ADVERTISEMENT

An Odd (but interesting) Wrestling Season?

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Relative to the past 10 years, my sense is that this year is extremely unusual.

It generates an odd feeling or long shadow of sorts as the season slowly moves forward.

The Olympic year is clearly a key to much of this (guys redshirting, gray shirting, or on abbreviated competitive schedules), but there are also injury issues on the squad, unknown starters and finishers at multiple weights, projected lineups that will likely be juggled; intra-team competitions for freestyle positions; the arrival of Snyder to the NLWC; and much more.

No Southern Scuffle. No Keystone Classic. Many starters absent at the Army tournament. A long layoff in late December and early January to allow for freestyle pursuits.

Iowa will clearly compete for the team title. First time in a long time. The dual meet streak of 60 and counting is on the line. So is the NCAA championship title. Rational concern? C'est la Vie?

It's not yet evident whether Cael is "all in" or looking at the situation more strategically. Is there a possibility of "punting: and waiting for the next few years?

Will or should anyone come out of redshirt? And who might that be? Beard, Brooks

Is there anyone who can put up consistent and reliable bonus points like Nolf and Nickal or DT and Ruth?

Perhaps the best way to view all these variables (and "known unknowns") is for the team to embrace the challenges. Still, I can't help feeling that this season is a little strange .... hopefully in a good way.

Thoughts?

Reactions: tbay165
It's not yet evident whether Cael is "all in" or looking at the situation more strategically. Is there a possibility of "punting: and waiting for the next few years?
?

Woah!! What’s you talking about Willis?! Of course we’re “all in.” If we weren’t, Hall, Cenzo and Cassar would be on Olympic redshirt.

Other than Conel not looking good so far, not sure where your nerves are coming from? I think Beard should be the guy right now but I trust Cael 100%.

Shak and Berge will be back soon enough and this is the perfect part of the season to be resting guys coming off injury. What’s the rush? The dual streak won’t be in jeopardy until 1/31 and by then hopefully we have a full healthy lineup. If not so be it. What really matters in March.

As Cael would say..be grateful. We have a great group of kids, with a full cupboard coming in hot next year and we have the most competitive coach that hates to lose. Pretty good combo

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't look at this season as being different than any other season.
-- Room's got 35 wrestlers (normal is 35-37)
-- Everyone's working to be the best version of themselves
-- Starters will be the guys that have separated themselves at each weight
-- The goal, as it is every year, is to win the National Championship

Nothing, absolutely nothing of substance, has changed. No drama, just follow the "process".

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
It would take a near perfect storm, but I could see the dual streak ending on Friday. If Berge, Shak, Conel and especially AC are out, if Shields finds a way, or if the Anthony Valencia of 2014 shows up.... Who knows.

That all said, I’m still feeling pretty confident about March. I’m just happy the season is here.

It would take a near perfect storm, but I could see the dual streak ending on Friday. If Berge, Shak, Conel and especially AC are out, if Shields finds a way, or if the Anthony Valencia of 2014 shows up.... Who knows.

That all said, I’m still feeling pretty confident about March. I’m just happy the season is here.
I agree, if missing 4 starters both ASU and Lehigh could win the dual.

Punt year.

giphy.gif

Sorry, but I don't look at this season as being different than any other season.
-- Room's got 35 wrestlers (normal is 35-37)
-- Everyone's working to be the best version of themselves
-- Starters will be the guys that have separated themselves at each weight
-- The goal, as it is every year, is to win the National Championship

Nothing, absolutely nothing of substance, has changed. No drama, just follow the "process".

@dmm53 step off the ledge, it will all work out.

MenacingCriminalBumblebee-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: diggerpup
Ok. Fine. I think some folks may have missed the point I was trying to make, or maybe I didn't make it clear enough. It's not about not trusting Sanderson (yes, a double negative) or the team or the likelihood of winning NCAAs (which I obviously want to happen).

It was about all the additional variables that seem (or appear) to be in play beyond the usual contingencies (e.g., injuries, changes in the lineup, graduations, etc.). Others have made this point about this season as a whole for multiple teams (rankings, lineups, etc.) in terms of the oddity of an Olympic year.

The point wasn't about early season panic; it was merely speculation about what the storylines and "drama" (for lack of a better word) might be and how that may play out. The season feels different to me; maybe it doesn't for others, and that is perfectly fine.

Ok. Fine. I think some folks may have missed the point I was trying to make, or maybe I didn't make it clear enough. It's not about not trusting Sanderson (yes, a double negative) or the team or the likelihood of winning NCAAs (which I obviously want to happen).

It was about all the additional variables that seem (or appear) to be in play beyond the usual contingencies (e.g., injuries, changes in the lineup, graduations, etc.). Others have made this point about this season as a whole for multiple teams (rankings, lineups, etc.) in terms of the oddity of an Olympic year.

The point wasn't about early season panic; it was merely speculation about what the storylines and "drama" (for lack of a better word) might be and how that may play out. The season feels different to me; maybe it doesn't for others, and that is perfectly fine.

Maybe you have fallen back to the pack??

Look at what is the same, this season to others, instead of the differences, and you'll have your answer. Cael & Co. will navigate those differences, and still focus on all that has made the program successful. They (the differences) will be insignificant in the end.

Look at what is the same, this season to others, instead of the differences, and you'll have your answer. Cael & Co. will navigate those differences, and still focus on all that has made the program successful. They (the differences) will be insignificant in the end.

Has anyone ever seen Roar and Cael in the same room?

I didn't think so. I think I've cracked the code, guys.

relax, they are just checking your skin thickness.

ADVERTISEMENT