ADVERTISEMENT

Angels extend Mike Trout for 12 years, $430 million

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Reactions: 91Joe95
image.gif

Star center fielder Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels are finalizing the largest contract in professional sports history, a 12-year deal worth more than $430 million that will smash previous records and could keep the greatest player of his generation with the Angels for the remainder of his career, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26306935/sources-angels-trout-reach-430m-extension

Amazing to think that if the Angels are willing to pay that he wouldn't wait for FA... See what Yanks/Mets/Phillies would offer...

Amazing to think that if the Angels are willing to pay that he wouldn't wait for FA... See what Yanks/Mets/Phillies would offer...

It shows he likes living in So Cal, playing for the Angels, visiting Millville, and will still catch Eagles games when he wants. Would think the number from the Phils would have been in the $450+ million range, with $500MM not out of the question.

Glad he is doing it now versus 2020 and the Phils were counting/bidding on him. Now they can focus on a path forward without him.

It shows he likes living in So Cal, playing for the Angels, visiting Millville, and will still catch Eagles games when he wants. Would think the number from the Phils would have been in the $450+ million range, with $500MM not out of the question.

Glad he is doing it now versus 2020 and the Phils were counting/bidding on him. Now they can focus on a path forward without him.

Will be interesting to see if there is an out at some point for him or the team. A lot of players are working an out just after the new CBA is in place as there will be a ton more money available.

Geez, I can remember when it was a big deal that the Indians signed Wayne Garland to a 10 year $2.3 million dollar deal. (I just looked it up and his W-L record after signing that deal was 28-48.)

It's contracts like Trout's that make me think the owners should be paying for their own stadiums.

Trout might end up being one of the few Hall of Famers never to play in a post season game.

I remember when Mickey Mantle became the first player to get $100,000 per year. There was a huge backlash against salaries that large! Before then, even though Mantle was the AL MVP, Mick worked at a bowling alley in the off season to make ends meet!

Trout might end up being one of the few Hall of Famers never to play in a post season game.

I remember when Mickey Mantle became the first player to get $100,000 per year. There was a huge backlash against salaries that large! Before then, even though Mantle was the AL MVP, Mick worked at a bowling alley in the off season to make ends meet!

Hank Greenberg was the first player to sign for $100k p.a., 1947.

I bet said bowling alley served beer and had some attractive female patrons

Reactions: harbest
Hank Greenberg was the first player to sign for $100k p.a., 1947.

Hank Greenberg once have over 100 RBI at the All-Star break. All kinds of meaningless baseball trivia is rolling around in my head, although it doesn't come off as impressive as it used to since you can get all that and more at any time from the Internet.

Amazing.....these absurd amounts of monies are being tossed around now almost as ridiculously as if they are pieces of legislation being flushed down-the-drain by our Congress.

Just stunning the money being thrown around.... My question is who will be the first professional player in any sport to sign the first $1 Billion dollar contract. Doesn't seem to be if anymore just a matter of when...

Should have been LeBron but basketball has a cap.

The guy is worth more than any other player... or at least was a few years ago.

LdN

Star center fielder Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels are finalizing the largest contract in professional sports history, a 12-year deal worth more than $430 million that will smash previous records and could keep the greatest player of his generation with the Angels for the remainder of his career, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26306935/sources-angels-trout-reach-430m-extension

Crazy money. When Harper and Machado signed, I had a feeling the Angels might do this.

That's a great deal for Trout. Happy for him. However, I have to wonder what the crowd reaction will be when he attends his next Sixers game. In the past they cheered him big time.

The way I see it, he still loves his childhood teams but he had to take this deal.

o6nuohc3hnx2j6td1uax

DG004vyVYAA2zGe.jpg

Last edited:
Hank Greenberg once have over 100 RBI at the All-Star break. All kinds of meaningless baseball trivia is rolling around in my head, although it doesn't come off as impressive as it used to since you can get all that and more at any time from the Internet.
Internet equals Fake Memory.

That a great deal for Trout. Happy for him. However, I have to wonder what the crowd reaction will be when he attends his next Sixers game. In the past they cheered him big time.

The way I see it, he still loves his childhood teams but he had to take this deal.

o6nuohc3hnx2j6td1uax

DG004vyVYAA2zGe.jpg
I don't want to ever see this shit again. If Philly is still the city it was before 2018 then he'll be booed for eternity. You can't be a fanboy and not play for your hometown.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Well, I get most of my baseball information from this board’s Phillies thread, so it shouldn’t be surprising that I totally did not see this coming.

The Angels had no choice. They could not have the prospect of a spent Pujols being there collecting under his contract while the best player they will ever have was in Philly or any other city. Trout had tremendous leverage in this and from all reports enjoys playing there.

I’m a tad disappointed though on a number of fronts. MLB had to be hoping that he would play in a better baseball town or in one of the usual markets where you would see him play routinely before midnight each night. It’s a shame Trout might be stuck and not play routinely in the post season unless a lightning bolt hits Anaheim. And it’s another bad spot for the game when it’s most marketable player isn’t the face of the game.

Harper, Trout, Arenado all off the table. Now the nation turns its lonely eyes to Betts. That’s gonna leave a mark since Boston has no choice but to pony up whatever the number is. Has to be $400m at least.

makes me wonder how much of the Harper comments precipitated this, and how much of that was the "plan". yeah, little conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if since harper and trout are friends, they were BSing about how trout doesn't have a huge deal yet, and they cooked up this thing to force the Angels hand. conversely, I can all but guarantee that 95% of this happening NOW is because the Angels FO said "oooooooooh sh!t" when Harper started talking about Trout playing for his hometown(ish) team.

Regardless, good for Trout. The kid is a consummate professional who leads a clean life outside the game and is a great role model for kids to look up to. He has fun, and does it for a team that is pretty much garbage. Kudos to him.

The Angels had no choice. They could not have the prospect of a spent Pujols being there collecting under his contract while the best player they will ever have was in Philly or any other city. Trout had tremendous leverage in this and from all reports enjoys playing there.

I’m a tad disappointed though on a number of fronts. MLB had to be hoping that he would play in a better baseball town or in one of the usual markets where you would see him play routinely before midnight each night. It’s a shame Trout might be stuck and not play routinely in the post season unless a lightning bolt hits Anaheim. And it’s another bad spot for the game when it’s most marketable player isn’t the face of the game.

Harper, Trout, Arenado all off the table. Now the nation turns its lonely eyes to Betts. That’s gonna leave a mark since Boston has no choice but to pony up whatever the number is. Has to be $400m at least.

I know this is tough for those of you in the I95 corridor to comprehend, but theres a big world west of Lancaster. Mike Trout is the face of the game regardless of what city he plays in. I truly doubt that MLB is upset that their best player is staying in the US's 2nd biggest TV market. And considering the #2, #3, #5, #7 and #8 TV markets are not in the eastern time zone, there are plenty of people watching Mike Trout play baseball before midnight.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
My question is who will be the first professional player in any sport to sign the first $1 Billion dollar contract.

Welp, better for us fans that the owners pay the players to make the team competitive instead of stuffing the money in their own pockets, like the Pirates.

Remember when the Pirates gave Dave Parker that insane contract worth $6 million over six years?

Reactions: AvgUser
Based on playing 162 games, he'll make over $221,000 per game. If he gets 600 plate appearances per season, that's just under $60,000 per plate appearance. So he makes just about the median annual household income -- per plate appearance. (per my google search, the median household income in 2018 was $62,175)

Based on playing 162 games, he'll make over $221,000 per game. If he gets 600 plate appearances per season, that's just under $60,000 per plate appearance. So he makes just about the median annual household income -- per plate appearance. (per my google search, the median household income in 2018 was $62,175)

Believe so... thought I saw something come over the wire Trout will earn $98,000 per day....

What Mets? the NY Mets owned by the Wilpons? The Mets that I am now starting my 54th year of frustration, I mean rooting for? The team that does as little as possible to improve? The ones that are still blaming Madoff for their troubles? The Mets would never pony up this kind of money. Their owners don't remember 3 million fans going thru their turnstiles during the winning years a few years ago. The Yankees yes, but there was no reason for him to wait for a Mets offer.

Believe so... thought I saw something come over the wire Trout will earn $98,000 per day....

Yep, based on 365 days in a year that's accurate. In leap years it's just a hair under $98k. Crazy contract.

It shows he likes living in So Cal

For what it's worth, I really don't think any of these contracts are proof that anyone does or doesn't like living in a particular location. I don't think where a player spends a handful of months out of the year is much of a factor in their decision. People pointed to Machado "choosing" the Padres because he wanted to live in San Diego, but don't these guys more or less have to take the most money? That's kind of the union's whole issue right now, no? Had Detroit offered him more money, I'm convinced he would have been on the next flight there.

Reactions: LionJim
I don't want to ever see this shit again. If Philly is still the city it was before 2018 then he'll be booed for eternity. You can't be a fanboy and not play for your hometown.

I look at it the other way. From the employment side (baseball), Trout made the smart move in signing a contract like that. Being a south Jersey native doesn't obligate him to return to the area just like Bryce Harper wasn't obligated to play on the west coast. Business is business. And the fact Trout is still a fan of the Philly teams should be all the more reason the cheer him instead of being bent out of shape about it. Would anyone feel better if he went full LA and starting sitting courtside watching Lakers games with the shallow Hollywood crowd? Or sitting in a luxury suite at the Coliseum while wearing a Goff jersey? The guy still loves the Philly teams but he needs to do what's best for himself on the employment side.

I know this is tough for those of you in the I95 corridor to comprehend, but theres a big world west of Lancaster. Mike Trout is the face of the game regardless of what city he plays in. I truly doubt that MLB is upset that their best player is staying in the US's 2nd biggest TV market. And considering the #2, #3, #5, #7 and #8 TV markets are not in the eastern time zone, there are plenty of people watching Mike Trout play baseball before midnight.

The marketing issues and the commissioner’s opinions around Trout are well chronicled. The Angels arent even a blip on the radar, even with the game’s best player. ESPN basically has the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Astros and Dodgers on the baseball tube in heavy rotation and the Phillies will get further inroads this year if they make noise.

I’d wager a pretty penny that a lot of people have watched Aaron Judge and Mookie Betts outside of their natural markets a TON MORE than they have watched Mike Trout. Outside of the AS game, I’d bet a lot of people didn’t see Trout play once last year.

ADVERTISEMENT