ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Thoughts on new mid-size SUV?

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
Our trusty but overworked 2015 Range Rover Sport is at about 117,000 miles and starting to need more upkeep and maintenance than I’m willing to invest. We love the car - and it has all the upgrades - but the cost to keep it in tip top shape is probably as much as a down payment on something new. And we have a good bit of vacation traveling coming up so reliability is a big concern given the wear and tear on our current vehicle.

My top choices (wanting a balance of luxury, performance, maintenance, safety, etc.) are the Mercedes Benz GLE and the Volvo XC90. My FIL has a MB and loves it - says the service is top notch and he loves the performance. We like the safety track record of Volvo but no experience with them. Any others to consider? Any thoughts on these two? Thanks in advance

Our trusty but overworked 2015 Range Rover Sport is at about 117,000 miles and starting to need more upkeep and maintenance than I’m willing to invest. We love the car - and it has all the upgrades - but the cost to keep it in tip top shape is probably as much as a down payment on something new. And we have a good bit of vacation traveling coming up so reliability is a big concern given the wear and tear on our current vehicle.

My top choices (wanting a balance of luxury, performance, maintenance, safety, etc.) are the Mercedes Benz GLE and the Volvo XC90. My FIL has a MB and loves it - says the service is top notch and he loves the performance. We like the safety track record of Volvo but no experience with them. Any others to consider? Any thoughts on these two? Thanks in advance
XC90 is probably the worst of the Volvo models when it comes to reliability. Problems with brakes, transmission (bigly!), and fluid leaks. My wife had one and we ditched it in less than two years.

XC90 is probably the worst of the Volvo models when it comes to reliability. Problems with brakes, transmission (bigly!), and fluid leaks. My wife had one and we ditched it in less than two years.

Thanks Art - I saw it was top five (overall) on some Motor Trend or Car and Driver list; wife really likes them (safety) but I’m trying to steer towards the MB.

I just got an X3. I really like it.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Thanks Art - I saw it was top five (overall) on some Motor Trend or Car and Driver list; wife really likes them (safety) but I’m trying to steer towards the MB.
The problem with auto magazine reviews is that they don't "own" the vehicles for any length of time. They do little more than extensive test drives.

Started leasing an xc40 last dec. So far great car. Very comfortable for the long haul. Large storage. Good fuel economy. Quiet. Only complaint is pre sets for sat radio. Tried the equivalent mb. Felt cramped and did not like the position of the foot pedals.

Seems like you want a European luxury import. So i guess the only other option is an Audi.

LdN

With young children you can't beat a Minivan, and it's not close. Go drive a loaded Chrysler Pacifica and a Toyota Sienna and you'll see the wisdom in my suggestion. Make sure to test drive the Limited editions. You of course don't want the minivan to be "your" vehicle, but having one as the "family" vehicle is the way to go.

I agree with Nitwit. I am told the Audi is the class of the group. My neighbor has a deal with the local BMW dealer where he gets any car off of their used car lot for a month for $1000. He's gotten all of them. I asked and he said the Audi was far and away better from an electronics and comfort standpoint. Having said that, We've got an older Land Rover HSC and couldn't be happier with it. Just a GREAT car but isn't a "mid-size". We also looked at the Benz and liked it but went with the LR.

Look around for a low mileage Pinto Wagon. They're safe. Sort of.

iu

Get a new Range Rover .... just went on a date with a woman who has a new one, and it is pretty awesome.

Yeah, unfortunately the finances just won't allow it this year. We decided to put in a pool with an outdoor entertaining space so in any other year we would probably go for a new RR (or, what my wife really wants, a new MB G Wagon), we're budgeting until the pool is finished. Maintenance on a RR is high too - the 'check up' I just had called for nearly $13,000 in service repairs/replacements and they didn't blink when I asked for a better deal (instantly took $2,000 off). So, for now, something cheaper to maintain and purchase. Maybe in five years we'll look at RR again.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Audi RS Q8.

More seriously tho, I am an Audi guy. My 2010 S4 has been a great car for me for eleven years and 143k miles. It has some quarks but no deal breakers. I know that doesn’t imply all Audis are the same, tho. I think Audi builds the best overall luxury SUVs.

I also really find the Ford Explorer to be a great car. Lots of room and features but once you option it up the price is quickly in the same range as an Audi and I’m not sure I’d want to pay Audi prices for a Ford. Another anecdote is there apparently was a big problem with transmissions a few years ago - the 2016 Explorer I bought for my ex now has 54k miles and we’ve been told it needs a new transmission.

Audi RS Q8.

More seriously tho, I am an Audi guy. My 2010 S4 has been a great car for me for eleven years and 143k miles. It has some quarks but no deal breakers. I know that doesn’t imply all Audis are the same, tho. I think Audi builds the best overall luxury SUVs.

I also really find the Ford Explorer to be a great car. Lots of room and features but once you option it up the price is quickly in the same range as an Audi and I’m not sure I’d want to pay Audi prices for a Ford. Another anecdote is there apparently was a big problem with transmissions a few years ago - the 2016 Explorer I bought for my ex now has 54k miles and we’ve been told it needs a new transmission.
They are more properly called Exploders.

Yeah, unfortunately the finances just won't allow it this year. We decided to put in a pool with an outdoor entertaining space so in any other year we would probably go for a new RR (or, what my wife really wants, a new MB G Wagon), we're budgeting until the pool is finished. Maintenance on a RR is high too - the 'check up' I just had called for nearly $13,000 in service repairs/replacements and they didn't blink when I asked for a better deal (instantly took $2,000 off). So, for now, something cheaper to maintain and purchase. Maybe in five years we'll look at RR again.
Not a knock on you or the wife but I don’t get the appeal of the G Wagon - looks like an overpriced Jeep - even though Jeep prices are catching up to it - just got a Acura MDX - nice mid-size SUV. No shopping BMW 5 series since don’t want 2 SUV’s.

I ordered a Lexus RX450h last month. It was just delivered to the dealership and I’ll pick it up next week. It’s the highest rated in its class for reliability. I plan on keeping it for many years.

With young children you can't beat a Minivan, and it's not close. Go drive a loaded Chrysler Pacifica and a Toyota Sienna and you'll see the wisdom in my suggestion. Make sure to test drive the Limited editions. You of course don't want the minivan to be "your" vehicle, but having one as the "family" vehicle is the way to go.
My guess is that a young couple who are going to be trading in a RR for either a Mercedes or Volvo aren't going to consider a domestic minivan - not being judgemental, just saying some people like chocolate and some people like vanilla.

I agree with you - from a practicality and functionality viewpoint, those two loaded models (Pacifica and Sienna) can't be beat (especially if you are in that "hauling around the kids and their friends" phase of life). More passenger room, more cargo space, and just as much (if not more) technology and safety features as those other models. You can also seat 8 passengers and haul 3600 lbs with the towing package in the Pacifica. Plus, added bonus of lower sticker price and better mpg!

Last edited:
My guess is that a young couple who are going to be trading in a RR for either a Mercedes or Volvo aren't going to consider a domestic minivan - not being judgemental, just saying some people like chocolate and some people like vanilla.

I agree with you - from a practicality and functionality viewpoint, those two loaded models (Pacifica and Sienna) can't be beat (especially if you are in that "hauling around the kids and their friends" phase of life). More passenger room, more cargo space, and just as much (if not more) technology and safety features as those other models. You can also seat 8 passengers and haul 3600 lbs with the towing package in the Pacifica. Plus, added bonus of lower sticker price and better mpg!
Yep, but it had to be said. When it comes to a family with young children nothing beats a minivan, and it's not really close.

I’ll second the recommendation on the Acura. Both the RDX and MDX are good cars but they’re designed more towards performance than luxury. Our RDX is the smaller of the two but still very spacious. I think it has about 270 HP. I’m not crazy about the touch screen but overall it has plenty of technology - adaptive cruise control, lane warning assist, air conditioned seats, etc. My wife really loves it but overall I prefer my E class sedan.

Last edited:
Check out the Kia Sorento. It’s obviously no BMW or Audi or Lexus, but the new, top of the line models are pretty sweet. We have a 2012 AWD EX with over 255,000 miles on it and have had zero problems. None. Nada. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Not a knock on you or the wife but I don’t get the appeal of the G Wagon - looks like an overpriced Jeep - even though Jeep prices are catching up to it - just got a Acura MDX - nice mid-size SUV. No shopping BMW 5 series since don’t want 2 SUV’s.p
ppP

Started leasing an xc40 last dec. So far great car. Very comfortable for the long haul. Large storage. Good fuel economy. Quiet. Only complaint is pre sets for sat radio. Tried the equivalent mb. Felt cramped and did not like the position of the foot pedals.
Thinking of leasing one of these also, primarily to keep my S5 out of bad weather. Also would be a convenient grocery-getter. Love the looks of this vehicle. Probably will wait for the car market to cool a bit. Tough to find a deal right now.

Check out the Kia Sorento. It’s obviously no BMW or Audi or Lexus, but the new, top of the line models are pretty sweet. We have a 2012 AWD EX with over 255,000 miles on it and have had zero problems. None. Nada. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned.
Back in 2011 I looked at these. The dealer knew I was looking at the MDX also so threw everything he could at me to get me to buy. At the time I just couldn’t bring myself to buy a Kia, so I bought the MDX. Started to have electrical issues with it around 175K miles that no one could figure out so I got rid of it. Wish I would have given the Kia a chance.

Have not even skimmed 34 replies, so forgive if mentioned. Anyway, at least just a few years ago (have not paid attention lately), are you aware the European autos have lowest reliability of autos sold in US? Also, parts very expensive...just a no no all the way around! Think at least 3X!

Have not even skimmed 34 replies, so forgive if mentioned. Anyway, at least just a few years ago (have not paid attention lately), are you aware the European autos have lowest reliability of autos sold in US? Also, parts very expensive...just a no no all the way around! Think at least 3X!
For all Euro cars, if you work on your own vehicles or have a mechanic that will work with customer supplied parts this site is the place to go. Look for "kits" as they are usually a much better price and come complete. They also offer three options, Original, OEM, and Aftermarket. OEM and Original are the same part, different box so buy the OEM for less money. For aftermarket they usually offer two choices, but I almost always purchase the OEM parts so I'm not that familiar. They also have an assortment of BOM's and repair specs but these are sometimes hard to locate. They offer free shipping and I usually get my parts in one day, regardless of the weight.

Last edited:
We've got the same (might be a 2011 model) but with less mileage. Have only had to replace brakes and struts. I'll also add that the 6 cyl. 3.3 ltr engine has quite pep to it. The only odd thing we've found with it is occasionally when it's started the engine will race for a while when parked. Doesn't seem to have had any impact over 8 yrs we've had it.

ADVERTISEMENT