Another Round to Florida: Citadel Flees Illinois for the Sunshine State

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Leaving the liberal shithole....

https://www.realclearflorida.com/ar...s_illinois_for_the_sunshine_state_843239.html

But a firm like Citadel is a natural fit for a free-market state like Florida. The $51 billion hedge fund was founded in Chicago after Griffin got his start at a Chicago-based firm. The move to Florida, the Wall Street Journal observes, “could also be a blow to Chicago’s philanthropic scene. Mr. Griffin has given more than $600 million in gifts to educational, cultural, medical and civic organizations in the area.” In his letter about the move, Griffin sounded wistful. “Chicago has been a remarkable home for Citadel. I still remember the incredible civic pride and engagement when I arrived more than thirty years ago – and the outreach by business and political leaders who wanted us to succeed and be a part of the fabric of Chicago’s community.”

Here was an organization committed to its home city, but it found that that city, and the state, didn’t care about its needs. Florida has been gaining, that’s clear. And the story of Florida’s growth is best understood side-by-side with the stories of what blue states are losing. Citadel didn’t just drift away. Illinois pushed Citadel out the door.

“It was becoming increasingly difficult to recruit top talent from across the world to Chicago given the rising and senseless violence in the city,” a source knowledgeable with the move told me. “Talent wants to live in cities where it feels safe.”

The response from Illinois leadership was largely a shoulder shrug. The Wall Street Journal quoted Emily Bittner, a spokeswoman for Pritzker, who said that “countless companies are choosing Illinois as their home.”

Are they, though? The press releases mostly show an exit.

Accompanying Citadel out of the state is Caterpillar Inc. (moving to Texas) and Boeing Co. (to Virginia). The growth of these states, too, comes at the expense of the blue states. A blue-state brain drain is happening, and states like Florida are first in line to pick up the migrators.

DJ Spanky

Jul 25, 2001
In late June, Illinois governor J. B. Pritzker traveled to New Hampshire to be the keynote speaker at New Hampshire’s Democratic Party state convention.

That same weekend, 47 people were shot in Chicago.

The Windy City’s weekend shootouts are so prevalent that they’ve become hardly worth mentioning, in particular by the governor.

Just sad.

Reactions: psuted and m.knox

DJ Spanky

Jul 25, 2001
So if you read to the end of the article, there's this gem:

Pritzker also has a home in Florida, which his family used to escape pandemic regulations in Illinois. In November 2020, while the governor discouraged Illinois citizens from traveling for Thanksgiving, his own family made a break for Florida.

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Yeap. And they were also caught living the good life -- mask-free (!) -- in Lake Geneva while Chicago was left in a state of complete lockdown and rioting. Assholes.

Rest in peace to my once-sweet home, Chicago.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010

I knew the Left had the wrong policies, but I never understood the depth of their corruption and hypocrisy. The pandemic really helped expose what they are all about. Hiding what the Biden's have done has been another glaring indicator.

Every time one of their leaders speaks I can't help but be shocked at what they say. Nancy Pelosi, for example, has control over the legislative agenda -- trillions of dollars -- and yet she describes using that advanced insider information with the term "participation" in the stock market.

It is now too late. The world's economy, its physical health, even its food sustenance, are all now gravely compromised. It will probably take another world war to reset back to the institutions that work, and I fear that this war will not be nuclear-free.

We are pretty much within the throws of global communism. The average surf doesn't realize it. The media has muted the truth. The power brokers are amassing wealth and will soon be barricading themselves. They'll leave behind a society that is destroying itself from within.

junior1

May 29, 2001
Leaving the liberal shithole....

https://www.realclearflorida.com/ar...s_illinois_for_the_sunshine_state_843239.html

But a firm like Citadel is a natural fit for a free-market state like Florida. The $51 billion hedge fund was founded in Chicago after Griffin got his start at a Chicago-based firm. The move to Florida, the Wall Street Journal observes, “could also be a blow to Chicago’s philanthropic scene. Mr. Griffin has given more than $600 million in gifts to educational, cultural, medical and civic organizations in the area.” In his letter about the move, Griffin sounded wistful. “Chicago has been a remarkable home for Citadel. I still remember the incredible civic pride and engagement when I arrived more than thirty years ago – and the outreach by business and political leaders who wanted us to succeed and be a part of the fabric of Chicago’s community.”

Here was an organization committed to its home city, but it found that that city, and the state, didn’t care about its needs. Florida has been gaining, that’s clear. And the story of Florida’s growth is best understood side-by-side with the stories of what blue states are losing. Citadel didn’t just drift away. Illinois pushed Citadel out the door.

“It was becoming increasingly difficult to recruit top talent from across the world to Chicago given the rising and senseless violence in the city,” a source knowledgeable with the move told me. “Talent wants to live in cities where it feels safe.”

The response from Illinois leadership was largely a shoulder shrug. The Wall Street Journal quoted Emily Bittner, a spokeswoman for Pritzker, who said that “countless companies are choosing Illinois as their home.”

Are they, though? The press releases mostly show an exit.

Accompanying Citadel out of the state is Caterpillar Inc. (moving to Texas) and Boeing Co. (to Virginia). The growth of these states, too, comes at the expense of the blue states. A blue-state brain drain is happening, and states like Florida are first in line to pick up the migrators.
and illinois loses that tax revenue paid by Citadel and it's employees

Reactions: Ski and m.knox

Latest posts