ADVERTISEMENT

All of these gimicks teams have are stupid

walleye38

Jul 29, 2003
Everytime someone makes a tackle , scores a touchdown, or gets a turn over , it seems they have to be rewardeded. I thought when you played football that was the object of the game. Look at me, Look at me, I am a hero seems to be the theme of todays player.

blame this guy, not today's players who never knew it any other way

iu

Everytime someone makes a tackle , scores a touchdown, or gets a turn over , it seems they have to be rewardeded. I thought when you played football that was the object of the game. Look at me, Look at me, I am a hero seems to be the theme of todays player.

Did you get a chance to see the Louisville/Pitt game? I’m not sure which was uglier the pitt uni’s or there celebrations. And Miami is back to their obnoxious self...even though I was impressed with their play on the field.
I think some of these ridiculous celebrations are because of the either no fans or lack there of.

The moment we institute a turnover chain/belt/hat/backpack/sack/wooden post/jacket, I'm done.

I would like to see a "turnover chain" in the sense that a player who turns the ball over has to wear a 50-pound chain and an "I like to give it up" hat around the sideline until the next possession. Public humiliation is a powerful motivator.

Last edited:
It's a product of the times. Different attitudes. I grew up playing for my teammates, my town. Now kids don't even play for what was their local HS anymore. They get recruited by standing out. The college players get air time by having the over the top celebration. Theatrics are part of the game now and encouraged.

Reactions: ralphster
The moment we institute a turnover chain/belt/hat/backpack/sack/wooden post/jacket, I'm done.

I would like to see a "turnover chain" in the sense that a player who turns the ball over has to wear a 50-pound chain and an "I suck" hat around the sideline until the next possession. Public humiliation is a powerful motivator.

The Lawnboys chain says hi...

The Lawnboys chain says hi...

My point is about the total lack of originality. Now everybody is implementing a turnover ________.

I'll admit that I admired Miami's TO chain at first. It had that classic U flair. But now, everybody has it.......and they're getting progressively dumber. Somebody has a turnover wooden post, for example.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
I run a large healthcare organization and have seen the change in people in the last several years that I am sure many of you have seen as well. People, particularly younger people, seem to think we should reward and praise them for merely showing up to work and it goes on from there.

Believe it or not, they’re not for you and they don’t care what you think

Not sure why you watch college football. From your posts on this board, there seems to be nothing you like about it.

Reactions: LionJim

Guess good thing it is for the players and not those who post on message boards then.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
I look forward to these occasional “Get off my lawn!” Threads. Lol. These damn kids and their rock and roll.
I take this as you would fully support PSU players doing choreographed TD celebrations, even when they punch one in and are still down 20 points.

How do you feel about yesterday's players and their "Lookatmeeeeeeeee" helmet stickers, which have been around since at least 1968, perhaps the 1950s?

I run a large healthcare organization and have seen the change in people in the last several years that I am sure many of you have seen as well. People, particularly younger people, seem to think we should reward and praise them for merely showing up to work and it goes on from there.

What a hot take!

Every generation has said the same thing about younger generations since the beginning of time. Your parents said the same about you.

Reactions: Grant Green
Remember when players would be penalized for celebrating? Something as simple as pointing up to a student section in the stadium? It doesn't seem like that long ago. It seems like we've done a 180 by allowing these modern day celebrations.

The OP has a valid point. Was watching Ole Miss / UF on Saturday. Ole Miss runs in a TD to cut the deficit to 19pts and he gets a big gold chain and everyone is celebratory. Getting their a$$ kicked had no bearing whatsoever on the mood. I think it’s valid to argue, does winning still matter to today’s college age players? I’m sure everyone wants to win, but how much do they hate losing?

I might roll my eyes when I see it but it’s for a few seconds and it’s back to the game. It’s supposed to be fun for the players and especially this year you have to provide your own energy. I’m waiting for a Pitt defender to roll his ankle while doing his dunk and being out for the game as a result..

I take this as you would fully support PSU players doing choreographed TD celebrations, even when they punch one in and are still down 20 points.

You seriously made that leap from what I wrote? I guess if it makes d-bags like you go crazy, yes I support it. I coached football for many years. I told my teams every year if you are not here to have fun, go home. That should be the number one reason they are playing. Sorry for guys like you that we have moved on from leather helmets and added the forward pass. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: cjrugger
If I was playing I just wouldn’t participate in that stuff. Others want to do it? Go ahead I guess. I’d be thoroughly embarrassed to take part in that stuff though.

I like them all - the more ridiculous, the better. It's a sport, and sports are supposed to be fun. A turnover chain, or bag of money, or basketball hoop, or whatever else isn't hurting anyone, and the players have fun with it. College football is at its best when it isn't taking itself so seriously. Leave that nonsense for the NFL.

Focus people, we’re 33 posts into this thread and no one has addressed the real issue. Do these celebrations effect the point spread either negatively or positively.

I don't care about the offense doing such things. Everyone on offense wants to score a TD, so giving them a chain, a garbage bag, or a cheerleader afterward is just par for the course. These guys are programmed to go score for the instant reward that comes with it anyway. Making it tangible is just more fun.

However I really dislike this stuff for defenders because it encourages the entire defense to take risks on every play if they see an opportunity for a turnover, which is often counter-productive to the defensive mantra of "three and out."

I'm okay with the trinkets, even if does seem to be a case of ripping off an original idea from Miami. Getting up and boldly making an first down signal or celebrating a tackle when your team is getting blown out late in the game, on the other hand, just seems dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT