ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Thoughts on new mid-size SUV?

Yep, but it had to be said. When it comes to a family with young children nothing beats a minivan, and it's not really close.
That in mind, I'm really intrigued by the new Kia Carnival. If they put AWD on it, it wouldn't even be a decision.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Some discussion on here regarding KIAs.... anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Tellurides? It has 3 seat rows, but listed as an SUV. Looks to be a little bigger than the average SUV on the road.
Thanks.

I’ll second the recommendation on the Acura. Both the RDX and MDX are good cars but they’re designed more towards performance than luxury. Our RDX is the smaller of the two but still very spacious. I think it has about 270 HP. I’m not crazy about the touch screen but overall it has plenty of technology - adaptive cruise control, lane warning assist, air conditioned seats, etc. My wife really loves it but overall I prefer my E class sedan.

My GF has a 2013 RDX and it feels like a much newer vehicle. It has luxury a drives like a dream. It's a fantastic vehicle.

A six year old vehicle with 112K miles that isn't worth driving anymore? Why does anyone even buy Range Rovers if this is the case? This sounds like a TERRIBLE value.

Owning a Range Rover out of warranty is nuts and no one buys range rovers for the value. Buying a second one after owning the first is borderline masochistic.

Reactions: RedBankerEngr
Our trusty but overworked 2015 Range Rover Sport is at about 117,000 miles and starting to need more upkeep and maintenance than I’m willing to invest. We love the car - and it has all the upgrades - but the cost to keep it in tip top shape is probably as much as a down payment on something new. And we have a good bit of vacation traveling coming up so reliability is a big concern given the wear and tear on our current vehicle.

My top choices (wanting a balance of luxury, performance, maintenance, safety, etc.) are the Mercedes Benz GLE and the Volvo XC90. My FIL has a MB and loves it - says the service is top notch and he loves the performance. We like the safety track record of Volvo but no experience with them. Any others to consider? Any thoughts on these two? Thanks in advance
Of your two choices, I’d opt for the GLE but with caveats. The GLE’s come either in the 350 version which has an inline turbocharged 4 cylinder engine which I would avoid, especially for highway driving. IMHO it just doesn’t have sufficient power for critical acceleration. If you decide to go with the GLE you should spend $5000 more for the 450 version which is a turbocharged inline 6 cylinder engine. Both the 350 and 450 require premium gasoline.

You seem to favor euro vehicles, but when it comes to SUVs, I’d seriously consider a loaded Chevy Tahoe or equivalent GMC/Cadillac. They come with reliable and proven power trains (V8 engines married to silky smooth transmissions) and run on regular gasoline.

My Tahoe is at 125,000 miles and runs as good now as it did new. Last week I drove 24 hours over 2 days and loved how that vehicle runs on the highway. Incredibly smooth riding, powerful and reliable. I regularly change the oil and I switch out all other fluids every 40k -50k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter2
We've got the same (might be a 2011 model) but with less mileage. Have only had to replace brakes and struts. I'll also add that the 6 cyl. 3.3 ltr engine has quite pep to it. The only odd thing we've found with it is occasionally when it's started the engine will race for a while when parked. Doesn't seem to have had any impact over 8 yrs we've had it.
We just bought a 2018 Genesis G90 with the 3.3 twin turbo and it certainly does have pep. I recalled all the cars we have owned over the years an this engine is the 2nd smallest in size of them all with near twice the HP and Torq. I have heard that direct injection can accumulate crud on the valves over time and am considering an oil catch can install to remove some of the recycled crud but it concerns me, a valve job would be a killer $$$$ on this unit.

326947_2018_Alfa_Romeo_Stelvio.jpg
Cool car but totally unreliable

Reactions: RedBankerEngr
Of your two choices, I’d opt for the GLE but with caveats. The GLE’s come either in the 350 version which has an inline turbocharged 4 cylinder engine which I would avoid, especially for highway driving. IMHO it just doesn’t have sufficient power for critical acceleration. If you decide to go with the GLE you should spend $5000 more for the 450 version which is a turbocharged inline 6 cylinder engine. Both the 350 and 450 require premium gasoline.

You seem to favor euro vehicles, but when it comes to SUVs, I’d seriously consider a loaded Chevy Tahoe or equivalent GMC/Cadillac. They come with reliable and proven power trains (V8 engines married to silky smooth transmissions) and run on regular gasoline.

My Tahoe is at 125,000 miles and runs as good now as it did new. Last week I drove 24 hours over 2 days and loved how that vehicle runs on the highway. Incredibly smooth riding, powerful and reliable. I regularly change the oil and I switch out all other fluids every 40k -50k.

According to GM owner's manuals, 93 octane fuel is "highly recommended" for the 6.2L engine for best performance and fuel economy, I think it's been that way for a few years. While that's not a hard requirement, that language might make me hesitate to buy a GM with a 6.2L. I've owned the current generation 5.3L (with a 6sp transmission) and believe that it's underpowered for my preference.

According to GM owner's manuals, 93 octane fuel is "highly recommended" for the 6.2L engine for best performance and fuel economy, I think it's been that way for a few years. While that's not a hard requirement, that language might make me hesitate to buy a GM with a 6.2L. I've owned the current generation 5.3L (with a 6sp transmission) and believe that it's underpowered for my preference.
The 5.3L V-8 represents 95%+ of GM’s sales in their truck and SUV sales. Why you would resort to referencing a rare, special order engine reflects your usual disingenuity.

355 HP and 383 lb-ft of torque aren’t enough for you? What do you do for a living, haul livestock? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
…I’ll just chime in here with a vote for the Honda Odyssey…I purchased ours new in 2003 which means it’s now 18 years old and has rung up 304,000 miles … change oil only every 5,000 miles… when I bought it my mechanic said, “You’ll get 300,000 out of this van”… and he was right…. only major repair has been the alternator - at 250,000 miles… has logged many round trips to Pittsburgh (600 miles) and State College (350 miles) over those years…along with jaunts to Oklahoma City (NCAA wrestling) and Florida and Louisiana for bowl games and has never let me down… just returned today from a week in Chautauqua - round trip about 800 miles - with nary a squeak… good luck… :)

…I’ll just chime in here with a vote for the Honda Odyssey…I purchased ours new in 2003 which means it’s now 18 years old and has rung up 304,000 miles … change oil only every 5,000 miles… when I bought it my mechanic said, “You’ll get 300,000 out of this van”… and he was right…. only major repair has been the alternator - at 250,000 miles… has logged many round trips to Pittsburgh (600 miles) and State College (350 miles) over those years…along with jaunts to Oklahoma City (NCAA wrestling) and Florida and Louisiana for bowl games and has never let me down… just returned today from a week in Chautauqua - round trip about 800 miles - with nary a squeak… good luck… :)

o_O

The 5.3L V-8 represents 95%+ of GM’s sales in their truck and SUV sales. Why you would resort to referencing a rare, special order engine reflects your usual disingenuity.

355 HP and 383 lb-ft of torque aren’t enough for you? What do you do for a living, haul livestock? :rolleyes:

Why? To cite my own experience, I test drove a 6.2L on the lot (not a special order), cite my ownership experience with the 5.3's very average acceleration and to clarify what you posted about V8 engines.

Why? To cite my own experience, I test drove a 6.2L on the lot (not a special order), cite my ownership experience with the 5.3's very average acceleration and to clarify what you posted about V8 engines.
Please don’t change. You’re sufficiently entertaining in your current form.

Please don’t change. You’re sufficiently entertaining in your current form.

Will do, and for further clarification, according to Autotrader, of all the new GM V8's within a 50 mile radius of my area there are 397 5.3's and 285 6.2's for sale currently. So your needlessly aggressive response was apparently FOS, maybe that's because of the current crazy market, so I look forward to a link with a recent history of V8 sales, I know you have some good sources.

Reactions: BW Lion
Some discussion on here regarding KIAs.... anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Tellurides? It has 3 seat rows, but listed as an SUV. Looks to be a little bigger than the average SUV on the road.
Thanks.
Yes -- Great automobile, great value, great warranty, great mileage (30+ daily driving). Traded in a Highlander which was very good -- no regrets. First saw it advertised on Superbowl and knew that was built for me and my family.

Reactions: Bob78

Love my 6.2L - 30 MPG.

Reactions: SLUPSU
Will do, and for further clarification, according to Autotrader, of all the new GM V8's within a 50 mile radius of my area there are 397 5.3's and 285 6.2's for sale currently. So your needlessly aggressive response was apparently FOS, maybe that's because of the current crazy market, so I look forward to a link with a recent history of V8 sales, I know you have some good sources.
Since the 5.3 wasn’t powerful enough for you, perhaps you should go haggle over a 6.2.

The available inventory in your rural, central location in the USA would seem conducive to getting a great deal on a 6.2 since no one else seems interested.

Hee Haw!

Last edited:
Since the 5.3 wasn’t powerful enough for you, perhaps you should go haggle over a 6.2.

The available inventory in your rural, central location in the USA would seem conducive to getting a great deal on a 6.2 since no one else seems interested.

Hee Haw!

LOL... you're pretty entertaining too. GMC's for sale in the Dallas (if you're still there) metro area, 930 5.3's and 924 6.2's for sale, time for you to move up! Does that make you more of a redneck?

I just replaced my 5.3 with a 2.0L four that will blow the doors off a 5.3 and keep up with 6.2 and get much better gas mileage, I'm set for now.

I just replaced my 5.3 with a 2.0L four that will blow the doors off a 5.3 and keep up with 6.2 and get much better gas mileage, I'm set for now.
I’m pleased that you’re pleased with you’re new Malibu

We purchased a Lexus RX350L this summer and love it. We had enjoyed our Toyota Highlander for 10 years and it was time....just to get something new and a little bit nicer. We love the Lexus.
Have the same car - and also love it. But the third row is only good if you need a 3rd row in a pinch or emergency every now and then. Way too small for everyday use.

The XC90 has poor reliability, plus part of the profits go to the Chinese military.

A better alternative would be the Genesis GV80.

Has more of that British higher end lux look and the interior is like what Jaguar interiors used to be.

The highest in demand trim is the top Prestige with the 3.5TT V6 motor, so getting one in the more desirable color combos may require looking within a wider geographic area.

Something like the RX or MDX simply do not have the luxury that OP is used to/looking for.

If going to that route, mind as well look at the Kia Telluride (see below) or the Mazda CX-9.

Check out the Kia Sorento. It’s obviously no BMW or Audi or Lexus, but the new, top of the line models are pretty sweet. We have a 2012 AWD EX with over 255,000 miles on it and have had zero problems. None. Nada. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

For the level of what OP is used to, the better bet is the top Telluride SXP - which has its fair share of conquests from lux brands, including Land Rover.

The SXP has gone for as much as $63K (MSRP is around $52k) in certain markets.

Has the highest resale of any CUV.

That in mind, I'm really intrigued by the new Kia Carnival. If they put AWD on it, it wouldn't even be a decision.

A hybrid is in the works, but no indication of AWD yet.

Thanks.

It's only a little bit longer than something like the Highlander, but has a much more usable 3rd row (shorter in length than the Mazda CX-9, much less something like the Traverse.).

Won every major auto award, including World Car of the Year, and has one of the highest scores ever awarded by Consumer Reports.

Best bet to get the top SXP trim without paying a mark-up is to order from a dealership that sells at MSRP (will be a 5 to 6 month wait; used to be as much as a year, but Kia expanded production which only lowered the wait in half).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT