engage in such acts, and I know I’m not alone. I have seen our Penn State community unite to support and encourage one another. There is tremendous good in the hearts of those who live, learn and work on our campuses. We cannot allow the misguided and hateful acts of a few to stand unchallenged. If you see something, say something.

At this time, I also ask that you extend extra kindness to those in Zeta Beta Tau and the entire Jewish community. Let them know they are not alone, and we are united in condemning all acts of hate and intimidation. Resources are available for individuals in our community through CAPS, and I encourage you to use them.

Finally, I ask you reflect on what the menorah means. I ask you to reflect on the importance of being able to worship freely to you personally, regardless of your faith. We have an obligation to illuminate the world, and to be one by cherishing our diversity and our fundamental human rights. Thank you for taking this moment to reflect on what we value. I hope to see you at Wednesday’s menorah lighting on Old Main lawn.

I'm nothing close to being a spiritual person and freely admit I don't know all the reasons behind much religious bigotry. Therefore anti-Semitism I see in the news seems idiotic to me as I'm sure it does to many others who know the origins of it. Respect others and allow them to worship as they see fit. Why is that such a hard concept for some people to understand and accept??

From ancient Egypt through medieval Europe to the modern KKK, anti Semitism has somehow survived. It seems that we do not learn from history- at least not all of us do.

="Nitwit, post: 3848331, member: 1150"]The menorah at the ZBT house was stolen and vandalized. It has since been recovered. After the events in Pittsburgh, this is a particularly chilling development. The University has issued the following statement on this matter.

The Free Expression of Religious Beliefs
by Dr. Eric Barron | Dec 2, 2018 | 3 comments

Freedom of religion is at the very foundation of the United States, codified as the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights. Even more importantly, we recognize the free choice of worship as a fundamental human right. We are approaching a season where many of us will be celebrating some of our most valued traditions and beliefs. It is worth taking a moment to consider how we would feel if the symbols of our religious beliefs were stolen, or vandalized, or if the expression of our most sacred beliefs risked violence.

The menorah shares the universal message of religious freedom. It symbolizes universal enlightenment, and that good will prevail over evil, freedom over oppression, and light over darkness. Lighting the menorah is a joyous time that gives us the opportunity to celebrate and reflect on the messages of light, truth and goodness.

Unfortunately, today my thoughts are on anti-Semitism and the ugly truth that it still exists in our society. My thoughts are on the risks to every religion and set of beliefs if we do not join together in protecting our fundamental human rights.

Within the last week, the Zeta Beta Tau menorah was vandalized and then stolen in two separate incidents. I am deeply saddened by these incidents. Every individual who treasures their personal faith should be saddened by these incidents.

Attacks that target the Jewish faith are chilling, particularly in light of the recent horrific shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue, which serves many Penn State faculty, staff, students and alumni. Nationally there is an increase of anti-Semitism. According to the Anti-Defamation League’s report, the number of anti-Semitic incidents was nearly 60 percent higher in 2017 than in 2016, marking the largest single-year increase on record and the second-highest number reported since the organization began collecting incident data. In the context of the national climate, we need to protect against hate and prejudice of any kind, they have no place in our community or society.

The Zeta Beta Tau menorah was recovered, but there is lasting damage — to the menorah, the Jewish community, and to all Penn Staters who value their own personal rights of worship. It is difficult for me to fathom why anyone would engage in such acts, and I know I’m not alone. I have seen our Penn State community unite to support and encourage one another. There is tremendous good in the hearts of those who live, learn and work on our campuses. We cannot allow the misguided and hateful acts of a few to stand unchallenged. If you see something, say something.

At this time, I also ask that you extend extra kindness to those in Zeta Beta Tau and the entire Jewish community. Let them know they are not alone, and we are united in condemning all acts of hate and intimidation. Resources are available for individuals in our community through CAPS, and I encourage you to use them.

Finally, I ask you reflect on what the menorah means. I ask you to reflect on the importance of being able to worship freely to you personally, regardless of your faith. We have an obligation to illuminate the world, and to be one by cherishing our diversity and our fundamental human rights. Thank you for taking this moment to reflect on what we value. I hope to see you at Wednesday’s menorah lighting on Old Main lawn.

I just DO NOT get it. I've been a stupid asshole quite a few times in my life, mostly when I was a teenager, young adult, but I've never, ever, acted out of malice. I just don't understand how people can be motivated by the kind of hate I'm seeing here.

What don't you get?

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30897934/...-after-he-jokes-that-he-doesnt-believe-in-god

Reactions: nits74
I certainly agree we should be united in condemning all acts of hate and intimidation, but they have been with us since the dawn of civilization and, sadly, always will be. Still, while evil will always be with us, each of us must do what we can by first looking into our own hearts and removing every vestige of hate that remains there. In the words of the song, "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

The last report I read was that Jews remain the most targeted religious minority in the US despite the demographic shifts of the past twenty years.

I'm nothing close to being a spiritual person and freely admit I don't know all the reasons behind much religious bigotry. Therefore anti-Semitism I see in the news seems idiotic to me as I'm sure it does to many others who know the origins of it. Respect others and allow them to worship as they see fit. Why is that such a hard concept for some people to understand and accept??
I think, ironically, it is due to religious fanaticism from all sides. In other words, the attitude that "our way is the only way." Therein lies the problem.

Good point. Argument to be made that this is the most discriminated against group in United States, albeit in a more subtle way.
At least she had the good sense to rob him after she battered him into submission. :eek:

We should buy this...

Albert Einstein's 'God letter' expected to sell for $1.5 million
_104608358_hi049766849.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionThe letter is regarded as a clear statement of Einstein's religious beliefs
A handwritten letter by Albert Einstein in which he grapples with the concept of religion is being auctioned in New York on Tuesday.

The so-called "God letter" was written in 1954 and is expected to fetch up to $1.5 million (£1.2m).

The Nobel Prize-winning scientist, then 74, wrote the one-and-a-half page note to German philosopher Eric Gutkind in response to one of his works.

It is seen as a key statement in the debate between science and religion.

"This remarkably candid, private letter was written a year before Einstein's death and remains the most fully articulated expression of his religious and philosophical views," a statement from the auction house says.

ADVERTISEMENT
In the letter, written in his native German, Einstein takes issue with the belief in God.

"The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses," he writes. "The Bible a collection of venerable but still rather primitive legends."

It continues: "No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can [for me] change anything about this."

_104611284_gettyimages-113636669.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionAlbert Einstein pictured around the time he wrote the so-called "God letter"
The physicist also muses on his own Jewish identity, writing that it is "like all other religions, an incarnation of primitive superstition".

ADVERTISEMENT
"The Jewish people to whom I gladly belong, and in whose mentality I feel profoundly anchored, still for me does not have any different kind of dignity from all other peoples," he writes.

It is not the first time Einstein's letters have been put up for auction.

Last year, a note written to an Italian chemistry student who had refused to meet him sold for $6,100.

It was sold alongside a number of other letters from Einstein, including a 1928 note that went for $103,000, in which he set out his thoughts for his third stage of the theory of relativity.

In 2017, a note in which he gave advice on happy living sold for $1.56m in Jerusalem.

A single sentence, it reads: "A calm and humble life will bring more happiness than the pursuit of success and the constant restlessness that comes with

From ancient Egypt through medieval Europe to the modern KKK, anti Semitism has somehow survived. It seems that we do not learn from history- at least not all of us do.

Jealousy is not learned therefore it will never go away.

I think, ironically, it is due to religious fanaticism from all sides. In other words, the attitude that "our way is the only way." Therein lies the problem.

Nah...this is what happens when you take we apes out of our natural environment.

The only hope we have is teaching apes how to become "skeptics".

It’s a hate crime, pure and simple. I hope whoever did this is apprehended, expelled from the university, and charged legally for their crime. I have absolutely no tolerance for these criminals. There are no excuses.

Don't these kids know that their hatred is supposed to be directed towards the FOOTBALL. :eek: team? :eek:

Seriously, I am disgusted to read about this as PSU. I am not surprised because it happens all too often everywhere, but disgusted nonetheless.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

You're conveniently overlooking the Middle East today.

And let's not forget the Muslim American community and the likes of Louis Farrakhan. Comparatively, the modern KKK is insignificant.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Don't these kids know that their hatred is supposed to be directed towards the FOOTBALL. :eek: team? :eek:

Seriously, I am disgusted to read about this as PSU. I am not surprised because it happens all too often everywhere, but disgusted nonetheless.

Disgusted? Yes.
Surprised? I would hope not. Penn State is not immune to any of the hate groups/hate thoughts that any other college campus suffers from. Its reflective of the society we live in, and worse - it's reflective of what influences young people have in their lives. Hatred and ignorance unlike what some other people may believe, is not inherent - it is something taught and learned. Where are the young people getting their information? Who is teaching them these things, and who is teaching them that it's acceptable to act out in this manner?

The only surprise is that people believe that Penn State is immune or different from these thoughts and acts.

How's that exactly?
Answer me this, then: You work for a large corporation, or say you want to run for political office. Would you prefer company management know your religion or know that you are an atheist? Which do you think in the majority of cases most likely would negatively affect your chances for advancement? Second, do you know of any successful candidates for public office that are confirmed atheists? I do not, but I do know of Protestants, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Homosexuals, African Americans, Native Americans, etc. Point is, there is a huge stigma in this country associated with being either atheist or agnostic. Because of this I suspect the actual percentage of people in this category is significantly higher than reported primarily due to fear of some form of retribution.

Last edited:
....says the white male Christian....from Indiana, the birthplace of the Klan....:rolleyes:

Exactly! To the extent it still exists, I have no clue. I don't know a single person who associates or defends the KKK. It's of no consequence here.

I'm not saying there's no lingering bigotry in some isolated pockets.

What you see today is the effect. Identity politics is the cause.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Disgusted? Yes.
Surprised? I would hope not. Penn State is not immune to any of the hate groups/hate thoughts that any other college campus suffers from. Its reflective of the society we live in, and worse - it's reflective of what influences young people have in their lives. Hatred and ignorance unlike what some other people may believe, is not inherent - it is something taught and learned. Where are the young people getting their information? Who is teaching them these things, and who is teaching them that it's acceptable to act out in this manner?

The only surprise is that people believe that Penn State is immune or different from these thoughts and acts.

Well the argument could be made that it is indeed inherent. The argument could be made that there is a natural aversion to people who are unlike oneself as some sort of self-preservation. This could manifest itself in aggression towards others. And before somebody jumps down my throat, I'm certainly not advocating or justifying this behavior....I'm merely positing from where such aggression might stem.

Edit: To take it a step further, I'd say that somebody (probably a parent) pointed out to the kid that Jews (or African Americans, or Asians, or Caucasians, or [insert whatever you want]) are "different". So I would argue that they aren't necessarily being taught hatred....rather they are ignorantly being taught that certain people are different and those differences undermine one's own tribe/family/etc..

Last edited:
The incidents are soaring in France.
There is a very large Muslim presence now in France. When I visited the Jewish neighborhood in Paris where the shootings occurred a few years ago in the market, there were armed guards everywhere, especially at the entrance to the Jewish History Museum. But life goes on and the area was vibrant and bustling with activity, including many of Arab origin all frequenting the best take out fellafel shops.

Hopefully ZBT had some security cameras, or someone who saw something, or heard someone foolishly “brag” about it will turn the person(s) in.

There is caning in the USA?
The man was beaten with his own cane. That’s not subtle. Beating a person over their beliefs is not unheard of, in the USA.
I grew up in the late 50s, early 60s. Born in 1952. That’s 7 years after WWII. The anti Semitism I heard and saw against two young friends affected me, profoundly. We were 7-8 years old. No way the kids saying those things learned them in a vacuum. They heard that stuff at home.

Reactions: LionJim
The man was beaten with his own cane. That’s not subtle. Beating a person over their beliefs is not unheard of, in the USA.
I grew up in the late 50s, early 60s. Born in 1952. That’s 7 years after WWII. The anti Semitism I heard and saw against two young friends affected me, profoundly. We were 7-8 years old. No way the kids saying those things learned them in a vacuum. They heard that stuff at home.

I think you missed his point....by a lot.

There is a very large Muslim presence now in France. When I visited the Jewish neighborhood in Paris where the shootings occurred a few years ago in the market, there were armed guards everywhere, especially at the entrance to the Jewish History Museum. But life goes on and the area was vibrant and bustling with activity, including many of Arab origin all frequenting the best take out fellafel shops.

Hopefully ZBT had some security cameras, or someone who saw something, or heard someone foolishly “brag” about it will turn the person(s) in.

There have been armed guards near Jewish institutions in France for nearly 40 years, ever since the attacks on the rue Copernic synagogue and the Chez Jo Goldenberg rerstaurant.

You're conveniently overlooking the Middle East today.

And let's not forget the Muslim American community and the likes of Louis Farrakhan. Comparatively, the modern KKK is insignificant.
I didn't overlook anything- I just didn't think it was necessary to list every example, nor to drag in other groups that we can hate for no reason other than that they read a different "book" to justify their religious beliefs.

Reactions: nits74 and Anison
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT