ADVERTISEMENT

Althons predicts Duke Mayo Bowl

And that may be a game that I choose not to watch because most likely the 2022 season will be much like the 2020 and 2021 seasons. I know that Franklin was selling the Administration on the 2023-2025 seasons being his defining moments, but man when are 4-6 loss seasons just too much and not acceptable?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I put ZERO stock in these early projections but the mayo bowl is one of the more fun lower tier bowls. Their sponsor has really been active on social media and doesn't take themselves too seriously, it's become one with a bit of a cult following. Last year they dumped mayo on the coach postgame.

Reactions: CltDon1
Our football program continues to scream “second tier” to all and sundry. Totally unacceptable, or should be. An afterthought - bowls at the level of Dukes Mayo, whatever the hell that is, are completely meaningless. We’re not even thought of as NY 6 worthy anymore. What a damn shame.

PSU Administration, athletic and otherwise, simply don’t get it. The cash machine of the football program is running on fumes - it’s continuation requires WINS and Championships - not 7-6 disasters and the Duke freakin Mayo bowl.

Incompetence, and nothing but incompetence. Depressing.

Our football program continues to scream “second tier” to all and sundry. Totally unacceptable, or should be. An afterthought - bowls at the level of Dukes Mayo, whatever the hell that is, are completely meaningless. We’re not even thought of as NY 6 worthy anymore. What a damn shame.

PSU Administration, athletic and otherwise, simply don’t get it. The cash machine of the football program is running on fumes - it’s continuation requires WINS and Championships - not 7-6 disasters and the Duke freakin Mayo bowl.

I believe that it is more embarrassing for a program like PSU to participate in a bowl like this than not to qualify for it.

Wow, some crappy preseason rag makes a prediction and you take it as gospel. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is a sucker born every day. If you don't like where they are projected to go, don't click the link. Outside of Bama, GA, and the Buttflies these things are 100% a guess. They do this so they gets clicks and traffic on their sites. Look at the projections after Week 10, they might be close. Heck I was the only one on this board that had PSU to the Outback Bowl late last season.

Truth is, none of these blow hards know who is going where.

There is a sucker born every day. If you don't like where they are projected to go, don't click the link. Outside of Bama, GA, and the Buttflies these things are 100% a guess. They do this so they gets clicks and traffic on their sites. Look at the projections after Week 10, they might be close. Heck I was the only one on this board that had PSU to the Outback Bowl late last season.

Truth is, none of these blow hards know who is going where.
Well, my record projection for this season is similar to last season, if not slightly worse. Therefore, you have to ask yourself which bowls are filled with .500 teams. I hope that I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Well, my record projection for this season is similar to last season, if not slightly worse. Therefore, you have to ask yourself which bowls are filled with .500 teams. I hope that I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
I actually give the last 2 years a pass. The Covid year was a waste and I thought the team was playing well before Clifford got hurt.

Lmao it’s July and you are getting worked up over a prediction for December

Reactions: NJPSU and PSU&Trout
yeah. I don't really care. Every year is different. PSU has underperformed, the last two years especially. Who would have predicted Indiana two years ago or Sparty last year?

our offense needs to get their act together. There is no reason why we can't be that break out team this year. We have talent all over the field to match with any team not from central Ohio.

I actually give the last 2 years a pass. The Covid year was a waste and I thought the team was playing well before Clifford got hurt.
I do not give Franklin a pass on either year. I predicted 7-5 in 2020 before over-reactionary people over-reacted to COVID due to the radical shift in the offensive philosophy, the misfit between talent and system and the obvious inevitability of this going poorly and Franklin interjecting himself into the process. 2021 was going to be more of the same with MY, who is even less pragmatic than KC.

The team only looked like it was playing well heading into Iowa. Wisconsin and Auburn largely blew wins. Villanova of all teams highlighted major flaws in the defense and offense. It was only a matter of time until the wheels fell off. Clifford’s injury turbocharged it but win/loss wise only impacted one game; Illinois.

Reactions: Ian
yeah. I don't really care. Every year is different. PSU has underperformed, the last two years especially. Who would have predicted Indiana two years ago or Sparty last year?

our offense needs to get their act together. There is no reason why we can't be that break out team this year. We have talent all over the field to match with any team not from central Ohio.
Actually I did. Indiana was rising prior to 2020 and all it took was a little bit is disruption to lift then from a 6-6 team to something more. I picked Sparty to go 10-2 preseason because Mel Tucker is the coach people desperately want Franklin to be but never will.

I put ZERO stock in these early projections but the mayo bowl is one of the more fun lower tier bowls. Their sponsor has really been active on social media and doesn't take themselves too seriously, it's become one with a bit of a cult following. Last year they dumped mayo on the coach postgame.
Gross

I do not give Franklin a pass on either year. I predicted 7-5 in 2020 before over-reactionary people over-reacted to COVID due to the radical shift in the offensive philosophy, the misfit between talent and system and the obvious inevitability of this going poorly and Franklin interjecting himself into the process. 2021 was going to be more of the same with MY, who is even less pragmatic than KC.

The team only looked like it was playing well heading into Iowa. Wisconsin and Auburn largely blew wins. Villanova of all teams highlighted major flaws in the defense and offense. It was only a matter of time until the wheels fell off. Clifford’s injury turbocharged it but win/loss wise only impacted one game; Illinois.
Flaws or no flaws if clifford doesn't get hurt they lose 1 games last year, ohio state.

Flaws or no flaws if clifford doesn't get hurt they lose 1 games last year, ohio state.
BS. The only game his injury impacted was Illinois. He was close to 100% against Michigan and Michigan State. People can stick their heads in the sand all they want, last year's team has several fatal flaws. We are lucky Wisconsin and Auburn did more to lose those games than we did to win because we are far closer to a 5 and 7 also ran than a 11 and 1 team.

Reactions: BBHorn86
BS. The only game his injury impacted was Illinois. He was close to 100% against Michigan and Michigan State. People can stick their heads in the sand all they want, last year's team has several fatal flaws. We are lucky Wisconsin and Auburn did more to lose those games than we did to win because we are far closer to a 5 and 7 also ran than a 11 and 1 team.
So let me get this straight.....

When Penn State wins games it is because the other team lost the game and we got lucky and when Penn State loses a game it is because they have fatal flaws? Gotcha ya.

Go watch the Auburn game man.....Clifford was as good as it gets and led the team to a win against an SEC Team.

And....he was nowhere near 100% the rest of the year after the Iowa Injury. It changed the game plan and it changed his ability to run the football effectively.

So let me get this straight.....

When Penn State wins games it is because the other team lost the game and we got lucky and when Penn State loses a game it is because they have fatal flaws? Gotcha ya.

Go watch the Auburn game man.....Clifford was as good as it gets and led the team to a win against an SEC Team.

And....he was nowhere near 100% the rest of the year after the Iowa Injury. It changed the game plan and it changed his ability to run the football effectively.
We have 11 years of data on Franklin. He doesn't beat equally talented or more talented teams very often. His record against slightly less talented teams isn't much better. You can stick you head in the sand all you want but those are games Franklin loses 4 out of 5 times. And yes, that fifth time tends to have the other team shooting themselves in the foot more often than not. Blame Clifford's injury all you want. You sound like one of the people that blamed Trace's injury for the team falling to 8 and 4 even though it didn't impact the outcome of a single game. Franklin is the common denominator. We are going to lose 4 or 5 games this year. Maybe 6. Franklin will be outcoaching in all of them plus a couple more if the trends hold. Again, we have 11 years of data saying he doesn't beat equally or more talented teams.

Reactions: jbenedict
We have 11 years of data on Franklin. He doesn't beat equally talented or more talented teams very often. His record against slightly less talented teams isn't much better. You can stick you head in the sand all you want but those are games Franklin loses 4 out of 5 times. And yes, that fifth time tends to have the other team shooting themselves in the foot more often than not. Blame Clifford's injury all you want. You sound like one of the people that blamed Trace's injury for the team falling to 8 and 4 even though it didn't impact the outcome of a single game. Franklin is the common denominator. We are going to lose 4 or 5 games this year. Maybe 6. Franklin will be outcoaching in all of them plus a couple more if the trends hold. Again, we have 11 years of data saying he doesn't beat equally or more talented teams.
guess we shall see, although they could go 11-2 and you would find something to bitch about.

i think CJF's first few years were influenced by the sanctions. So I give him a pass on those. The next years, the Barkley/McSorley years, we did just fine. then the state of PA, along with the B1G, couldn't have screwed up PSU football more if they tried. Other states didn't do what PA did in terms of making kids go home. When the season restarted, we basically had to rebuild the team via planes, trains and automobiles, were restricted on in person meetings and had a new OC. Then we lost our three top RBs by the end of the first series of the season and lost a heartbreaker. Last year and this year have been very poorly coached and executed. CJF needs to do better, that is clear in 2022.

Maybe wait and see what bowl we actually end up playing in before getting so worked up. It's just another pointless preseason prediction which is probably <10% accurate.

Reactions: Texas Lion
i think CJF's first few years were influenced by the sanctions. So I give him a pass on those. The next years, the Barkley/McSorley years, we did just fine. then the state of PA, along with the B1G, couldn't have screwed up PSU football more if they tried. Other states didn't do what PA did in terms of making kids go home. When the season restarted, we basically had to rebuild the team via planes, trains and automobiles, were restricted on in person meetings and had a new OC. Then we lost our three top RBs by the end of the first series of the season and lost a heartbreaker. Last year and this year have been very poorly coached and executed. CJF needs to do better, that is clear in 2022.
Franklin didn't really experience impacts of the sanctions. O'Brien and company almost fully mitigated them prior to his arrival. The sanctions are an excuse for bad coaching hires and coaching decisions, just like Covid. Even in his good years (where the bulk of the impact players were inherited as opposed to identified and developed) his poor decisions making was on full display. He simply doesn't beat talented teams. He beats less talented teams, mostly overwhelmingly less talented.

Franklin didn't really experience impacts of the sanctions. O'Brien and company almost fully mitigated them prior to his arrival. The sanctions are an excuse for bad coaching hires and coaching decisions, just like Covid. Even in his good years (where the bulk of the impact players were inherited as opposed to identified and developed) his poor decisions making was on full display. He simply doesn't beat talented teams. He beats less talented teams, mostly overwhelmingly less talented.
That isn't correct.

Franklin's early teams were heavily impacted. When he came in, we had 7 OL total, on the entire team. We started a Juco at RT who was a really nice kid but was simply awful. As 'ships were restored, they had to cycle up to being Jrs and Srs.

In the sanction era, our class ranking average 35th. Even when CJF took over and started to do much better, the year the kid was recruited didn't often bear fruit for three more years (HS Senior, Fresh, Soph).

Duke's Real Smooth & Creamy Mayonnaise 32oz​

product image 1 of 6 slides

Cheap crap.

I don't know about Smith. he was a second round pick so probably would have left even if vince lombardi was coach.

What I will say is that one of the beat writers did a video write up of the PSU Temple game. He said that this OL was the worst PSU OL of all time. It was the worst of any power five school. And while he couldn't be sure, it was probably one of the worst OLs of all time. paris palmer gave up a sack against Temple's two man rush!

Reactions: lazydave841
I don't know about Smith. he was a second round pick so probably would have left even if vince lombardi was coach.

What I will say is that one of the beat writers did a video write up of the PSU Temple game. He said that this OL was the worst PSU OL of all time. It was the worst of any power five school. And while he couldn't be sure, it was probably one of the worst OLs of all time. paris palmer gave up a sack against Temple's two man rush!
It was, but the problem wasn't necessarily the players. It was the coaches. Every last linemen on the roster was recruited and developed to run a man blocking scheme. 100% of their experience was in man. Under Donovan, we used a kitchen sink approach to blocking mixed with the worst designed passing game I have ever seen making everything worse. We used pure zone on roughly 30 percent of the plays. Pure gap for another 30 percent, spread gap for 20 and man, which is what the talent was suited to run for less than 10% of plays. To a man, they rated above average for that 10% only. That was a coaching decision. Never mind the passing concepts where they would frequently terminate three routes within five yards of each allowing any team with a pulse to defend three receivers with two defenders. Never mind all the darn bubble screens which assume the QB has the legs of an option QB. Bottom line, we had the worst coached offense in America in 14 and 15. Franklin owns that. Coaching, not talent, to include the line, was 90% plus of the problem.

Reactions: john4psu
That is some major BS, that team wasn't going to beat either of the MI teams. Franklin's total failure to have adequate backup prepared for Iowa and Illinois is a glaring indication of his lack of abilities.

I am not the one with the problem, people like you are. You don't like what I have to say, can't argue, debate or counter so you insult or change the subject. Pretty typical actually.
Can’t debate? Pretty sure my side was the team loses 1 game last year with a healthy clifford and your response was I was crazy. You called me a scum, not the other way around.
I stand by that if clifford doesn’t get hurt they beat Iowa and Illinois. Lose to Ohio state but with something to play for (theory or motivation) they do not fail late vs Michigan and Michigan state.

You all do see the real issue, correct? I’ll spell it out, just in case:

Penn State football loses too many games

Coach Franklin, irrespective of who makes up his staff, loses too many games

Coach O’Brien lost too many games

Coach Paterno, as a Big Ten conference coach, lost too many games

Penn State football’s image/perception is of a formerly great program that is no longer considered as such because it loses too many games

Noticing a theme? Sometimes A + B does in fact equal C. Too many losses over too many seasons = a program viewed and predicted to be a non-contender and 2nd tier.

EXACTLY what this PoS conference wanted - bring your fan base, bring your alumni eyes to the TV, and don’t threaten the only 2 schools we care about. And the lazy dull-wits in charge of PSU Athletics etc fell right into the conference‘s plan.

Reactions: BBHorn86
Can’t debate? Pretty sure my side was the team loses 1 game last year with a healthy clifford and your response was I was crazy. You called me a scum, not the other way around.
I stand by that if clifford doesn’t get hurt they beat Iowa and Illinois. Lose to Ohio state but with something to play for (theory or motivation) they do not fail late vs Michigan and Michigan state.
You put quotes around a statement I didn't say implying I said it. That says much about you.

You all do see the real issue, correct? I’ll spell it out, just in case:

Penn State football loses too many games

Coach Franklin, irrespective of who makes up his staff, loses too many games

Coach O’Brien lost too many games

Coach Paterno, as a Big Ten conference coach, lost too many games

Penn State football’s image/perception is of a formerly great program that is no longer considered as such because it loses too many games

Noticing a theme? Sometimes A + B does in fact equal C. Too many losses over too many seasons = a program viewed and predicted to be a non-contender and 2nd tier.

EXACTLY what this PoS conference wanted - bring your fan base, bring your alumni eyes to the TV, and don’t threaten the only 2 schools we care about. And the lazy dull-wits in charge of PSU Athletics etc fell right into the conference‘s plan.
You act as if the B10 was the cause of decline in PSU's image, when it is in fact due to mediocre performance. Between the 86 season and the 93 season, the record was 48-23-1 which equates to 0.667 including a 5-6 season. Don't even try to attribute that to B10 membership.

You guys are hilarious, absolutely hilarious. How about if we play the season and see what happens. If Athlon told you Santa Claus was real would you believe that too?

Reactions: john4psu
There are going to be a lot of unhappy people if we finish 7-6 or worse.

I think the Purdue game is critical to having a good season. PSU simply can't afford to lose to teams like Purdue when they have so many stronger teams ahead of them

Reactions: MacNit07
You put quotes around a statement I didn't say implying I said it. That says much about you.
Didn't know this message board was English class. Probably why I stay on The Lions Den Board alot more than coming over here.

When you lose the argument, tell them they spelled something wrong, or call them a name...then you win!!!

Didn't know this message board was English class. Probably why I stay on The Lions Den Board alot more than coming over here.

When you lose the argument, tell them they spelled something wrong, or call them a name...then you win!!!
Now you are just backtracking. You lied. Deal with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT