ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Sushi

I can eat sushi and sashimi until it comes out of my ears, and I love Uni. It may be an acquired taste, but it is the fois gras of the sushi world.

Reactions: thewholebit
Any of you fellas ever have uni? If so, would you recommend it?
It's great. Ask how fresh it is. If over 24 hours "old", I recommend against it. First time I tried it, I gagged for certain. As the saying goes, don't criticize something until you tried it at least twice. Second time it was wonderful, but the waitress told me to always ask when it was received at the sushi house. H-Mart grocery store has it here in Austin, but not as close to as good as a great sushi shop

BTW, I’ve had poke recently and poke is much better than sushi/sashimi…
Poke is just day old tuna or salmon sashimi, soaked in a sauce, and served on top of veggies/mangos/avacados and rice. :eek: Actually it is quite good, and it is my quick lunch go-to from the sushi stand at our grocery store. First time I had it was in Santa Monica about 8 years ago and I loved it. Still nothing better than fresh tuna/salmon sashimi

Reactions: BrucePa
Poke is just day old tuna or salmon sashimi, soaked in a sauce, and served on top of veggies/mangos/avacados and rice. :eek: Actually it is quite good, and it is my quick lunch go-to from the sushi stand at our grocery store. First time I had it was in Santa Monica about 8 years ago and I loved it. Still nothing better than fresh tuna/salmon sashimi
Let's be careful with the use of the word "fresh" when it comes to sushi fish. These fish are not right out of the ocean to your plate. They are sashimi-grade, flash frozen on the boat -- remember, a tuna boat can be out there for a week or more -- and they are super-frozen to minus 70 degrees. If you see the large Tzukiji fish market in Tokyo, the tuna carcasses are like bricks. The fish are also butchered using the Ikejime spike up through the spine to prevent rigor mortis.

And...! The key to sushi is the rice. If you apprentice at a sushi restaurant in order to make a career out of it, you begin by learning to make the rice. For eight years! And then you'll be allowed to start learning how to prepare the fish. Rice first!

Let's be careful with the use of the word "fresh" when it comes to sushi fish. These fish are not right out of the ocean to your plate. They are sashimi-grade, flash frozen on the boat -- remember, a tuna boat can be out there for a week or more -- and they are super-frozen to minus 70 degrees. If you see the large Tzukiji fish market in Tokyo, the tuna carcasses are like bricks. The fish are also butchered using the Ikejime spike up through the spine to prevent rigor mortis.

And...! The key to sushi is the rice. If you apprentice at a sushi restaurant in order to make a career out of it, you begin by learning to make the rice. For eight years! And then you'll be allowed to start learning how to prepare the fish. Rice first!
Tuna auction moved to the new Toyosu Fish Market about three years ago.

I know what poke is. I’ve had it at a restaurant a month ago and have now made it myself twice.

since you asked, I don't eat raw fish period. I've had food poisoning thrice and don't want to have it again.

200.gif

Try Uni with a quail egg. It’s crazy and fantastic.
Yes, it's delicious. However, I make sure it's flown in that day or afternoon, which it is at most quality Sushi places. If in Annapolis, MD, go to Joss, you won't regret it.

Reactions: DC89
Sheetz or WaWa?
1 Pizza Hut

2 A pizza in Maui (there was a mushroom to the side of the box and I at it, but the ones on the pizza were fine. I was sick for three days and spent an afternoon in the Maui emergency room for dehydration)

3 A McNugget from my favorite Irish restaurant (McDonald's) that was in the car. I thought it had fallen out of my kid's dinner but it turns out it fell out of her dinner several days before.

ADVERTISEMENT