ADVERTISEMENT

Al Lord Endorses Barb Doran for Re-election to the BOT

bldoran

Dec 28, 2015
From Al Lord:

"The nine incumbent alumni trustees have compelling momentum regarding learning more truth about past decisions made by Louis Freeh in the wake of the Sandusky scandal.

Barbara Doran has been and continues to be a vital part of this heavily-invested alumni-elected trustee team; a team that remains united in its efforts to examine the Freeh Report and to get the board to vote to accept or reject his conclusions about named individuals and Penn State's culture. Barb has been relentless in her efforts to generate real governance reform to get Joe Paterno honored and to include four honorable men in PSU history. I unequivocally support her re-election to the board.

I want Barb with me as we push hard on unfinished business. We have made progress but have considerably more to do, and this is perhaps the most important year to do it. No question, Barb will help us get there, and I want her with me."

From Al Lord:

"The nine incumbent alumni trustees have compelling momentum regarding learning more truth about past decisions made by Louis Freeh in the wake of the Sandusky scandal.

Barbara Doran has been and continues to be a vital part of this heavily-invested alumni-elected trustee team; a team that remains united in its efforts to examine the Freeh Report and to get the board to vote to accept or reject his conclusions about named individuals and Penn State's culture. Barb has been relentless in her efforts to generate real governance reform to get Joe Paterno honored and to include four honorable men in PSU history. I unequivocally support her re-election to the board.

I want Barb with me as we push hard on unfinished business. We have made progress but have considerably more to do, and this is perhaps the most important year to do it. No question, Barb will help us get there, and I want her with me."

Barb, you have done a tremendous job fighting alongside the other Alumni-elected Trustees. Most of us feel we have 4 outstanding candidates for 3 spots this time around. While it looks like Larry has a good chance to unseat one of the three incumbents, my hope is that regardless of who the '4th' candidate is, he or she will stay involved, stay close to what is happening, and will run again in 2017. We need all the talent and fighters we can muster on our side of the battle, and you and the other 3 top choices bring lots and lots of talent and fight. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

From Al Lord:

Hard to believe that Al wrote. Suggests that he doesn't support Bill Oldsey or Ted Brown.

Hard to believe that Al wrote. Suggests that he doesn't support Bill Oldsey or Ted Brown.

Anthony, we are depending on you and the other Alumni Trustees (and Capretto) to be leaders here and make sure there are no fissures that creep in to erode the foundation you have worked so hard to build. Now it needs to be maintained and strengthened. To that end, any internal disagreements need to be truly worked through so that you are sincerely united and showing a solid, unified front to enhance the chances that Harrisburg will see the value of making the necessary changes. Keep fighting the good fight for all of us. Thank you!

Anthony, we are depending on you and the other Alumni Trustees (and Capretto) to be leaders here and make sure there are no fissures that creep in to erode the foundation you have worked so hard to build. Now it needs to be maintained and strengthened. To that end, any internal disagreements need to be truly worked through so that you are sincerely united and showing a solid, unified front to enhance the chances that Harrisburg will see the value of making the necessary changes. Keep fighting the good fight for all of us. Thank you!

I try to lead by example. My priorities are what I do, not what I say.

We have an opportunity to strengthen the team with someone whose skill set is well suited to help us finish the job.

That's why I support Bill Oldsey, Ted Brown and Larry Schultz.

Reactions: Zenophile
From Al Lord:

Barb, I am supporting Larry, Bill and Ted, but this was a very difficult decision for me and I cannot say it was due to any particular failing on your part. You have been an excellent addition to the Board. I simply think Larry will provide a more aggressive representation. That said, should you win re-election, you will have my full support in your efforts to bring about the change we need.

Sorry, I am voting for Larry Schultz. He is an accomplished litigator with years of relevant experience. We need that kind of person on the BOT to fight the status quo. Larry won't be afraid to take on the Keith Masser's of the world either. He's not going to be intimidated by the big stage. It's time to rip it down and rebuild the right way and Larry is the perfect candidate to do that.

Reactions: step.eng69
Yikes!!! The BWI message board is NOT the appropriate forum for currently-elected alumni Trustees to nominate, promote or debate their personal endorsements for the upcoming elections ....or their disappointment with the contrary opinions of their contemporaries (especially you Anthony).

Do this dirty washing in private, direct conversations with each other....else you all lose credibility..

Take the "high road"....and it isn't found on this or any other board.

I can't believe I'm acting like the "adult"....it's so unlike me.:)

Last edited:
Yikes....the BWI message board is NOT the appropriate forum for currently-elected alumni Trustees to nominate, promote or debate their personal endorsements for the upcoming elections ....or their disappointment with the contrary opinions of their contemporaries (especially you Anthony).

Do this dirty washing in private, direct conversations with each other....else you all lose credibility..

I've been trying to verbalize my thoughts on this subject, but you have said it better than I could.

Yikes!!! The BWI message board is NOT the appropriate forum for currently-elected alumni Trustees to nominate, promote or debate their personal endorsements for the upcoming elections ....or their disappointment with the contrary opinions of their contemporaries (especially you Anthony).

I'm a bit surprised by it but I don't have a problem with it. For too long there has been a lack of transparency on the BOT. This is a refreshing change. Politicians support different candidates in primaries and then come together for the general election, and afterward. I would hope the same will happen here. I think this shows our strength, not our weakness.

Don't you all have each other's numbers by now? Get it together alum trustees. We need a united front

A lot of very powerful people read this board. Good or bad BWI McAndrew has become ground zero for the cause.

I'm a bit surprised by it but I don't have a problem with it. For too long there has been a lack of transparency on the BOT. This is a refreshing change. Politicians support different candidates in primaries and then come together for the general election, and afterward. I would hope the same will happen here. I think this shows our strength, not our weakness.

I tend to agree. The strongest communities are those which can explore their most basic disagreements without fracturing the trust which is essential to functioning. I believe that respectful disagreement is an essential building block of the best decision making. Public disagreement is fine so long as it does not shade into disrespect or abuse. By contrast, the very worst decision making is marked by secrecy and apparent unanimity, as displayed by the PSU BoT in Nov. 2011. They were awfully confident that they absolutely had to make each and every one of those choices they made which were so disastrous.

The interpretation of the rules of the BoT at the time, as I recall, required the trustees to pretend as though every decision were unanimous. What a terrible way to make decisions--the illusion of consensus in the face of a few people making decisions nobody else even knows about. We accepted the Freeh Report and the Consent Decree without review or a vote by the board. I would rather they argued publicly about it on Twitter and in bars than not at all.

One thing which makes this and facebook BETTER forums for the expression of such differences than, say, the media, is there is no filter here. I would rather read what the person typed him or herself than some reporter's interpretation of it.

The nature of this election also compels this sort of thing. It is an ONLINE election--little face-to-face campaigning, no literature drops or radio ads or massive rallies or debates--the one town hall event was attended by about 20 people other than the candidates, and produced an hour and fifty minute long video that most people did not watch in its entirety. This is just a case of the candidates and their supporters going where the votes are.

Anthony Lubrano has been coming here and reporting to us for a long time. That counts for something. The others, not so much. It is just another factor to weigh in the argument.

As a result of my online presence I have received a ton of inquiries from people I do not know regarding my positions on things having to do with this election. I try to answer them all.

If you think my posting on this topic impugnes my credibility, so be it. I'm not doing so to be petulant. I'm doing so because I need assistance.

Over the past four years, I have unapologetically carried the ball for the Penn State community. I'm at the point where I need some help. That is why I support Oldsey, Brown and Schultz.
Larry has a particular set of skills that will benefit all of us in this fight.

Frankly, in some respects all of you are like family. As with any family, we have disagreements. But I'm just not going to pretend. That would be a waste of all of our time. And time is the one precious commodity that is limited for us all.

From Al Lord:

Pretty low brow for a Board member to promote oneself using an endorsement from someone who ripped off millions of students while at Sallie Mae, illegally disguised a $1M campaign contribution as a loan much of which was paid back from Sallie Mae grant funds given to the loanee, and judging by his statement is still fixated on having an up or down vote on the validity of a report that was issued almost four years ago.

how is this any different from posting on facebook or publishing a letter to the editor?

Pretty low brow for a Board member to promote oneself using an endorsement from someone who ripped off millions of students while at Sallie Mae, illegally disguised a $1M campaign contribution as a loan much of which was paid back from Sallie Mae grant funds given to the loanee, and judging by his statement is still fixated on having an up or down vote on the validity of a report that was issued almost four years ago.
LOL......He's baaaaaack.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, live - on our board. Fresh from his Standing-Room-Only appearance in the Bunker Room of the Jasna Polana.
Your friend!....My friend!....The one!....The only!......Give a warm BWI Board welcome to - - - - - - CR66!!!!!!!!"

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Interesting perspective. Do you also believe that a couple of years ago the Upward State BOT candidates should have declined the endorsement of Paul "Coach" Silvis, a narcissistic man who has been sued for abusiveness toward employees, a man who has been disrespectful to a Penn State professor emeritus, and a man who owes his BOT seat not to any business acumen or competence but to his massive campaign contributions to Jake the Snake?

Interesting perspective. Do you also believe that a couple of years ago the Upward State BOT candidates should have declined the endorsement of Paul "Coach" Silvis, a narcissistic man who has been sued for abusiveness toward employees, a man who has been disrespectful to a Penn State professor emeritus, and a man who owes his BOT seat not to any business acumen or competence but to his massive campaign contributions to Jake the Snake?

Yeah probably but did they go out and trumpet his endorsement on their own? For that matter, if I were Dem, I'm not sure I'd be trumpeting the endorsement of someone who held himself out to be a PSU varsity baseball player when he wasn't and didn't think it his job to correct the baseball media guide showing him as a 4 year letterman, being discourteous to female employees in the athletic department, belligerent toward Freeh investigators, and deliberately rude to board members.

I'm inclined to agree but as noted above, it's nice to also get some transparency and communication from those we have elected to represent us. That said, all of these endorsements are great but the one that matters hasn't been announced. PS4RS will decide who wins the election, regardless of who else endorses whom.

Yeah probably but did they go out and trumpet his endorsement on their own? For that matter, if I were Dem, I'm not sure I'd be trumpeting the endorsement of someone who held himself out to be a PSU varsity baseball player when he wasn't and didn't think it his job to correct the baseball media guide showing him as a 4 year letterman, being discourteous to female employees in the athletic department, belligerent toward Freeh investigators, and deliberately rude to board members.
You tell 'em, CR! And you neglected to mention those rumors of his atrocious penmanship.
1310483412100.jpg

. PS4RS will decide who wins the election, regardless of who else endorses whom.

And THAT will be determined by the votes of those who choose to participate (gee, what a novel concept :) ).

I hope you will choose to have your voice heard (and your vote recorded)

You had to go there. Lubrano is gonna put a world of hurt on you son. Why must you persist with these lies? All lies!

You've been reading from the fiction archives again. Time to get your facts straight.

With respect to the Freeh investigators, I learned that your friends orchestrated that lie. In fact, I received a package sent anonymously that contained the entire email string. Wouldn't you know it, Ken Frazier along with Omar McNeil were behind this untruth.

Not surprisingly, Dave Joyner was involved in fostering the false narrative that I was discourteous to female employees in the athletic department. Of course, those were anonymous sources.

This was a smear that backfired. Your Old Guard friends were poorly advised by Lanny Davis.

As to my treatment of Board members, I give no quarter. I have called out those whose behavior needed exposure. Paul Silvis comes to mind.

You've been reading from the fiction archives again. Time to get your facts straight.

With respect to the Freeh investigators, I learned that your friends orchestrated that lie. In fact, I received a package sent anonymously that contained the entire email string. Wouldn't you know it, Ken Frazier along with Omar McNeil were behind this untruth.

Not surprisingly, Dave Joyner was involved in fostering the false narrative that I was discourteous to female employees in the athletic department. Of course, those were anonymous sources.

This was a smear that backfired. Your Old Guard friends were poorly advised by Lanny Davis.

As to my treatment of Board members, I give no quarter. I have called out those whose behavior needed exposure. Paul Silvis comes to mind.
Is it just me, or do these sound like the tactics of decent people who can be trusted to engage in good faith negotiations?

(And where is the sarcasm font button?)

Is it just me, or do these sound like the tactics of decent people who can be trusted to engage in good faith negotiations?

(And where is the sarcasm font button?)
No kidding. And people want to "move on" while some of these people still govern the university and those that left have not been held accountable? I don't think so. I've said it a million times, this isn't about football or Paterno for me. The system in place to protect children in PA broke down. Those accountable for that breakdown haven't been identified because we all know that breakdown wasn't caused by Penn State football. PSU's leadership failed by pinning this on football and taking the fall. By "moving on" we've done nothing to prevent a repeat occurrence,PA children are at risk of a similar issue in the future. PSU is still run by "leaders" that are unfit to do so. Until this is corrected, this issue is worth fighting. The impact to PSU football and Paterno is secondary. Find the truth, hold the right people accountable, improve the child protection processes and let the rest of the chips regarding football and Paterno fall where they may.

And THAT will be determined by the votes of those who choose to participate (gee, what a novel concept :) ).

I hope you will choose to have your voice heard (and your vote recorded)
Of course I will, but the PS4RS process allows us to choose from 4 people, unless I missed something. So they have narrowed the field to 4 on their own. Regardless of who they endorse, I vote for who I choose. In many cases that doesn't match up with their endorsements. Unfortunately most of PS4RS just votes for whomever the group tells them to and doesn't think for themselves.

Of course I will, but the PS4RS process allows us to choose from 4 people, unless I missed something. So they have narrowed the field to 4 on their own. Regardless of who they endorse, I vote for who I choose. In many cases that doesn't match up with their endorsements. Unfortunately most of PS4RS just votes for whomever the group tells them to and doesn't think for themselves.
Those were the only folks who submitted nominations (actually, they- PS4RS - had also included Bowsher in the Town Hall - - - but since he didn't get the # of nominations to be included in the General Election, it woulda' been kinda' silly to continue to include him....right??)

The field was "narrowed" by the fact that no one else gathered nominations (which is a PSU imposed number and process.....NOT PS4RS)

No one who asked to be INCLUDED was EXCLUDED. TTBOMK

I'm not sure I like Ryan's implication in the last sentence. Is that a shot at Larry? Barb has been a trustee, Larry hasn't. Let's not judge Larry until he gets his chance as a trustee.
I think Ryan's reference was to Ted Brown....but you could ask him to be certain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT