ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Problem converting LP grill to natural gas

gogolion

Aug 28, 2013
I'm converting my Weber grill from LP to natural gas. I've run the gas line from my pool heater to the grill. When I turn on the grill no gas comes out. The grill works fine with a propane tank attached. If I disconnect the natural gas hose from the grill and turn on the gas there is definitely gas coming out of the hose and it seems to be pretty strong pressure.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? Is there some sort of minimum pressure needed? Is there something internal to the grill that I need to change to make it work with natural gas?

TIA

I'm converting my Weber grill from LP to natural gas. I've run the gas line from my pool heater to the grill. When I turn on the grill no gas comes out. The grill works fine with a propane tank attached. If I disconnect the natural gas hose from the grill and turn on the gas there is definitely gas coming out of the hose and it seems to be pretty strong pressure.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? Is there some sort of minimum pressure needed? Is there something internal to the grill that I need to change to make it work with natural gas?

TIA
Typically there is. Did you use the conversation kit?? There’s something about the size of the orifice
You should be able to search on line for a proper explanation

TIA
There is also a regulator for the pressure on the grill line that will need to be changed. The orifice on LP has a larger diameter hole than Natural gas. The reason I know this is because we had a natural gas cooking stove at our cabin converted to LP and the tech drilled out the brass orifices on each burner control.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sounds like a regulator deal. I watched some youtube video saying you could drill out the brass orifice bigger for LP...................I'm pretty handy so I gave it go: It sounded like an F-14 and honestly my grill was super bad ass! So if you get the regulator figured out experiment with drilling the orifice bigger . That was my favorite grill .

TIA
I converted my Weber gas grill from propane to natural gas years ago. There's more to it than simply stubbing in natural gas and moving the grill's gas supply line from your propane tank to your natural gas connection. I had to buy a conversion kit from Weber in order to make the conversion. But it has worked like a charm ever since.

TIA

holy shit

never occurred to you there’s a reason Weber sells two versions of these grills?

#massiveFacepalm

So I did a little googling and it looks like I need to swap out the orifices from LP to natural gas. Is that my problem?
And the regulator. There are numerous videos and articles available on how to do this. The trickiest part is getting the proper orifice size depending on the psi of your Natgas supply.

So I did a little googling and it looks like I need to swap out the orifices from LP to natural gas. Is that my problem?
NG and propane are usually supplied at different pressures. They have a different btu per cubic square feet also. I would find a locale fireplace/outdoor living store and ask them for advice or send an email to Weber with the model number and ask them. But by all means play with gas! What could go wrong?

NG and propane are usually supplied at different pressures. They have a different btu per cubic square feet also. I would find a locale fireplace/outdoor living store and ask them for advice or send an email to Weber with the model number and ask them. But by all means play with gas! What could go wrong?

it's a grill. He will just blow the cover off. He doesn't need those eyebrows anyway.

Call Hank Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT