ADVERTISEMENT

AKB - Tore my knee meniscus playing tennis ...

This past winter I played quite a bit of indoor tennis, both clay and hard court, and in the middle of the season I stretched for a ball and tweeked something in my knee. I was able to continue playing thru the season but my knee got progressively more sore as I played. Had an MRI done and it shows that I've got an acute torn medial meniscus. Surgeon says it's straightforward to remove the tear (unlikely able to be repaired) and that it would be a few weeks of recovery given the atrophied state of my right knee. Has anyone had arthroscopic knee surgery to remove cartilage and were you able to get back to an active lifestyle. I'm 55 and am in the gym at least 5 days a week and getting on the treadmill most of those days. I'd like to get back to at least doing some of that.
Healing time depends on the size of the tear and where the tear is located. Can be painful before surgery because a tear can create a flap or fold so the meniscus doesn’t lay flat. Recovery post surgery depends on how much is cut. It varies for every tear unlike an ACL which is the same operation for everyone except for what us used for the new ACL.

I’ve had both knees with torn meniscus. They can continue to tear if not fixed.

the surgeon will cut the tear and should rotor around the meniscus to create a thicker edge so additional tears are harder to happen. He’ll also scope the knee and scrape out any arthritis while he’s in there.

recovery time is different for each procedure.

This past winter I played quite a bit of indoor tennis, both clay and hard court, and in the middle of the season I stretched for a ball and tweeked something in my knee. I was able to continue playing thru the season but my knee got progressively more sore as I played. Had an MRI done and it shows that I've got an acute torn medial meniscus. Surgeon says it's straightforward to remove the tear (unlikely able to be repaired) and that it would be a few weeks of recovery given the atrophied state of my right knee. Has anyone had arthroscopic knee surgery to remove cartilage and were you able to get back to an active lifestyle. I'm 55 and am in the gym at least 5 days a week and getting on the treadmill most of those days. I'd like to get back to at least doing some of that.
I tore my meniscus ziplining. Hurt like hell. I had arthroscopic surgery and it's like new. It did take a while to heal, but I was in my mid-60's at the time.

Every visit with the Ortho they ask if it is clicking or locking. It hadn't been but it is starting feel like ligament/muscle is sliding over each other and hesitation now.
My right knee clicks all the time in the right side. What does that mean. I have issues with it but haven’t seen a doctor.

Sounds like it’s a small tear. Does it lock when you stand up and try to pivot?
Funny you say that it does feels like It is hyper extending and i have to stop because it locks up.now I just went skiing and no issues but when walking it does that.

My right knee clicks all the time in the right side. What does that mean. I have issues with it but haven’t seen a doctor.
You have some sort of damage to your cartridge that is inhibiting “smooth movement” of the joint. It may have been an old tear that healed with scar tissue, an actual tear of some sort or an abraded surface. In any event it pays to get checked out. Loose bodies/rough surfaces can cause significant wear to the cartridge and accelerate degradation. I get checked every few years and almost every time I go in for a cleanup! Unfortunately at this point I’m pretty much out of material to clean up, but left untreated you can cause more damage and “wear and tear”. The surgeon can smooth the surface of the cartilage.

Reactions: RochLion
Tore lateral meniscus back in early 60's while in college (PSU). No arthroscopy available then. Elected to do nothing, was told I would develop arthritis, which has happened. Occasional sharp twinges 60 years later. The only thing unique as I approach 80 is that I tell people my athletic career is over.

My wife is headed for this, possibly this fall. I hope her experience is like yours. This has been an annually more difficult problem for close to 10 years to the point that she can't take a walk anymore or stand very long. She can no longer find a position that reduces the pain. It's time to take action. A surgeon discussed it with her a month ago and he suggested having an MRI to see more accurately what her condition is. He did say she has bone spurs, arthritis and a potential tear of the miniscus with other sundry issues from an x-ray.

Why? The wear are tear from a torn meniscus is far worse than getting the damage removed.

I’ve had my knees cleaned out 6 times (4 on the left 2 on the right). You will be walking the next day. The surgery is over in 30 minutes. Rehab is quick as they are simply removing damaged tissue rather than restructuring.
from my experience the comment from diontechristmas is best case scenario. I have had 4 meniscus cleanups..... and it always took a couple of weeks where I was walking without a cane or crutches and a couple of months before I was back to pre surgery pain levels...... and every subsequent surgery, the healing took longer.....probably due to the continued reduction in meniscus.....and my increasing age.

ADVERTISEMENT