ADVERTISEMENT

Allentown area golf recommendations?

psufan1999797

Apr 13, 2015
I am commuting through the area on Friday and thinking of playing a round either at 1) Bella Vista (actually Gilbertsville but close enough), 2) Locust Valley, or 3) Bethlehem Golf Club.

These are the order of my preference based on a cursory internet search. Any thoughts or recommendations on these courses?

Thanks!

Bella Vista is a decent public course. They have a par 3 with an island green. Last time I played they were building houses around the course.

Not sure what route you're taking, but about 1/2 hr from Allentown along route 309 is a links-style course in New Tripoli, Olde Homestead. Very nice layout.
If you're closer to Easton during your travels, there's an awesome course just across the Jersey state line, The Architects. Each hole is a design copy of a famous golf course architect.
Iron Lakes in Schecksville is a nice course. Played it once and I was impressed.
Hit 'em straight !!

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
Not sure what route you're taking, but about 1/2 hr from Allentown along route 309 is a links-style course in New Tripoli, Olde Homestead. Very nice layout.
If you're closer to Easton during your travels, there's an awesome course just across the Jersey state line, The Architects. Each hole is a design copy of a famous golf course architect.
Iron Lakes in Schecksville is a nice course. Played it once and I was impressed.
Hit 'em straight !!
I will check out Olde Homestead. I typically play Morgan Hill in Easton but it appears as though they are having an outing. And I will be very close to Golden Oaks (can't believe I never played it) but they too are apparently having an outing.

Bella Vista > Golden Oaks by a long shot. I play each 3-4 times per year. BV is just a better layout with more interesting holes. Both were kept up nicely the last time I played them. Enjoy!!!!

Bella Vista > Golden Oaks by a long shot. I play each 3-4 times per year. BV is just a better layout with more interesting holes. Both were kept up nicely the last time I played them. Enjoy!!!!
That's good to know. I'll have to check out Bella Vista . . .

If you belong to a club somewhere not too far from Bethlehem you might want to see if the pro at your club can get you on Saucon Valley .... Sometimes pro's can work out reciprocal deals or just pay greens fees which at Saucon Valley is definetly worth it ...

If you belong to a club somewhere not too far from Bethlehem you might want to see if the pro at your club can get you on Saucon Valley .... Sometimes pro's can work out reciprocal deals or just pay greens fees which at Saucon Valley is definetly worth it ...
I heard that SV is struggling this year, and is offering a summer only membership. I never thought that would happen.

Par 3's at Golden Oaks blow away Buena Vista, plus no comparison on overall conditioning. With that said , I do like Buena Vista .
Golden Oaks
Old Homestead
Buena Vista
Berkleigh

All enjoyable in the area you mentioned . Locust Valley is a shell of its old self , as it has changed ownership and more and more trees have been removed in failed anticipation of housing development .

Last edited:
I will check out Olde Homestead. I typically play Morgan Hill in Easton but it appears as though they are having an outing. And I will be very close to Golden Oaks (can't believe I never played it) but they too are apparently having an outing.
I dont know anything about golf, and its courses. But I was watching Barnyard builders one day, and they took a side trip to Olde Homestead , the place looked assume.! In fact I thought if I was up that way again, its a place I would want to visit, Just imo.

https://oldehomesteadgolfclub.com/index.php#

Good choice. I recommend Olde Homestead.

Update: Found a sweet deal online ($30) for Berkleigh. Played there, although not too well.... Thanks for the tips.

How much is a regular membership these days? Or the national membership?
IDK, two of my friends have out of the area memberships, IIRC initiation fee around 10k, not sure of annual dues. Summer membership was under 3k IIRC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT