ADVERTISEMENT

Another of the Greatest Generation has fallen.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Roar. I lost my father, also a WWII veteran, a couple years ago. He never spoke very often about his experiences during the war. Found out when I was well into my 30's he manned a 40mm anti-aircraft Bofors gun mount on a destroyer that took a Kamikaze hit while patrolling off the coast of Okinawa. Never an easy time losing a parent, no matter their age.

So sorry Roar. Lost my pop last fall also at age 95. Battle of the Bulge vet.

I think of what men like our dads were faced with in their twenties. Amazing men they were.

Sincere condolences to your family.

Goodbye, Dad. 95 good years and a WW II veteran of the Italian campaign.
Prayers for you and family. I sometimes reflect on that generation with envy. Those who survived the Great Depression and WW2 went on to live lives that must have greatly exceeded expectations. I'm glad you had your Dad for so long.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Roar. I lost my father, also a WWII veteran, a couple years ago. He never spoke very often about his experiences during the war. Found out when I was well into my 30's he manned a 40mm anti-aircraft Bofors gun mount on a destroyer that took a Kamikaze hit while patrolling off the coast of Okinawa. Never an easy time losing a parent, no matter their age.
My 92 year old Father in Law passed yesterday as well. He was on the destroyer USS Thomas Frasier off Iwo Jima & Okinawa. Found out about his experience from a history written obout his ship. Also found an envelope with pictures he had taken @ Hiroshima.

My condolences. My father passed away in 2009. He was in the army of occupation in Japan right after the war ended as the bomb was dropped when he was finishing his airborne training and therefore missed action. Had the bomb not been dropped, he surely would have been killed as the airborne would have been the first into Japan in Operation Downfall, the planned US invasion of Japan. They expected 90% casualties or higher with the airborne divisions. I lost my mother nearly a year ago, and although she had nothing to do with the military, she talked about all those in her high school who were killed in action and how sad it was. Today, I don’t think most people really understand or appreciate the sacrifices that were made during that time.

My condolences. My father passed away in 200i9. He was in the army of occupation in Japan right after the war ended as the bomb was dropped when he was finishing his airborne training and therefore missed action. Had the bomb not been dropped, he surely would have been killed as the airborne would have been the first into Japan in Operation Downfall, the planned US invasion of Japan. They expected 90% casualties or higher with the airborne divisions. I lost my mother nearly a year ago, and although she had nothing to do with the military, she talked about all those in her high school who were killed in action and how sad it was. Today, I don’t think most people really understand or appreciate the sacrifices that were made during that time.

My dad served during the occupation of Japan, too. Lost him in 1993 at age 82.

My sympathies on your loss Roar.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
Forgive me for hijacking the thread, but please do take the time to reach out to friends and relatives to thank them for what they've done for you in your lives. You'll be glad you did and there will come a time when it will be too late to do it.

Very sorry to hear that Roar, my condolences to you and your family. The numbers of WWII veterans are few now. I lost my dad in 2009, and my father-in-law almost 10 years earlier. Respect to all of these great men and women

A sad day, but no regrets if it was 95 good years. I lost dad last summer after 92 wonderful years, including a stint in the Pacific. Reading messages like yours still brings tears to my eyes. We honor them with our love and memories.

A sad day, but no regrets if it was 95 good years. I lost dad last summer after 92 wonderful years, including a stint in the Pacific. Reading messages like yours still brings tears to my eyes. We honor them with our love and memories.

lobo, I am sorry for your loss as well. Prayers offered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT