ADVERTISEMENT

AKB-visit to Gettysburg

GrTexan1

Aug 16, 2018
Will be soon visiting Gettysburg. Will be driving in from the West using the Ohio Turnpike and the PA turnpike and then US 30.

Are there any recommended historic (particularly Civil War related) sights in PA along or near the travel route?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Will be soon visiting Gettysburg. Will be driving in from the West using the Ohio Turnpike and the PA turnpike and then US 30.

Are there any recommended historic (particularly Civil War related) sights in PA along or near the travel route?

Thanks in advance.
Flight 93 Memorial near Somerset PA.

Thanks in advance.
Antietam isn't very far from Gettysburg. Well worth the trip if you are interested in Civil War Battlefields. Bloodiest day in the Civil War.

Civil War Museum in Harrisburg.

EDIT: I grabbed this from a recent thread about Gettysburg.

For those that haven't been to Gettysburg I'd recommend the Value Package which gives you the Museum, Film, Cyclorama, and a Bus Tour of the Battlefield. Best times to visit are weekdays, and the best months are September, October, and early November, but any weekday that it's not too hot or cold will do just fine.

Gettysburg Bus Tour Value Package | Gettysburg Foundation

Make the most of your Gettysburg visit. Package the Film, Cyclorama and Museum with a battlefield bus tour for one memorable Gettysburg experience.
www.gettysburgfoundation.org
www.gettysburgfoundation.org

If you have children along I'd probably pick something like the Lincoln Diner but if older children and adults I'd pick the Springhouse Tavern at the Dobbin House. The Dobbin House was part of the underground railroad so you'll get a bit of history touring around the property.

Last edited:
In Gettysburg. No trip is complete without

US 30 at Breezewood is a good route for scenery and a few small towns you may want to kick around in. Those towns a little closer to Gettysburg have more civil war history associated with them. You can also look into mr Ed’s elephant museum.

Get an individual tour guide. I believe you can get one through the museum. They will drive your car and do a great job of explaining the battle. Very knowledgeable.

Catoctin National Park is just down the road in Thurmont Md. Great hiking trails (one of which I believe has a far off view of Camp David) and a great rustic cabin experience at Camp Misty Mount (CCC cabins with no electricity but with a bath house and pool.)

Thanks in advance.
We’ll, if you continue east you’ll have Lancaster County with the Amish a little over 1 hr from Gettysburg. The Philly area has a ton of history and is about 2.5 hrs east of Gettysburg.

In western PA you have Fallingwater (Mill Run, PA) and Kentuck Knob (Dunbar, PA) if you’re a Frank Lloyd Wright or architecture fan. They are only 7 miles apart and both can be seen in 1 day.

There’s Fort Ligonier (Ligonier, PA)- a reconstruction of the fort from the 1750s from the French and Indian War time. Fort Necessity, also from that time, is in Farmington, PA.

Bushy Run Battlefield reenactment (Harrison City, PA) Aug 6-8 of the 258th anniversary of the battle from Pontiac’s War.

Ohiopyle state park, including white water rafting.

1. When approaching from 30, at the intersection of knoxlyn road, dtop briefly to get a pic of the first shot fired monument. Easy to miss

2. Consider a short detour to arendtsville round barn. Apple country and a winery across the street.

3. Emmitsburg is a cute town with the seton shrine if you are into that.

Antietam isn't very far from Gettysburg. Well worth the trip if you are interested in Civil War Battlefields. Bloodiest day in the Civil War.
This. Sharpsburg, MD is beautiful. If you end up hitting Antietam, I’d recommend swinging down to Shepherdstown, WV (15 minutes away). Shepherdstown is a really cool little town on the Potomac River with nice shops and restaurant options.

US 30 at Breezewood is a good route for scenery and a few small towns you may want to kick around in. Those towns a little closer to Gettysburg have more civil war history associated with them. You can also look into mr Ed’s elephant museum.
RIP Mr. Ed. The museum lives on though

No major civil war sites, but Fairfield Gap has a small battlefield park and is a beautiful area just southwest of town where Confederate wagon train was attacked by calvary as they returned to VA after getting whipped. As mentioned Chambersburg was burned and raided and a Confederate camp. Take the ride through Cashtown and stop at the hotel where Lee met AP Hill on the morning of the 1st day to ask "who's cannon is that I hear ahead." Then continue up the pike to the first shot marker as mentioned. Antietam is not far, but just like the battle requires atleast a full day, but is worth it. Get a guide for Gettysburg and if you are into it, you'll need way more than a day. The battlefield covers an extensive area and there was a lot going on all over the place.

Thanks in advance.
Bring lots of coin for the PA Turnpike......... ridiculously expensive road to use.....most efficient way to get to Gettysburg, but the State of PA will charge you for it.

Want a good meal in Gettysburg -- Dobbin House.
Very good, not spectacular food. But if you eat downstairs, it’s like eating in the Civil War era. All lighting is from candles and the servers all dress in CW era clothing. Plus go out the back door and see the Underground Railroad museum. Apparently the building was part of it.

Reactions: Fac
Flight 93 Memorial near Somerset PA.
I recommend this. We went for a short getaway to the Omni Bedford Springs and decided to see the Flight 93 Memorial. We didn't expect much but it is very well done. I would allow 2 hours.

Bring lots of coin for the PA Turnpike......... ridiculously expensive road to use.....most efficient way to get to Gettysburg, but the State of PA will charge you for it.
PA tolls are ridiculous. Better have an EZPass. Otherwise the tolls will be double.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
PA tolls are ridiculous. Better have an EZPass. Otherwise the tolls will be double.
Tolls are ridiculous; yes double cost with EZPass. If don't have EZPass, picture of license plate will be taken and you will receive a bill in the mail.

In western PA you have Fallingwater (Mill Run, PA) and Kentuck Knob (Dunbar, PA) if you’re a Frank Lloyd Wright or architecture fan. They are only 7 miles apart and both can be seen in 1 day.
Is the Nemacolin Resort worth the hefty price tag?

If you head to Antietam (Sharpsburg, MD) stop by Nutters for some icecream (largest scoops outside State College, PA), and along the way stop in Frederick, MD at the Civil War Medicine Museum.

Let’s be real about the PA turnpike and measure it on equal terms and not just what it cost to drive the entire distance of 350 miles. It averages 11 cpm with an ez-pass and 22 cpm without. It is the miles that add up. Ever go across the Tapanzee or through the Holland tunnel? The PA tpk isn’t cheap but it is comparable to most other toll roads on a per mile basis.

Reactions: psu1969a
The best tour guide I've had in the life was on a bus tour at Gettysburg. However, weekends will be crowded and the bus tours can be a mess when crowded.

My understanding is the PA turnpike is now cash free ... they charge you through EZPASS or take a photo of your license and send you a bill. EZPASS is much, much cheaper.

Reactions: psu00
My understanding is the PA turnpike is now cash free ... they charge you through EZPASS or take a photo of your license and send you a bill. EZPASS is much, much cheaper.
Let me ask, why would the state of WV share that information with the state of PA?

Let me ask, why would the state of WV share that information with the state of PA?

? WV? What does WV have to do with this post? I'm from MD and just happen to be someone who has to use the PA Turnpike quite often.

? WV? What does WV have to do with this post? I'm from MD and just happen to be someone who has to use the PA Turnpike quite often.
Same thing applies. If you don’t have an E Z pass and they take a picture of your license. So unless MD or WV shares your information w Pa. how would they (PA) get it to send you a bill??

When you get to Gburg, suggest you start at the Visitor's Center - much to see/learn there. If you don't choose a guided tour, also would suggest you buy "The Gettysburg Battlefield Auto Tour Story" which is a 3 CD booklet (around $30 last I knew) which you use in your car and it takes you through the 3 days of the battle, Day one starts very near the visitors center and the CD's guide you through all three days of the battle and you can stop and see all the monuments as it covers what transpired in that particular area. You can easily split the days into 3 separate days if desired - easy to stop and start the tour as would fit your visit. I was born/raised near Gburg and honestly learned more via this CD set than I was ever told in the dozens of times I visited the hallowed grounds. Hope you have a great visit...

Reactions: LionJim and Fac
Something I did not know, during Pickett’s charge when the southern soldiers hit the high water mark, they didn’t turn and run. They walked backwards. They didn’t want their families to know they were shot in the back retreating

There are many different compacts and reciprocal agreements among almost all of the lower 48 when it comes to DMV and transportation entities. There are a scant few states that don't participate but I forget which at the moment. Same applies to CDL endorsements and fuel tax stickers and so forth.

Reactions: sluggo72
You should watch the American Battlefield Trust videos of the battle of Gettysburg on Youtube. They run a series each year from July 1 - July 4.

ADVERTISEMENT