ADVERTISEMENT

announcers in Nebraska game

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
it was mentioned these guys did a good job. the coach Mark Elfrich (sp?) is the sharpest of the analysts i have heard this season. he knows the game. he also took the time to understand our team - how many guys do that?

Reactions: THEEHMANN and Grass
knows the RPO very well. Unfortunately, or fortunately for our sake it was working so well we didn't get him to critique it for us much.

it was mentioned these guys did a good job. the coach Mark Elfrich (sp?) is the sharpest of the analysts i have heard this season. he knows the game. he also took the time to understand our team - how many guys do that?

I agree. I thought he was excellent and really knew his stuff. He even made a comment about how he didn't like the routes (spacing) of two of our receivers on one particular play.

He was OC at Oregon and when Kelly left got the HC job.Let go at the end of the season last year.

I think overall Fox and FS1 are much better than ESPN, ABC or BTN. The crew that did our game Saturday vs. Nebraska was excellent. And the #1 crew for FoxSports who did our game vs. Wiscy last year and vs. OSU this year were also excellent.

The crews on Fox come off that they have no agenda. They are informative, they do the game, and bets of all unlike the guys at ESPN they do not have an agenda.

I'm curious why they didn't mention in the final quarter that as PSU put 2nd and 3rd team players in on defense and Nebraska continued to attack with its first team. They acted like it was a Nebraska "comeback" and never touched the odd behavior by Coach Riley. I was waiting for one of them to say...gee this is starting to get pretty close....I wonder if Coach Franklin and Coach Pry may have to return some starters. I get it that announcers need to make a yawner exciting to keep viewers, but I thought they might reference it.

I'm curious why they didn't mention in the final quarter that as PSU put 2nd and 3rd team players in on defense and Nebraska continued to attack with its first team. They acted like it was a Nebraska "comeback" and never touched the odd behavior by Coach Riley. I was waiting for one of them to say...gee this is starting to get pretty close....I wonder if Coach Franklin and Coach Pry may have to return some starters. I get it that announcers need to make a yawner exciting to keep viewers, but I thought they might reference it.

The announcers are employees of the network. A network generates revenue in large part due to ratings. The announcers can not say "Well, good night, this game is over. Penn State has in all the 3rd and 4th stringers. Nebraska has no chance....". They do that and they might as well tell people to grab their remotes and turn on ESPN.

Thought it was strange that the announcers made no mention that Brandon Polk was back to return kicks and not Barkley. The fact that the spotlight player who has returned kicks all year isn't returning kicks in this game warranted a comment from the announcers.

Reactions: gogolion
Thought it was strange that the announcers made no mention that Brandon Polk was back to return kicks and not Barkley. The fact that the spotlight player who has returned kicks all year isn't returning kicks in this game warranted a comment from the announcers.

It's because they don't know PSU, probably never watched PSU, and it's highly doubtful they even knew who the kickoff returner was most of the year.

Reactions: Cosmos
It's because they don't know PSU, probably never watched PSU, and it's highly doubtful they even knew who the kickoff returner was most of the year.

Well, I sort of get that, but really hard for me to believe that they didn't know that Barkley was our kick returner, especially since he's returned 2 for TDs. Wouldn't take a lot of research to find out that the star player for one of the teams was the regular kick returner.

Reactions: gogolion and BBrown
I think overall Fox and FS1 are much better than ESPN, ABC or BTN. The crew that did our game Saturday vs. Nebraska was excellent. And the #1 crew for FoxSports who did our game vs. Wiscy last year and vs. OSU this year were also excellent.

The crews on Fox come off that they have no agenda. They are informative, they do the game, and bets of all unlike the guys at ESPN they do not have an agenda.

Somebody tell Joe Klatt that. I thought he had money on OSU the way he acted during our game with them.
I thought Klatt was fine in the title game last year but he sucked in the game this year.
I've never been a fan of Gus Johnson. To theatrical for me.

Reactions: fearson05
Somebody tell Joe Klatt that. I thought he had money on OSU the way he acted during our game with them.
I thought Klatt was fine in the title game last year but he sucked in the game this year.

See, I thought Joe Klatt was fine in both games (Wiscy and OSU). Did not find him 'partial' in either game. When one team was doing well (IE - Wiscy in 1st half of B1G Champ Game and Penn State 1st three quarters of OSU game) he was very complimentary of the team doing well. When the tables flipped (IE - Penn State 2nd half of B1G Champ and OSU last 10 minutes of that game) he was very complimentary and excited for that team.

I have no problem with broadcasters getting excited for great plays, great players,..... I just hate when I feel that I am being given a 3-hour narrative by the crew. I feel that much of the ESPN broadcasts they have their set agenda, and we get 3 straight hours of that agenda.

Well, I sort of get that, but really hard for me to believe that they didn't know that Barkley was our kick returner, especially since he's returned 2 for TDs. Wouldn't take a lot of research to find out that the star player for one of the teams was the regular kick returner.

But does it really surprise you? They said over and over during the game that it was the first time they were ever at Beaver Stadium.

But does it really surprise you? They said over and over during the game that it was the first time they were ever at Beaver Stadium.

Well, yeah I guess it did surprise me as I obviously took note of it. Barkley is as big of a name as there is in CFB. He's returned 2 kickoffs for TDs, including in a very high profile game against OSU. I guess I just don't think it would have required a great deal of in-depth analysis to know that Barkley has been our regular kick returner this season and when we opened the game and he was not the returner that it would have generated a comment by the announcers. That's all.

I was joined in watching this game with a casual - but astute - fan.
Her comment, within the first few minutes of watching: "Who is broadcasting this game? They are not incredibly annoying, unlike the usual broadcasters."

That was the second time she shared a comment like that. The first time was the OSU-PSU game broadcast.
No coincidence - neither was being broadcast by the ESPN/ABC/BTN clown posse.

The ESPN/ABC crews, and most of the BTN crews, IMO - can make the ears bleed, of any 1/2 way intelligent viewer (and Herbstreit/Fowler ought to come with their own mandatory OSHA warning labels).

Incredible difference between any of them, and even the "B" or "C" crews of FOX or CBS.

"Herbstreit/Fowler ought to come with their own mandatory OSHA warning labels."
Well played!

The announcers are employees of the network. A network generates revenue in large part due to ratings. The announcers can not say "Well, good night, this game is over. Penn State has in all the 3rd and 4th stringers. Nebraska has no chance....". They do that and they might as well tell people to grab their remotes and turn on ESPN.
I think I alluded to that in my last sentence. I didn't say they should make it the entire tone or theme of the final quarter. My post was to call attention to something unusual that was occurring and not even given a passing reference.
The announcers felt comfortable commenting about PSU being aggressive with seconds to go in the half. I didn't take offense to that, they simply commented on what was happening on the field at that particular time in the game.

Agree 100%. I don't care for his style at all. That guy annoys me more than any CF play-by-play announcer with his ridiculously exaggerated calls. I did like Helfrich.

Agree 100%. I don't care for his style at all. That guy annoys me more than any CF play-by-play announcer with his ridiculously exaggerated calls. I did like Helfrich.

Is the replay scheduled anywhere?
I'd like to see the FIRST HALF again. LOL.
and I'd be interested in hearing Helfrich.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT