ADVERTISEMENT

AKB....Selling a boat

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
Selling my 14 foot Lowe and the trailer. Need a little help...once I get the price I want what do I do? Bud said transferring the title can be a pain. How much $$$ does it cost to transfer a title? Do I pay for that or the guys that buy the boat? Any help would be appreciated fellas...

Reactions: brupsu
Selling my 14 foot Lowe and the trailer. Need a little help...once I get the price I want what do I do? Bud said transferring the title can be a pain. How much $$$ does it cost to transfer a title? Do I pay for that or the guys that buy the boat? Any help would be appreciated fellas...
I'm about to do the same with an older Coleman canoe, trolling motor+ mount and gear. Any vehicle title place can handle transaction. Simple and fast. Just confirm w buyer that the process is on him. All you do is sign over title. Teller does transaction and new address. Sold a Skiff awhile ago but don't remember cost..not much though ($75-100 at most). My canoe is only selling for $600

It's a title transfer just as if you are selling a vehicle. Don't forget the title for the trailer as well. Also, you have to put a price on the trailer for the transfer. So, if you're asking $3500 for the boat and trailer, just tell them at the title transfer place the boat sold for $3000 and the trailer for $500. The buyer will have to pay for the transfer and sales tax at the transfer. It's not hard at all. There's a Northeast Title and Tag in Dallas.

Yup all the above. You sign over the title to the buyer. Now if it were me, and I did not know the buyer, and he does not pay cash, I am holding on to the title until the check clears the bank. When it clears, he gets the paperwork. Might motivate the buyer to bring cash.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Yup all the above. You sign over the title to the buyer. Now if it were me, and I did not know the buyer, and he does not pay cash, I am holding on to the title until the check clears the bank. When it clears, he gets the paperwork. Might motivate the buyer to bring cash.
I ask that the buyer pays with a cashier's check.

“Get back to work Donnie!” (I apologize if anyone doesn’t get the reference….you will if you listen to the Bob & Tom show….I couldn’t resist).

Once you finalize a deal, be sure to contract with Demlion’s Boat Delivery Service to make sure the boat arrives to the buyer in pristine condition.

Reactions: Fac
The used boat market is still crazy, but coming down slowly. Aim high and tell the buyer to bring cash. Cash also can help on the sales tax for the buyer. You agree upon the sales price and he hands you the cash, but you both agree to a reasonable price to list on the transaction forms at the notary to save him some money on the sales tax. Yes, it is shady, but it happens all the time.

MAKE SURE YOU FILL AND SIGN A BILL OF SALE!!! include everything that is being sold including any electronics and the motor with the motors VIN/Serial# and the hull HIN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT