ADVERTISEMENT

Another Pizza Thread Because

Ever been to Italy? You probably won't be wowed by their pizza. I wasn't (I mean, it tasted great, but, not like pizza). But when your noshing in the shadow of the Duomo in Florence or the Leaning Tower in Pisa, you take the good with the bad :).
Have you ever been to Naples, or Napoli? Ummmm, they have some pretty incredible pizza. I remember my first trip there back in the 80s while on the Eisenhower, CVN69, discovering I could get all sorts of interesting toppings in square cuts of slightly chewy cheese covered, splash of Roma tomato goodness. Every time we pulled for fun time I searched out great pizza.

35 years later on a Med cruise with my wife the ship stopped in Naples for a day. i relieved some of my glory days roaming the streets, looking in shop windows, and discovered they still make some incredible pies there.

The best food I had 35 years ago during a day trip on the train to Pisa was ravioli in a thin tomato sauce at the train station with crusty bread, red wine, and a plate of misto before the ravioli. Still memorable, homemade with love, delicious.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Right up the street from Mr. Jake's Funnybooks - would grab some comics, get some pizza, and head home. Good stuff!

Slightly off topic, but also nearby was the abandoned Oriental Theater, and this is how it looked in the 90's (believe it's since been demolished and is a vacant lot):

6852aafd0015f8e2d2bdf867c971bfd0.jpg

So hard to believe it used to be this:

AR-302269765.jpg

large.jpg

R-6922507-1567374773-2287.jpeg.jpg

R-8924078-1471630788-8605.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Midnighter2
ADVERTISEMENT