ADVERTISEMENT

All knowing board, AC question. Soooo, the company that the home warranty sent out, replaced the condenser, but,

GreggK

Jan 19, 2002
it is an 410a unit. The coil inside is an R22. It worked from may till last friday, and then it stopped. They sent someone out, they filled it up with Freon and then it stopped working again by Sunday.
And the week leading up to it conking out, the condenser outside would start with a very loud noise, not smoothly.

So, I called a reputable company and told me that is insane to replace the condenser and not the coil. He looked in the condenser and said the bottom was covered in oil and he said that the unit is done.
And not only that, it is out of warranty since they did that it that way in the first place.

The original company said they are blowing smoke up my ass and it is just fine. They would send someone out today to do a "leak test". I said fine even though I think it is a waste of time.

Should I give them a shot to fix it, or is their incompetence mean I should RUN to the hills.

BTW, we are currently in contract to sell our house. I don't think it would be fair to have a crap unit there for the next owners.

it is an 410a unit. The coil inside is an R22. It worked from may till last friday, and then it stopped. They sent someone out, they filled it up with Freon and then it stopped working again by Sunday.
And the week leading up to it conking out, the condenser outside would start with a very loud noise, not smoothly.

So, I called a reputable company and told me that is insane to replace the condenser and not the coil. He looked in the condenser and said the bottom was covered in oil and he said that the unit is done.
And not only that, it is out of warranty since they did that it that way in the first place.

The original company said they are blowing smoke up my ass and it is just fine. They would send someone out today to do a "leak test". I said fine even though I think it is a waste of time.

Should I give them a shot to fix it, or is their incompetence mean I should RUN to the hills.

BTW, we are currently in contract to sell our house. I don't think it would be fair to have a crap unit there for the next owners.
Not an expert by any means, but both of my HVAC guys have been family friends that I trust implicitly.

I have had them changed out independently of one another on several occasions.

Caveat: I live 2 blocks from the ocean so corrosion plays a role. If you are changing them less frequently there may be other dynamics in changing both at the same time.

Reactions: GreggK

You are going to need to fix it or there will be an issue when the buyers do a walkthrough the morning of settlement. The ac and heat were the first thing I checked when I did a walkthrough in November. You will need to disclose the issue if not fixed.

On all the other HVAC threads PSUTenn1 and I have said do not mix oils. I suggest new lines and coil and PSUTenn1 says to acid clean the existing system. If they did not do one of these you will have issues. They are difference class of refrigerants.

Reactions: 91Joe95
This below!!!

They put a new outdoor unit with an old R-22 coil. Tje residual oil in the line set and old coil have killed your new compressor. They’re incompatible. It sounds like the compressor in the new outdoor unit is toast. It’s time now to install a new R-410a split system with a new line set.

QUOTE="PSUeng, post: 5623266, member: 74852"]
On all the other HVAC threads PSUTenn1 and I have said do not mix oils. I suggest new lines and coil and PSUTenn1 says to acid clean the existing system. If they did not do one of these you will have issues. They are difference class of refrigerants.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Fac and GreggK
ADVERTISEMENT