ADVERTISEMENT

Akron 61KG

LemonPie

Jan 2, 2016
RBY might be the only PSU wrestler competing. Unless I've missed them, not even depth guys are going. What a strange summer.

Should be a great test for RBY. About 75 wrestlers registered

Notable wrestlers:

Vito Arujau
Tariq Wilson
Luke Pletcher
Sean Fausz
Nick Piccininni
Micky Phillippi
Dalton Macri
Chas Tucker

RBY might be the only PSU wrestler competing. Unless I've missed them, not even depth guys are going. What a strange summer.

Should be a great test for RBY. About 75 wrestlers registered

Notable wrestlers:

Vito Arujau
Tariq Wilson
Luke Pletcher
Sean Fausz
Nick Piccininni
Micky Phillippi
Dalton Macri
Chas Tucker
You didn't deliberately try to post names that are difficult to pronounce, did you? :)

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I saw Kaid Brock is at 65kg (143lb) along with Piccininni at 61kg (134lb). Kind of supports the OkSt lineup being Fix 125, Picc 133, Brock 141, as many suspected.

This^^^^^biggest news of all out of Akron

Kaid Brock did wrestle 65kg last summer as well, but yeah you have to think he will be 141.

Also, Jack Mueller back down to 57kg.

RBY has a pretty favorable draw to the quarterfinals. Would likely see Fausz there. Looking at Christopher Sandoval (Northern Colorado) as his toughest matchup in the meantime

Last edited:
^ missed that. Thanks.

RBY with a 12-2 tech over Drew West in the first period. West had a well credentialed hs career in Iowa but struggled somewhat his redshirt year in college.

12-2 TF in 1st period over Drew West - UNI recruit I think?

Wow, RBY is lightning quick. Outside single, shuck, ankle pick all executed in a blink. Even the TD West got was RBY's movement going right by him and he fell in West's lap. Excited to watch him against the older guys. Not much competition in that one, but you can really see what he's working with.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
12-2 TF in 1st period over Drew West - UNI recruit I think?
Not that I'm aware of. For one, UNI guys don't get spanked like that.

Must be someone else.

Self edit: Looks like he's at Northern Illinois (NIU). Hence, the mistake.

Last edited:
Starocci didn't look great. His opponent was tough, but maybe I've been a little too high on him. Interesting to see how he does moving forward in this bracket.

I will say that the matches are 4 minutes, the referee (Ron Paul) was stopping the action every 5 seconds in the first period, and Carter only gave up a crotch lift and weak stepout.

Last edited:
Starocci didn't look great Opponent is tough, but maybe I've been a little too high on him. Interesting to see how he does moving forward in this bracket.

I wasn't overwhelmed by him at PIAAs this year. Looks like a grind out close wins kind of wrestler.

RBY 13-2 TF and moves on. Noticeably smaller than Perales. Perales is either waay big for 61 or RBY will have no trouble with 133 next year at all.

His first TD in the 2nd period - flip when opponent had his leg in air without exposing into a head under position - was a WOW.

Reactions: kevin310 and Grass
Good Lord. RBY is an A+ athlete. Doesn't look completely comfortable in ties right now, but that will get worked out.
I agree. Ties/handfighting with a stronger opponent gave him some trouble in the 1st, but he adjusted and honestly it's to be expected for an 18/19 yo.

RBY 13-2 TF and moves on. Noticeably smaller than Perales. Perales is either waay big for 61 or RBY will have no trouble with 133 next year at all.

His first TD in the 2nd period - flip when opponent had his leg in air without exposing into a head under position - was a WOW.

Interestingly enough, according to his trackwrestling profile, that guy wrestled 125 this year.

Good Lord. RBY is an A+ athlete. Doesn't look completely comfortable in ties right now, but that will get worked out.
Pish posh! Who needs flashy athleticism. Give me solid hand-fighting and positioning and I’ll mold him into a champion ;)

acrETH1.gif

Wrestling a square-stanced Manville is probably very frustrating, but I'm sure Davenport will be much better than Carson in the long run.

Reactions: PA Power
Wooo!!!! Starocci over Kennedy 4-3. Snaps for days. The Hawks can have the guy who has been the same weight since he was a bearded 9th grader.

For those who don't know, Kennedy is basically an Iowa lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Thought Starocci looked great in the Kennedy match. Kennedy is a beast and Starocci beat him at his own game. Carter doesn’t have a ton of offense yet but he handfights like a college kid, is super athletic, and is very solid defensively. His snaps on Kennedy were unreal. The first one I thought almost broke Kennedy’s nose he hit his face on the mat so hard. I think he would be the perfect kid to come in after Marky and hold down 174. Having him, Brooks, Beard ( or Ferrari, yes I’m still hoping he comes into the mix), and Snacks at the backend of the lineup sounds pretty nice.

I’m from Colorado so I follow their kids pretty close. Check out Dominic Serrano. Tough kid but at a super tough weight with Howard, Mastro, and Tagg. One of the most fun matches I saw all day was Serrano vs Maximo Renteria who is a freshman state champ from Cali. Renteria is is insanely quick and talented.

Thought Starocci looked great in the Kennedy match. Kennedy is a beast and Starocci beat him at his own game. Carter doesn’t have a ton of offense yet but he handfights like a college kid, is super athletic, and is very solid defensively. His snaps on Kennedy were unreal. The first one I thought almost broke Kennedy’s nose he hit his face on the mat so hard. I think he would be the perfect kid to come in after Marky and hold down 174. Having him, Brooks, Beard ( or Ferrari, yes I’m still hoping he comes into the mix), and Snacks at the backend of the lineup sounds pretty nice.

I’m from Colorado so I follow their kids pretty close. Check out Dominic Serrano. Tough kid but at a super tough weight with Howard, Mastro, and Tagg. One of the most fun matches I saw all day was Serrano vs Maximo Renteria who is a freshman state champ from Cali. Renteria is is insanely quick and talented.

What part of Colorado zzs , I am moving there in July. My wife took a job there, I'm looking forward to something new , new adventures.

So what is your take b4 they start their engines?

I don't know. Both guys wrestled a little sloppy at times yesterday. Both have plenty of FS experience. I'm not entirely too familiar with either guy at this point, but like what I've seen from both in limited action.

I definitely think RBY is capable. But I guess if I have to pick, I'll take Fausz in an entertaining match. I do think he'll get to RBY's legs and be the type to finish a few times. +2KG helps. Fausz 11-8

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT