ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Poindexter

Kind of explains why he wasn’t offered the DC job. Good recruiter will be tough to replace

Someone will be along shortly to slam CJF for allowing a coach to go off and be a HC. Shame on CJF for letting Pry and Poindexter take opportunities to be HCs.🙄 sarcasm
No its cool, he fleeced the school for 10 years and his 2 coaches worth a damn are going to schools in the middle of our recruiting territory. Things cant be better. At least we still have ty Howell on staff. I'm mostly kidding, these guys certainly needed to take HC jobs if offered, it just leaves us in a perilous position, not that we weren't already.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
I spoke to a couple of UVA grads today and they are NOT happy with the Poindexter hire. Basically they said they are downgrading from an experienced Head Coach in Mendenhall to an inexperienced assistant coach who just so happens to be an alum.

Reactions: roswelllion
any chance that kid is wearing blue and white next spring?
I'd imagine he's on a lot of lists. Just saw a freshman LB 5* out of MD is in the portal too, didn't see a PSU mention. With Pry gone, and probably Dex, no one to push the recruiting trail for us prior to 12/15. We are...........screwed.
/s kind of.

I'd imagine he's on a lot of lists. Just saw a freshman LB 5* out of MD is in the portal too, didn't see a PSU mention. With Pry gone, and probably Dex, no one to push the recruiting trail for us prior to 12/15. We are...........screwed.
/s kind of.

Is it Terrance Lewis? He's the one who initially committed to Tennessee, then de-committed for Maryland and a lot of big programs backed off of him pretty severely because of off-the-field concerns. Pretty sure he ended up at Maryland because everybody else in the SEC told him no. I don't want to unfairly suggest he's a bad kid or anything, but there was something that kept a lot of programs away.

The C from VA is interesting because he is from Dematha Catholic which has given us plenty of players over the years. He would be a very welcome addition.

LT: Portal
LG: Tengwell
C: UVA Portal
RG: Wallace
RT: Fashanu

Reactions: BBrown
These are good coaches and hard to replace. I find it interesting that they leave right before the early signing period. Hoping to get some of our commitments to go with them? However, it does open up an opportunity to replace them with possibly better coaches. But this is always a problem with big programs - coaches moving on and up. Look at Riley leaving OK and Kelly leaving ND. Who would have thought?

Reactions: m48tank
I find it interesting that they leave right before the early signing period.
From the coach's perspective it's better to leave before signing day so there's some time, albeit very little, to help get some recruits. This coaching scramble is a product of the new early signing day, it causes a ton of job changes in the few weeks between the end of the season and signing day.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
/s kind of.
Someone is pushing the recruiting trail.
Maybe even Franklin.
Things dont stop they are adjusted

No its cool, he fleeced the school for 10 years and his 2 coaches worth a damn are going to schools in the middle of our recruiting territory. Things cant be better. At least we still have ty Howell on staff. I'm mostly kidding, these guys certainly needed to take HC jobs if offered, it just leaves us in a perilous position, not that we weren't already.
LMAOROFL. It feels good to block pure bullshit. Tired of the haters, many of whom never managed a complex team.

Can’t be in more places than one . I’m sure they’re hustling but there is a manpower shortage
When Pry accepted the VT position, James moved Kenny Saunders, the recruiting coordinator, to road work to allow us to have 10 on the road. My guess is that he will move someone else on the road if Coach Dex accepts the UVA job.

UVA taking AP might be a blessing in disguise. Yes, he will be a certainly felt loss. There is no denying the S position got better with him here. However, I think JF might have ben feeling a little pressure to hire from within on the DC post. Now with AP probably on his way out, JF can truly open the search and get the best candidate he can get.

UVA taking AP might be a blessing in disguise. Yes, he will be a certainly felt loss. There is no denying the S position got better with him here. However, I think JF might have ben feeling a little pressure to hire from within on the DC post. Now with AP probably on his way out, JF can truly open the search and get the best candidate he can get.
Pressure from who?

Reactions: RGWhirly
The C from VA is interesting because he is from Dematha Catholic which has given us plenty of players over the years. He would be a very welcome addition.

LT: Portal
LG: Tengwell
C: UVA Portal
RG: Wallace
RT: Fashanu
Wouldn't mind getting OL help from two (or more) additions from the portal, but I do think Juice Scruggs can be a productive starter.

Adam Rittenberg just posted on twitter that UVAs coaching search may be pivoting away from Poindexter. Good for Penn State if true.

Not so fast on the AP departure.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Plot twist: Tony Elliott appears to be back in it for the UVA head job. Also still a prime candidate at Duke. More coming ASAP at <a href="https://t.co/pU2IPrM4aR">https://t.co/pU2IPrM4aR</a></p>&mdash; Larry Williams (@LarryWilliamsTI) <a href="">December 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's fantasy week. Mine is ----- Mike Munchak as OL coach, Sean Lee as LB coach.
Sean Spencer back as DL coach. O'Brien as QB and TE coach. We need coaches who teach not just X's and O's, but physical toughness.

It's fantasy week. Mine is ----- Mike Munchak as OL coach, Sean Lee as LB coach.
Sean Spencer back as DL coach. O'Brien as QB and TE coach. We need coaches who teach not just X's and O's, but physical toughness.
Can physical toughness be taught?

good news, my guess AP will be new d coordinator at PSU

Adam Rittenberg
@ESPNRittenberg

·
2m

Just received a text from #PennState co-defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter: "Timing is everything for both sides. There will be a day, but I'm going to stay at Penn State."
The original social media poster who said Poindexter may stay recently posted that the new DC is not Poindexter and that we have verbally agreed to terms with whomever is the new DC.

Sounds like UVA was going to “underpay” Poindexter to be their next head coach and Poindexter turned the job down.

The original social media poster who said Poindexter may stay recently posted that the new DC is not Poindexter and that we have verbally agreed to terms with whomever is the new DC.

Sounds like UVA was going to “underpay” Poindexter to be their next head coach and Poindexter turned the job down.
From articles I've read, UVA alumni and boosters going to go apeshit. If Elliot takes the position, he will have to win them over and it won't be an easy task.

Poindexter will be an interesting choice if he is promoted. He went from RB coach at Virginia to DB coach to safeties covering 2004-2013.

Goes to UCONN as the DC from 2014-2016. UCONN's record was:
2014: 2-10 Defense ranked in the 60's nationally.
2015: 6-7 Defense ranked in the 40's
2016: 3-9 Defense ranked in the 80's.

After the 2016 season the whole defensive staff was fired from UCONN.

Goes to Purdue as CO-DC from 2017-2020. Defenses ranked in the 80's and one year in the 50's I believe. He served as a CO-DC all 4 years with the final year 2020 with Rob Diaco his former head coach at UCONN.

Will be interesting to see if Franklin gives him control of the defense or goes after someone with more pedigree.

I read articles by two different UVA writers that shared some rumors. One was Poindexter did not want to keep some of the coaches already on the staff, and there high ups that wanted the coaches retained. Another rumor was that there were some philosophical differences that came out during the interviewing process. loosening up academic requirements was mentioned in one of the articles. Money did not appear to be an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT