ADVERTISEMENT

Another example of Joe's legacy...Robbie Gould...

NealPaige

Dec 29, 2016
watching the 49ers vs. Cowboys game...

Announcer just stated how benevolent Robbie has been since his first day as a 49er, working in the community and holding fund raisers to support the less fortunate in the Bay community. After raising millions in Chicago through his 10 year tenure with the Bears.

A good PA boy, through and through. Another reason to despise Emmert and Delaney. Emmert for his sanctimonious, soap box standing, and in Delaney's case, head in the sand posture regarding MSU and OSU. Two pieces of shit making millions, and taking the fraudulent high road while disgracing Penn State.

The clock is ticking pancake face, and OSU/Michigan shill. Where is your response regarding these two renegade athletic programs? Silence is deafening.

As I stated before, I hope every football team in the B10 loses every game they play. We should have never joined this corrupt boys' club.

Announcer just stated how benevolent Robbie has been since his first day as a 49er, working in the community and holding fund raisers to support the less fortunate in the Bay community. After raising millions in Chicago through his 10 year tenure with the Bears.

A good PA boy, through and through. Another reason to despise Emmert and Delaney. Emmert for his sanctimonious, soap box standing, and in Delaney's case, head in the sand posture regarding MSU and OSU. Two pieces of shit making millions, and taking the fraudulent high road while disgracing Penn State.

The clock is ticking pancake face, and OSU/Michigan shill. Where is your response regarding these two renegade athletic programs? Silence is deafening.

As I stated before, I hope every football team in the B10 loses every game they play. We should have never joined this corrupt boys' club.

Joe could have been a lousy coach and morally corrupt and players from his teams would still be doing stuff like this. It amazing that there are plenty of NFL players that give back to the community and only the ones from PSU are to linked back to a FB coaches legacy.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Joe could have been a lousy coach and morally corrupt and players from his teams would still be doing stuff like this. It amazing that there are plenty of NFL players that give back to the community and only the ones from PSU are to linked back to a FB coaches legacy.

Aaron Hernandez for for example.....

The players speak for what Joe instilled in them. How does that stack up against any of our two cents either way.

Even Herbstreet get's it.

Last edited:

Yes, PSU should have found another corrupt boys' club that pays less.

Aaron Hernandez for for example.....

The players speak for what Joe instilled in them. How does that stack up against any of our two cents either way.

Even Herbstreet get's it.

I get Hartford's point. I could respond to your post with "Lavon Chisley for example." Or mention Tim Tebow to say UM instilled his players with the same attitudes as Joe.

We all know what great things Joe did with his players, but there is a tendency by some to act like we're the only school that produces great people, or that we don't produce any bad ones. Then we take credit for a John Urschel as though he wouldn't have been exactly what he is no matter where he went.

I get Hartford's point. I could respond to your post with "Lavon Chisley for example." Or mention Tim Tebow to say UM instilled his players with the same attitudes as Joe.

We all know what great things Joe did with his players, but there is a tendency by some to act like we're the only school that produces great people, or that we don't produce any bad ones. Then we take credit for a John Urschel as though he wouldn't have been exactly what he is no matter where he went.

I completely agree with what you are saying here. No program under any coach was/is/will be "all that" at either end of the spectrum.... people being people, there will be exceptions to the general rule.

To expound on your great point from my point of view:

We PSU fans certainly understand Joe's approach to the total person beyond the field better than we do others'. We have seen the results and know the case studies because we follow the public and private stories that reflect the successes behind the approach. Joe did it for so long, with consistent success over the decades, using essentially the same approach all along, that he stands out for that reason alone. Plus, there are so many examples of his players doing these great things, regardless of when they played or what kind of success their teams had during their time. In shear numbers, PSU must be at the forefront in this regard. Joe is not alone in this area, but some of the reason that he is not alone is because he blazed the major portion of that trail and others saw the value and followed his path. The fact that his players and their families refer back to Joe's influence with what seems to be more frequency than others do is also telling.

Joe is not the only legendary coach to have a loyal and healthy life-long respect among ex-players for the right reasons. Woody Hayes, Ara, Bear and others who were once his contemporaries do also. Bill Snyder at Kansas State seems to have the same post-playing impact of loyalty from his players. The whole-person approach, in various iterations and accompanying slogans, is far more common-place than before... at long last, schools and fans are beginning to expect more from their teams and coaches and players than on-field success (although that is still #1). They want to hear about the great personal stories, the philanthropic endeavors, the giving back more often than before, imo. And whether or not people want to acknowledge it, JVP lead that charge in a more public and emphatic way than anyone else, way before anyone else, and for way longer.

Toward the end of Joe's career, the last 5 or so seasons, as I fully recognized that his legacy was going to be extremely profound, I was willing to be ok with whatever we did on the field under him as he wound it down. Still gnashed my teeth over a good number of plays and games, still wanted to win every game, but I was willing to look at the long term and what his impact would be historically. While many criticized PSU's schemes and game plans, I was ok with it all, especially when those who understood the game would explain that not only did Joe create some of what was commonplace on the college field, but almost every team did the same things... zone D until the red zone, create a long field for the opposing O, "be careful with the ball", etc. I knew that once JVP retired, the sleeping giant of PSU football would come roaring back strong and take the next steps that we just weren't likely to take under Joe's final stretch. I decided I could wait it out, given what I was privileged to witness from Joe over the decades.

It hurts that that was taken away unfairly, and the lessons are lost to the general public. For that reason, I trumpet JVP's influence and impact much more than I may have otherwise, when it would have simply spoken for itself.

Let's also give Robbie Gould some credit for being a good guy just because he is a good guy.

Let's also give Robbie Gould some credit for being a good guy just because he is a good guy.

That being said, I dated a girl who later dated him in HS, and am still friends with another girl who dated him at PSU...he’s also maybe kind of a dbag sometimes. Now he’s certainly had tons of time to mature, I’d hate to be judged on who I was at 17-19, and Im not exactly God’s gift or anything. That’s Andrew Quarless.

ADVERTISEMENT