ADVERTISEMENT

All this hoopla about rather recent PSU athletes (which is great & well deserved) but who here remembers Mike Shine Olympic medalist?

I remember that Edwin Moses also did something but since Shine was a Nittany Lion I considered it a bigger victory!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yeah he was that lightskin McCally Calkin lookin kid that could hit Frank Vincent with a nerfball lemon juice grenade from 70 feet

I was on the athletic training staff back then as a student and remember working with him on occasion. It was really cool watching him win that silver medal! Also on the training staff was Eddie Sulkowski. He went to the 1976 Olympics as the athletic trainer for the boxing team. That was the year Sugar Ray Leonard won gold.

I had a few classes with Mike and recently found a few photos of him. He was a very down to earth nice guy!

I was on the athletic training staff back then as a student and remember working with him on occasion. It was really cool watching him win that silver medal! Also on the training staff was Eddie Sulkowski. He went to the 1976 Olympics as the athletic trainer for the boxing team. That was the year Sugar Ray Leonard won gold.
Didn't Shine try out for the football team one spring? '75 maybe?
Edit: Or maybe not him, but another PSU sprinter from Jamaica or somewhere in the Caribbean?

Edit part 2: Thanks to the post (#14) by PSU Mike, I remember now... it was sprinter Mike Sands who flirted with trying to be a wideout in '75 or '76. I think Sands was from Jamaica.

Last edited:
I had several classes with Mike. He just kept getting better. He could have been a gold metal winner if it wasn’t for Moses who was the best . I remember that there was a sprinter doctor who made the SI cover, Delano(?). The running 100m doctor was invited to the PSU open. Penn State had a good 100 guy but he was injured so Shine ran against him and the field. The running doctor almost got beat. He leaned Mike out at the tape. I have a photo of that finish.

I remember it fairly well. I only ever met him at a track alum function or two (incl Harry Groves’ 25th anniversary as PSU Head Coach celebration in ‘93). He and Mike Sands were pretty big figures from that era.

I remember it fairly well. I only ever met him at a track alum function or two (incl Harry Groves’ 25th anniversary as PSU Head Coach celebration in ‘93). He and Mike Sands were pretty big figures from that era.
Talk about a guy really put together....Mike Sands was THAT guy!

A few weeks after the 76 Olympics, Franklin Field hosted the Bicentennial Meet. I was just a kid, but I remember seeing Mike Shine run the 400M IH there. A bunch of olympians ran in the meet. They had about 15-20K in Franklin Field for it. Cool event. Dwight Stones set the high jum;p WR that night. I spent an hour in line after the meet getting Stones' autograph on the official event program.

Didn't Shine try out for the football team one spring? '75 maybe?
Edit: Or maybe not him, but another PSU sprinter from Jamaica or somewhere in the Caribbean?

Edit part 2: Thanks to the post (#14) by PSU Mike, I remember now... it was sprinter Mike Sands who flirted with trying to be a wideout in '75 or '76. I think Sands was from Jamaica.
That was Mike Sands, the sprinter. Really fast, but had brick hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT