ADVERTISEMENT

Another year, another promise of the o line being the most improved group

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
During the Franklin interview with Spice Adams before the blue white game, Franklin said that the o line was the most impressive position group, maybe even using the word “dominant”. He followed this up with a comment about their being only 7 scholarship o linemen when he arrived and how they have improved.

I’m not discounting the talent and especially the depth of the o-line but just how much improvement have we seen? Yes, we’ve had back to back 11 win seasons, and I’m not saying that the sky is falling. I’m asking if we’ve really arrived from an o line standpoint or do we still have room to continue improving? Does the RPO limit the effectiveness of the o-line?

Different style of offense this year. Nomo Jomo, plus no more SaSa so teams can't sell out as much. Interesting that Allen and Sanders were in the backfield at the same time. Perhaps we see more,of this. Journey Brown looks like he will contribute.

The run blocking will instantly improve by leaps and bounds due to the fact that Gesicki isn't on the field to "Ole" the opposition anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: ralphster
Just to reiterate, this isn’t an “our o-line stinks” thread. I don’t typically focus on the o-line when watching games and don’t break down film like some guys do. I’m asking whether our o-line is living up to the billing that Franklin is giving it.

I'm willing to bet no one doubts we will see a much improved line going forward. Rudedude's point that teams will no longer sell out to stop Barkley is, I believe, one that can't be understated. As for the RPO affecting line play, I've always wondered about that (and don't have a definitive answer). If correct about teams not selling out on the run this year, we may have a better idea regarding the RPO's effect on line play??

As I mentioned in another thread I think we ask our OL to do too much. The OT have to pull, the OG have to pull with 20 hrs per week to practice/play imo its tough to properly rep all those techniques coupled w the basics

We will find out against the Buckeyes. They stuffed our OL last year. First down on the 7 YL; three RPO later; 4th down on the 7 YL. We didn't gain an inch!

I saw Fries get beat by a walk on LB to stop Sanders in his tracks. Unacceptable. Hard to gauge anything from this scrimmage but again, its first team vs mostly 2nd/3rd string and walk on players. I think the depth is better than ever is mostly what JF is alluding to.

During the Franklin interview with Spice Adams before the blue white game, Franklin said that the o line was the most impressive position group, maybe even using the word “dominant”. He followed this up with a comment about their being only 7 scholarship o linemen when he arrived and how they have improved.

I’m not discounting the talent and especially the depth of the o-line but just how much improvement have we seen? Yes, we’ve had back to back 11 win seasons, and I’m not saying that the sky is falling. I’m asking if we’ve really arrived from an o line standpoint or do we still have room to continue improving? Does the RPO limit the effectiveness of the o-line?

First unit OLine looked very good to me. Opened running lanes for both Trace and Mark Allen. I also don't recall one pass protection breakdown. Granted it was against second and third string guys, but I was still impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT