ADVERTISEMENT

Andrea Wickerham named Assistant AD.

2 AD for every coach at this rate.
a5045753-47-sad-animated--smiley.gif

So PSU is becoming the choice destination for unemployed sports execs.

And this comes as a surprise to.........anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Birds of a Feather.......

You can only accumulate so much deadwood staff, before you have to hire someone to "manage" the deadwood.

th

But don't worry. This is just one more example of an "aggressive, outside-the-box, leadership style." Finally bringing in some of that outside expertise.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'm on the lookout for Asst AD in charge of Asst AD parking.

Reactions: psu00
And this comes as a surprise to.........anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Birds of a Feather.......

You can only accumulate so much deadwood staff, before you have to hire someone to "manage" the deadwood.

th

But don't worry. This is just one more example of an "aggressive, outside-the-box, leadership style." Finally bringing in some of that outside expertise.
Soon the innuendo and defamation of her will start. It might have already.

Soon the innuendo and defamation of her will start. It might have already.
Oh, it did (but before you make some completely incorrect attribution, take a look and see that the post you quoted was CLEARLY in response to the earlier comment regarding "PSU is becoming the choice destination for unemployed sports execs"...and nothing else)

But any "innuendo or defamation" on the part of any poster is irrelevant to the issue of running the Athletic Department.

Who's gonna' pay the salaries of all these Associate/Assistant/Assistant to the Associate/Associate to the Assistant ADs? ....... Do you want to volunteer? If so, feel free to send in your check .....I assume $5,000,000 to $6,000,000 per year ought to about cover the majority of the costs for the alphabet soup of AD administrators on the payroll.

I kinda' think most folks who pony up the $$$$$ to fund a University athletic department would like to think they are doing so in order to underwrite opportunities for the students to participate in athletics......not to create a multi-layered bureaucracy of highly compensated administrators......most of whom do NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING - to enhance the student-athlete experience.

But maybe that's just me.

Oh, it did (but before you make some completely incorrect attribution, take a look and see that the post you quoted was CLEARLY in response to the earlier comment regarding "PSU is becoming the choice destination for unemployed sports execs"...and nothing else)

But any "innuendo or defamation" on the part of any poster is irrelevant to the issue of running the Athletic Department.

Who's gonna' pay the salaries of all these Associate/Assistant/Assistant to the Associate/Associate to the Assistant ADs? ....... Do you want to volunteer? If so, feel free to send in your check .....I assume $5,000,000 to $6,000,000 per year ought to about cover the majority of the costs for the alphabet soup of AD administrators on the payroll.

I kinda' think most folks who pony up the $$$$$ to fund a University athletic department would like to think they are doing so in order to underwrite opportunities for the students to participate in athletics......not to create a multi-layered bureaucracy of highly compensated administrators......most of whom do NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING - to enhance the student-athlete experience.

This

Why weren't you on this campaign when the position was created? This is not a new position.

Why weren't you on this campaign when the position was created? This is not a new position.
Uh....no.

This position was created in one of SB's alphabet soup explosions earlier this year.

http://news.psu.edu/story/348481/20...collegiate-athletics-organizational-structure

Of course, none of that is to the point anyway.

The issue is "Do you want $6,000,000 per year of ICA resources diverted into paying the costs to maintain a bloated bureaucracy of do nothing administrators?" Period.

You do realize that the "justification" for this position is that "ICA now has such a high headcount - that they need a separate HR person just for the ICA bureaucracy"......so lets add another layer of (highly compensated) bureaucracy.

Is CATCH-22 even required reading in High School anymore?

I think there are better uses for the funds......but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise.....I can do without circle-jerking tangential obfuscations. So I should just check out.

Last edited:
Uh....no.

This position was created in one of SB's alphabet soup explosions earlier this year.

http://news.psu.edu/story/348481/20...collegiate-athletics-organizational-structure

Of course, none of that is to the point anyway.

The issue is "Do you want $6,000,000 per year of ICA resources diverted into paying the costs to maintain a bloated bureaucracy of do nothing administrators?" Period.

I think there are better uses for the funds......but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise.....I can do without circle-jerking tangential obfuscations. So I should just check out.

Did you read your link? The position is old. The title change is new. It is still not adding people.

Did you read your link? The position is old. The title change is new. It is still not adding people.

"Its still not adding people"

LOL Really?

Honestly.....the position was created earlier this year. An existing PSU employee sat in the chair until Wickerham was hired.

Then the guy who had been sitting in the chair was moved to another chair.

"Its still not adding more people". Really? Really?

Honestly.....it isn't that hard - is it?

Is it?

It seems like not a week goes by without adding more layers of bureaucracy and costs to the AD. You can't see that?

Really?

At last count, I believe we have ELEVEN Directors or Associate Directors of Communications - many for just a single sport. When do they create an Associate Director of Communications for the Groundskeepers group? How about one for the Equipment Crew? What is the magic number on the number of Associate Directors of Communications before THAT group will need ITS OWN separate Associate Director of Human Resources?

th

The PSU AD Guidebook to Streamlined Management:

th
th

Last edited:
Only of a certain persuasion, it appears.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's pretty clear where the mindset is.

I'll bet that within the year we will start seeing LGBT support videos start popping up from our A.D. about being the world leader of diversity in collegiate athletics.

Again, not that anything is wrong with that approach, but that's where, if I'm guessing based on the lifestyles that have taken the top two positions of our Athletics Program, we may become overwhelmed with such things going forward.

Reactions: furfoot and bjf1984
So ICA produces abut $110 million a year in revenue and has about 400 employees. How many employees does a $100 million company typically have? And remember, there's a lot more regulatory reporting and "employee" (student) services incumbent upon Penn State ICA than a private company.

To suggest that an enterprise as large as ICA shouldn't have a senior official in charge of HR seems pretty nonsensical to me. But then again, I'm not looking for opportunities to blast Penn State leadership at every turn.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
So ICA produces abut $110 million a year in revenue and has about 400 employees. How many employees does a $100 million company typically have? And remember, there's a lot more regulatory reporting and "employee" (student) services incumbent upon Penn State ICA than a private company.

To suggest that an enterprise as large as ICA shouldn't have a senior official in charge of HR seems pretty nonsensical to me. But then again, I'm not looking for opportunities to blast Penn State leadership at every turn.
th

Seeing as how most of the "employees" who actually generate the revenue are "unpaid student-athletes".......... :)

LOL

th

Reactions: furfoot and N&B4PSU
"Its still not adding people"

LOL Really?

Honestly.....the position was created earlier this year. An existing PSU employee sat in the chair until Wickerham was hired.

Then the guy who had been sitting in the chair was moved to another chair.

"Its still not adding more people". Really? Really?

Honestly.....it isn't that hard - is it?

Is it?

It seems like not a week goes by without adding more layers of bureaucracy and costs to the AD. You can't see that?

Really?

th

Do you now he is not returning to his old position? The only thing changed last year was the title. No position was created. Just the title was changed.

Last edited:
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's pretty clear where the mindset is.

I'll bet that within the year we will start seeing LGBT support videos start popping up from our A.D. about being the world leader of diversity in collegiate athletics.

Again, not that anything is wrong with that approach, but that's where, if I'm guessing based on the lifestyles that have taken the top two positions of our Athletics Program, we may become overwhelmed with such things going forward.

In fact, Cal did utilize that type of video to some acclaim.

How did Tim Curley run such a good organization with half the staff? Let's bring in McKenzie for $500K to do a study and look at efficiency. Maybe they can do it for $8M, we have an open checkbook. Our AD is looking more like a bank, plenty of titles to throw around.

How did Tim Curley run such a good organization with half the staff? Let's bring in McKenzie for $500K to do a study and look at efficiency. Maybe they can do it for $8M, we have an open checkbook. Our AD is looking more like a bank, plenty of titles to throw around.
th

Here's your Gal!!!

She may even give us the Repeat Customer discount......so long as someone provides her with the conclusions from her "exhaustive consultative study" ahead of time.

Or - if you are looking for an equal level of insight - but with a bit more beauty.....we could go here:

mqdefault.jpg
0ee86271.png

Next there will be a senior assistant AD in charge of the other assistant ADs.
Actually......don't know whether to laugh or cry......that is - in many ways - not far from the job description of Ms Wickerham.

I shit you not.

They played videos in the stadium throughout the year last year. Franklin, Chambers, and other coaches saying " if you can play, you can play". I imagine some our best athletes and coaches are gay. If they're playing for Penn State, I'll root for them.

Last edited:

well, before you sing the praises of the current group, remember that revenue comes from a variety of sources that the ad has little or no control over - ticket sales, seat licences, suites and of course tv revenue. I'm not one to say that the staff sits on their butts and does nothing, but they are not directly respnsible for $110m in revenue each year.
By the way, I'm solidly in the camp that believes that no matter how much Dr Barron and Ms Barbour complain about resources, Penn State has plenty of money. All you have to do is look at expenditures. No matter how much money they spend, there always seems to be more. I worked for a fortune 100 company and I know for a fact that our CEO did not have a rainy day fund of $6million as did Rodney Erickson.

Reactions: Sullivan

Has nothing to do with people being gay, but more so with the idea that it's being promoted and shoved down everyone's throat like there is some type of controversy, or divide amongst people at PSU.

OK, we have a lesbian AD, now an assistant AD who would also appear to be of a different persuasion, which is all fine.

But because of that, we now have to, as a school, as fans, be subject to the propaganda from an interest group begging for acceptance when they were all clearly already accepted.

Just not something I look forward to explaining to my kids who are under the age of 10 while sitting in WDU.

ADVERTISEMENT