ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing stat on the overall improvement of PSU's team strength and speed

Good stuff. Hopefully it translate to the field. (Not trying to be a Debbie Downer.)

I think the speed side has a lot to do with recruiting as well. The depth was so decimated by the sanctions that we were literally down to one guy who could run a sub 4.5. The amazing thing is how quickly Franklin restocked the depth.

I absolutely agree. This team could be really fun to watch.

Reactions: fairgambit
All good to hear, and esp. liked info about Paris Palmer; many are skeptical about his ability at LT, but the increase in strength and "good" weight is very encouraging. If he can handle that position well, it bodes well for the whole OL and the team.

Reactions: fairgambit
Those are encouraging numbers to say the least, and Palmer adding 100 pounds to his bench press bodes well for being able to push defenders back. Palmer strikes me as a very differently built olineman and there's a reason he was one of the most sought after JUCOs this year. More speed, more strength, more depth - can't wait to see what the season brings.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
All good to hear, and esp. liked info about Paris Palmer; many are skeptical about his ability at LT, but the increase in strength and "good" weight is very encouraging. If he can handle that position well, it bodes well for the whole OL and the team.
really seems to suggest that Palmer's problem is in fact lack of experience and not a physical problem,. If so that's great because that is a problem that can be solved.

Reactions: Sviatoslav
Good stuff. Hopefully it translate to the field. (Not trying to be a Debbie Downer.)

I recall the staff talking up the number of players who could run sub 4.5 40 last fall and it didn't seem to do much for the offense or kick returns. Speed really helps but there's more to it than that. Can the WRs create separation? Can the QB feel the rush and make smart decisions? Can the OL, RBs, & TEs block? Another year of experience should have helped these kids.

I remain skeptical that Palmer can turn it around so quickly but I hope I'm wrong. Where does Reihner fit into the mix? Is Beh strong enough to contribute? I assume Wright, Sorrell, and the true freshman are still too young to make a significant impact.

I recall the staff talking up the number of players who could run sub 4.5 40 last fall and it didn't seem to do much for the offense or kick returns. Speed really helps but there's more to it than that. Can the WRs create separation? Can the QB feel the rush and make smart decisions? Can the OL, RBs, & TEs block? Another year of experience should have helped these kids.

I remain skeptical that Palmer can turn it around so quickly but I hope I'm wrong. Where does Reihner fit into the mix? Is Beh strong enough to contribute? I assume Wright, Sorrell, and the true freshman are still too young to make a significant impact.

That's where I was going. There's athleticism and then there's football instincts and skills. Hopefully these players have the right combination. I stand by my earlier post that this team could be really fun to watch by virtue of their athleticism, but it obviously has to translate to the game.

Per Franklin, plays work better with better players. People may be unsure of Donovan, but Franklin has surrounded himself with excellent staff.

Really looking forward to seeing this year's team speed. Have it at DB, WR and TB. Should be fun to watch.

Yes, I watched one of the fastest players on the team return kickoffs most of last year. All I saw was this player taking the ko and running into the sideline at about the 15 yard line. No football instincts and there was never a threat of him "breaking" one. Hopefully, that part of the game will improve this year.

Really looking forward to seeing this year's team speed. Have it at DB, WR and TB. Should be fun to watch.

PSU is loaded with 4* talent on offense but they still finished last in the B1G in scoring. It goes to show the importance of a good OL and kicking game. I'm looking forward to seeing if we've improved in those areas.

PSU is loaded with 4* talent on offense but they still finished last in the B1G in scoring. It goes to show the importance of a good OL and kicking game. I'm looking forward to seeing if we've improved in those areas.

Yes but the lack of speed (and depth) at TB was a big part of the offensive troubles as well. On the occasions where the OL did create holes, the backs last year were often slow getting through them. ON the occasions where the play was executed perfectly, a lack of speed meant the play would go for 7 years or 11 yards instead of 20 or 30. And on the ocassions where the defense was fooled and ended up out of position, PSU would get a long gain but not a TD out of it because they didn't have backs who could take it to the house. They have that this year.

I'm not minimizing the importance of OL at all, but speed WILL make a difference this year at running back and in the secondary where a couple of the fast guys are now fast guys with experience. When they can run fast AND play fast they start to make plays.

Yes but the lack of speed (and depth) at TB was a big part of the offensive troubles as well. On the occasions where the OL did create holes, the backs last year were often slow getting through them. ON the occasions where the play was executed perfectly, a lack of speed meant the play would go for 7 years or 11 yards instead of 20 or 30. And on the ocassions where the defense was fooled and ended up out of position, PSU would get a long gain but not a TD out of it because they didn't have backs who could take it to the house. They have that this year.

I'm not minimizing the importance of OL at all, but speed WILL make a difference this year at running back and in the secondary where a couple of the fast guys are now fast guys with experience. When they can run fast AND play fast they start to make plays.

That's what we're hoping for. More quick plays and better decisions by Hack would help too. This is his 3rd year so I'm optimistic.

I hate to criticize a Penn State player, but Bill Belton had the worst balance I can remember for a running back. It's amazing how many times he stopped himself by slipping. If he was going straight, no problem, but if he tried to change direction, he often slipped.

I hate to criticize a Penn State player, but Bill Belton had the worst balance I can remember for a running back. It's amazing how many times he stopped himself by slipping. If he was going straight, no problem, but if he tried to change direction, he often slipped.

Not sure if you ever watched Derrick Williams... granted he wasn't a RB but they made him into ones on many plays.

There was another back who was much worse but can't recall the name. Even when he'd break through he'd somehow fall.

LdN

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Not sure if you ever watched Derrick Williams... granted he wasn't a RB but they made him into ones on many plays.

There was another back who was much worse but can't recall the name. Even when he'd break through he'd somehow fall.

LdN

I don't remember Williams falling like Belton. With Belton, you just knew it would happen. He just couldn't change direction.

That's what we're hoping for. More quick plays and better decisions by Hack would help too. This is his 3rd year so I'm optimistic.
Another component of team speed is reacting rather than thinking because of being more familiar with the system. I am hopeful that this is the case with the Oline and offense in general this year.

LdN

Silas ran a little out of control as well, but think would have flourished on a team like '94's.

Royster was perhaps the best at performing within his physical limits.

Devon Smith was even worse than DWill in terms of falling down. Just observations, not a sign of "hate" ...

Reactions: bison13 and N&B4PSU
This conversation took a silly turn.

Obviously if you only have 1 guy on the whole roster who runs sub 4.5 forty your odds of having an explosive offense and special teams is pretty low.

Now on the flip side if you have 13 guys on the roster who now run a sub 4.5 forty you just drastically improved those odds.

We aren't talking about going from 3 to 5, we are talking about gong from 1 to 13.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college...-paris-palmer-christian-hackenberg-story.html
When Galt arrived in 2014 there was only player in the roster who ran a sub 4.5 forty. Now less than 2 years later there are 13.
When Galt arrived in 2014 there were only 10 players who could clean lift 300 pounds, now there are 57.
Those are some amazing stats.
Big deal. I understand that PItt has 90 guys who can run sub 4.5 forties, and 90 more who can clean lift 400 pounds. And Rutgers has numbers that are even better.:rolleyes:

This conversation took a silly turn.

Obviously if you only have 1 guy on the whole roster who runs sub 4.5 forty your odds of having an explosive offense and special teams is pretty low.

Now on the flip side if you have 13 guys on the roster who now run a sub 4.5 forty you just drastically improved those odds.

We aren't talking about going from 3 to 5, we are talking about gong from 1 to 13.

Lucky we're not stuck with Bobby Engram, Joe Jurevicius, Derek Moye, ARob, Evan Royster, Tony Hunt, Aaron Harris, and Curtis Enis. We'd be doomed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT