ADVERTISEMENT

Andrea Wickerham named Assistant AD.

a couple more things,
1) looks like her mother just passed, I think on the day of this announcement
2) she is married

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/postgazette/obituary.aspx?pid=175445305
Sluggo -

I know you passed on the information without editorial comment.

That said:

Item 1 probably isn't relevant to the topic at hand
Item 2 probably isn't a surprise to anyone....given the hiring trends within the AD.

th

Somewhere (I assume in Indiana), Renee Portland was heard muttering:

"What's next? They gonna' change the school colors from Blue & White....to Rainbow?.......Are they gonna' outlaw Zone - and make EVERYONE play Man-to-Man?"

Sluggo -

I know you passed on the information without editorial comment.

That said:

Item 1 probably isn't relevant to the topic at hand
Item 2 probably isn't a surprise to anyone....given the hiring trends within the AD.

th

Somewhere (I assume in Indiana), Renee Portland was heard muttering:

"What's next? They gonna' change the school colors from Blue & White....to Rainbow?.......Are they gonna' outlaw Zone - and make EVERYONE play Man-to-Man?"

The correct political term would now be: Person-to person!

LOL!!!

so her PSU bio/news release is wrong as well??

After graduating with a degree in history from Ursinus, Wickerham was the head field hockey and softball coach at Mount St. Mary’s (Maryland). She was a graduate assistant field hockey coach at the University of Iowa for two years while earning her master’s degree in physical education. Wickerham then served as an assistant women’s basketball coach at Eastern Michigan University before serving in a similar capacity at the University of Michigan for two years.

http://news.psu.edu/story/365014/2015/08/06/wickerham-named-penn-state-assistant-athletic-director

Maybe.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/University_Michigan_Michiganensian_Yearbook/1986/Page_144.html

And the first bio you cited makes no mention of her time at Eastern Michigan.

There seems to be a lot of anti- lesbian bias expressed by some who frequent this board whenever Sandy Barbour's name comes up. Or maybe it's just anti- female, in that some might believe that an AD needs to be a male? I think our society has moved far beyond that kind of thinking. But I just wonder how these same posters manage to support our women's sports teams. Or do they just support the ones who have no lesbian student athletes, if there are any? Or extending this further, to the men's teams which have no gay student athletes?
If they can play, they can play for Penn State, and we should support all teams, and all the Penn State athletes without regard to their sexual orientation.

There seems to be a lot of anti- lesbian bias expressed by some who frequent this board whenever Sandy Barbour's name comes up. Or maybe it's just anti- female, in that some might believe that an AD needs to be a male? I think our society has moved far beyond that kind of thinking. But I just wonder how these same posters manage to support our women's sports teams. Or do they just support the ones who have no lesbian student athletes, if there are any? Or extending this further, to the men's teams which have no gay student athletes?
If they can play, they can play for Penn State, and we should support all teams, and all the Penn State athletes without regard to their sexual orientation.

You may be right NitWit....I don't think anyone can truly say with confidence what may be in someone else's mind.

But I THINK most of the discontent - at least for me, and I think for most others - is with regard to HUGE, GINORMOUS compensation to an administrator who's track record is - at best - "not inspiring"....at worst - "abysmal fail". And then seeing the AD Administration swelling up like a July Watermelon with more and more and more highly compensated folks with dubious track records and nebulous and overlapping "responsibilities".

I do find it disappointing whenever the issues you're talking about bubble up on this forum. Especially at a school like ours that is not all that far removed from a rather unpleasant situation of the athletic department's handling of a bigoted coach who openly discriminated against lesbian athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT