ADVERTISEMENT

All the moves to reduce social contact will save lives

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
I have been a care giver forvelderly clients for about 7 years. No one under 30 is at risk but keeping the virus away from the younger generations will protect the older population. It will flatten the curve and bring us back to normal much faster. I am 75 and a heart attack survivor but I am very healthy and will walk 2000+ miles this year.
Protect your parents and grand parents as much as you can.

I have been a care giver forvelderly clients for about 7 years. No one under 30 is at risk but keeping the virus away from the younger generations will protect the older population. It will flatten the curve and bring us back to normal much faster. I am 75 and a heart attack survivor but I am very healthy and will walk 2000+ miles this year.

You walked 2,000 miles? How the heck are you gonna get home? :)

You walked 2,000 miles? How the heck are you gonna get home? :)
giphy.gif

You are a good woman Mary. I mean that. :)

Seasonal flu will still kill many many more than this will.

Meanwhile, it'll take a year or two to get the economy back on track.

Reactions: psu7113
I have problems with statements that say “X” is worth it because it will save lives. Okay. How many? There has to be a number attached to the calculus otherwise it’s meaningless. Is the cost worth the benefit? That is the question that must be asked.

I have problems with statements that say “X” is worth it because it will save lives. Okay. How many? There has to be a number attached to the calculus otherwise it’s meaningless. Is the cost worth the benefit? That is the question that must be asked.
Are you saying lives have a dollar value? If so, what is that value?

Are you saying lives have a dollar value? If so, what is that value?

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Of course the next question you’ll have is what is the number? But that’s not the point. The point is that it’s ridiculous to believe that absolutely any action, or inaction, no matter how outrageous or excessive is justified simply by stating that it will save lives.

There has to be a limit as to how far a society is willing to go to save a life. That limit differs depending on the actual society. In this case one has to begin thinking how many lives an economic collapse will cost? How much more suffering? How many more suicides, overdoses, etc. If the US no longer has the funds to allocate to programs that save lives, do those count? How about if we (govt or private) can no longer fund food or vaccination programs in developing countries? Do those lives count? There is a number and there are always consequences.

Not only will they survive, they’ll all have to go back into the work force because they will be broke. But it might be hard to find a job since the rest of us will have to work until we’re 80 since we took will be broke.

Just received this mail from PennDOT District-6 District Engineer......

District 6-0 Employees and Embedded Consultants:

Effective the beginning of the work day tomorrow, March 13th, Governor Wolf has directed state office buildings in Montgomery County to close for a 14-day period. In an abundance of caution, the District Office will be closed at midnight, tonight, March 13th. The following are additional details that pertain to this preemptive closure;

RTMC operations will be transferred to the STMC for operational control starting at midnight tonight.

Montgomery County Maintenance operations will be reduced to a mission-critical staffing level. The sign crew, bridge crew, and one general maintenance crew will report to the County Maintenance Office. In addition, county support personnel will be identified to report on a rotational basis. The ADE-M will provide additional details momentarily.
County Maintenance Operations in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Philadelphia counties will report to work as normal. This excludes those employees who reside in Montgomery County.
Construction projects geographically located in Montgomery County will be temporarily shut down starting at midnight tonight and will remain closed to comply with the two week period. Department staff will not report to the job site during this period. Contractors should have emergency response crews available to handle an emergency situation that may occur within the workzone and/or project limits. Additional details pertaining to administrative processing of construction contracts will be sent to our construction staff under separate cover.
Employees who reside in Montgomery County who work outside the county should not report to work. These employees should telecommute, if possible.
Employees who reside outside of Montgomery County, but work in Montgomery County should work remote, if possible.
The Governor’s office is working on a policy to grant additional leave to employees to cover their 10 work-day absence, if not approved to work remotely.
If issued a laptop, please take it home and be prepared to work remotely for this 14-day period. Work files that you may need to do your job should be taken home as well.

District leadership will be supplying a roster of employees who are authorized to work from home during this 14 calendar-day period. Employees not authorized to work from home will be supplied with additional leave to cover the period in which you are directed to not report to work.

I want to thank everyone for their continued cooperation as this critical health event evolves. Please continue to monitor your phones and emails for additional details in the next several days. Important notices may be sent via the CodeRed system as a means of communication or you may receive calls from your supervisor. I encourage each of you to exercise common sense practices to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. These techniques can be found on the PA Department of Health Website.

Suggest you read Gary T. Schwartz:
The Myth of the Ford Pinto Case [article]. Rutgers Law Review, Vol. 43, Issue 4 (Winter 1991), pp. 1013-1068 ;

No link, but you can find it on line or at your nearest law library.
Thanks Fair, read about the "risk analysis" in the past. Glad you introduced it into the thread. About a third less expensive for Ford to cover payment for victim's than to replace an $11 fuel line part.

The Pinto was introduced in the 1971 model year as competition to the small, affordable cars of the period, like the Chevrolet Vega and the AMC Gremlin. The Pinto sold well, but it had safety issues, specifically the charge that its gas tank ruptured and caught fire in rear-end collisions. In 1977, Mark Dowie wrote an exposé for Mother Jones claiming that Ford knew about the Pinto’s problems, but declined to recall the cars and install an $11 plastic part because “cost-benefit” analysis showed settling burn victims’ lawsuits would save the company more than $70 million.

A key piece of evidence was an internal memo titled “Fatalities Associated with Crash-Induced Fuel Leakage and Fires.” Mr. Dowie says today he dug it out of a filing cabinet at the Transportation Department. The memo assigned a cost of $200,000 per burn death and $67,000 per serious injury. “It was an obvious smoking gun,” Mr. Dowie said.

The Pinto has its defenders. A 1991 Rutgers Law Review article by Gary T. Schwartz, “The Myth of the Ford Pinto Case,” maintains that the Pinto was not significantly more dangerous than other cars of the time, and that the internal memo reflected accepted federal safety standards then in place.

Just received this mail from PennDOT District-6 District Engineer......

District 6-0 Employees and Embedded Consultants:

Effective the beginning of the work day tomorrow, March 13th, Governor Wolf has directed state office buildings in Montgomery County to close for a 14-day period. In an abundance of caution, the District Office will be closed at midnight, tonight, March 13th. The following are additional details that pertain to this preemptive closure;

RTMC operations will be transferred to the STMC for operational control starting at midnight tonight.

Montgomery County Maintenance operations will be reduced to a mission-critical staffing level. The sign crew, bridge crew, and one general maintenance crew will report to the County Maintenance Office. In addition, county support personnel will be identified to report on a rotational basis. The ADE-M will provide additional details momentarily.
County Maintenance Operations in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Philadelphia counties will report to work as normal. This excludes those employees who reside in Montgomery County.
Construction projects geographically located in Montgomery County will be temporarily shut down starting at midnight tonight and will remain closed to comply with the two week period. Department staff will not report to the job site during this period. Contractors should have emergency response crews available to handle an emergency situation that may occur within the workzone and/or project limits. Additional details pertaining to administrative processing of construction contracts will be sent to our construction staff under separate cover.
Employees who reside in Montgomery County who work outside the county should not report to work. These employees should telecommute, if possible.
Employees who reside outside of Montgomery County, but work in Montgomery County should work remote, if possible.
The Governor’s office is working on a policy to grant additional leave to employees to cover their 10 work-day absence, if not approved to work remotely.
If issued a laptop, please take it home and be prepared to work remotely for this 14-day period. Work files that you may need to do your job should be taken home as well.

District leadership will be supplying a roster of employees who are authorized to work from home during this 14 calendar-day period. Employees not authorized to work from home will be supplied with additional leave to cover the period in which you are directed to not report to work.

I want to thank everyone for their continued cooperation as this critical health event evolves. Please continue to monitor your phones and emails for additional details in the next several days. Important notices may be sent via the CodeRed system as a means of communication or you may receive calls from your supervisor. I encourage each of you to exercise common sense practices to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. These techniques can be found on the PA Department of Health Website.
In other words, Penn Dot will operate as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT