ADVERTISEMENT

alabama has high expectations for men's basketball.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
High expectations happen in some places. See the link below. From the article:

"Alabama is in the process of negotiating a buyout with head coach Avery Johnson, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Johnson took over the Crimson Tide in 2015, replacing Anthony Grant after six seasons. He has only been to one NCAA tournament during his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, beating Virginia Tech last season in the first round and finishing 20-16. This season, the Crimson Tide came up short on Selection Sunday and then lost their first NIT game at home to Norfolk State on Wednesday.

Overall, Johnson is 75-62 at Alabama, finishing 34-38 in SEC play."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...27845/sources-bama-negotiating-buyout-johnson

Big dance last year, winning record overall, barely a losing record in conference play. Buyout after four years.

If Chambers had accomplished that in his first four years at Penn State, he would have been given a gold-plated office. They probably would have renamed the BJC after him.

:eek:

"Alabama is in the process of negotiating a buyout with head coach Avery Johnson, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Johnson took over the Crimson Tide in 2015, replacing Anthony Grant after six seasons. He has only been to one NCAA tournament during his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, beating Virginia Tech last season in the first round and finishing 20-16. This season, the Crimson Tide came up short on Selection Sunday and then lost their first NIT game at home to Norfolk State on Wednesday.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...27845/sources-bama-negotiating-buyout-johnson

Big dance last year, winning record overall, barely a losing record in conference play. Buyout after four years.

If Chambers had accomplished that in his first four years at Penn State, he would have been given a gold-plated office. They probably would have renamed the BJC after him.

Vanderbilt has also cut ties with Bryce Drew after three years with three years remaining on his contract. Drew had a horrid winless season in the SEC this year. Drew, however, did take Vandy to the Dance in the 16-17 season.
It's hard to believe these schools don't understand it takes at LEAST a decade to really turn a program around. Especially, at a non basketball school where you can't attract a Coach.

Reactions: krichards

That's because Alabama's AD isn't a dumshit.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
That's because Alabama's AD isn't a dumshit.

Wait. Are you suggesting that Sandy doesn't got this? That's crazy.

All this time I've been giving early, often, and in large sums. Well, it could not have been a waste because Sandy keeps accepting the donations. She hasn't told me she has enough yet and to stop giving.

Vanderbilt has also cut ties with Bryce Drew after three years with three years remaining on his contract. Drew had a horrid winless season in the SEC this year. Drew, however, did take Vandy to the Dance in the 16-17 season.
It's hard to believe these schools don't understand it takes at LEAST a decade to really turn a program around. Especially, at a non basketball school where you can't attract a Coach.

Seriously, what is wrong with these ADs? Sandy obviously knows better. That's why they pay her the big bucks. (I think that's the reason. Maybe it's for some other reason. I don't know. Bottom line, they pay her the big bucks. Good enough for me.)

Reactions: auxgym
Wait. Are you suggesting that Sandy doesn't got this? That's crazy.

All this time I've been giving early, often, and in large sums. Well, it could not have been a waste because Sandy keeps accepting the donations. She hasn't told me she has enough yet and to stop giving.

Somebody has to pay for all of those AADs and onion dip for when the Fat Man stops by so I guess you are.

Somebody has to pay for all of those AADs and onion dip for when the Fat Man stops by so I guess you are.

Good point. They do need their consumables.

Maybe this is what they mean by sustainability -- A sustainable supply of onion dip.

Why sign these coaches to 6-8 year deals if they only get 3-4 to produce?

Buyouts aren't cheap. New coaches aren't either.

Why sign these coaches to 6-8 year deals if they only get 3-4 to produce?

Buyouts aren't cheap. New coaches aren't either.
It's all part of the $ grab that takes place from all directions in modern day college athletics. This goes hand in hand with the NCAA head in sand leadership program.

Bama was paying Avery $2M per, not Chambers money. If we were spending what Alabama is willing to spend on hoops, our expectations would rightfully be higher. But we cant both spend at the bottom of the B1G, AND demand great results. As soon as we're spending more than 13th in the B1G on hoops, I'll be fully on board with the complaining.

Lets think about this Johnson did not have a losing season in 4 years and took them to the postseason all 4 years. Unless Bama hires McMahon from Murray State then i dont know if they are going to find someone better then Johnson for the short term.

Bama was paying Avery $2M per, not Chambers money. If we were spending what Alabama is willing to spend on hoops, our expectations would rightfully be higher. But we cant both spend at the bottom of the B1G, AND demand great results. As soon as we're spending more than 13th in the B1G on hoops, I'll be fully on board with the complaining.

How much is Chambers making?

Alabama is a football school dagumitt. They can’t possibly be good at basketball

You just want to win and are part of our culture problem. Please hate yourself.

Kind of like an expensive restaurant?

So, it sounds like you're saying its OK with you if the Men's BB program makes 6 million a year (for example) and never tries to improve. It's just a money making venture and some cheap entertainment.

Kind of like an expensive restaurant?

So, it sounds like you're saying its OK with you if the Men's BB program makes 6 million a year (for example) and never tries to improve. It's just a money making venture and some cheap entertainment.

I’m not fine with it, I’m just saying if you pay for McDonalds you can’t expect Ruth’s Chris. If you all can convince the school to spend more, I’ll expect more. But that isn’t happening, so we can’t apply the same expectations to Chambers as a $2M/per coach.

Heck, he was making better than 2.5 million per year. That is better than twice what Chambers is making. Losing to Norfolk State in the NIT is the nail that finished him off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT