ADVERTISEMENT

AKB - help with Honeywell thermostat not connecting

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I’ve had a Honeywell thermostat which stopped connecting to my Wi-Fi. The thermostat functions properly and runs the program (heats and cools) which we entered directly but it no longer connects to the app on our iPhones, so we lost the ability to control it remotely using the app. I’m not sure if the problem is with my Wi-Fi strength, the router, or with the thermostat. We’re able to stream TV OK. Has anyone had this problem or better yet, fixed it? Thanks

Sometimes those connections go haywire for some reason. On your device (phone, laptop, whatever you control it through), try forgetting the thermostat and reconnecting it. That usually works when I have issues.

Sometimes those connections go haywire for some reason. On your device (phone, laptop, whatever you control it through), try forgetting the thermostat and reconnecting it. That usually works when I have issues.
Or deleting and reinstalling that’s where I’d start too

Yep, reinstall the wifi settings in the thermostat. If that doesn't work, try connecting to another router. If that doesn't work, the wifi card in the thermostat probably went bad. At that point, unless you're really good at electronics repair, you need a new thermostat.

Reactions: jp3272
I’ve had a Honeywell thermostat which stopped connecting to my Wi-Fi. The thermostat functions properly and runs the program (heats and cools) which we entered directly but it no longer connects to the app on our iPhones, so we lost the ability to control it remotely using the app. I’m not sure if the problem is with my Wi-Fi strength, the router, or with the thermostat. We’re able to stream TV OK. Has anyone had this problem or better yet, fixed it? Thanks
Have you tried rubbing your phone against the thermostat softly and slowly for a while?

Sounds like time for a nest... check and see if the app on your phone needs an update or if the firmware in the thermostat does.

Google wants you to freeze, but then I also don't understand the almost universal love of home automation.

BookReaderPreview.php

Most likely (and this may be a bit technical) the problem resides with your wireless network and the ability of the Honeywell Smart Thermostat.

Most Smart devices are (shocker) made with the cheapest parts, in this case, the wireless hardware inside the Honeywell thermostat most likely only works with 802.11b/g WiFi networks (which operate in the 2.4GHz frequency spectrum).

Most peoples routers are a mix of 802.11b/g and 802.11n and newer 802.11ac or 802.11ax. Now N operates in the 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz range, depending on your router configuration.

Most people set up their wifi SSID (network name) for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz with the same name and password. This is good for simplicity, however it usually causes havoc with your 'SMART' devices which can only talk to 802.11b/g, while unforuately having great signal to your router on the 2.4GHz band, but the router is expecting 802.11n devices to be talking to it on the 2.4GHz band.

On some routers, you can split your WiFi SSID name for the 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio bands, so you have NITWIT (which is 2.4GHz) and NITWIT_5G (which is 5GHz). That way, the 'SMART' Thermostat and router will be both talking and listening on the correct band, for the right type of device.

I hope that makes sense, and helps you (and others) solve your WiFi 'SMART' device issues.

Most likely (and this may be a bit technical) the problem resides with your wireless network and the ability of the Honeywell Smart Thermostat.

Most Smart devices are (shocker) made with the cheapest parts, in this case, the wireless hardware inside the Honeywell thermostat most likely only works with 802.11b/g WiFi networks (which operate in the 2.4GHz frequency spectrum).

Most peoples routers are a mix of 802.11b/g and 802.11n and newer 802.11ac or 802.11ax. Now N operates in the 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz range, depending on your router configuration.

Most people set up their wifi SSID (network name) for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz with the same name and password. This is good for simplicity, however it usually causes havoc with your 'SMART' devices which can only talk to 802.11b/g, while unforuately having great signal to your router on the 2.4GHz band, but the router is expecting 802.11n devices to be talking to it on the 2.4GHz band.

On some routers, you can split your WiFi SSID name for the 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio bands, so you have NITWIT (which is 2.4GHz) and NITWIT_5G (which is 5GHz). That way, the 'SMART' Thermostat and router will be both talking and listening on the correct band, for the right type of device.

I hope that makes sense, and helps you (and others) solve your WiFi 'SMART' device issues.

The one thing to keep in mind is that your smart device and phone/tablet often have to be on the same network. So smart device on 2.4 ghz and phone/tablet on 5 ghz almost always have to share the same network. Providing separate names may not meet that requirement.

The one thing to keep in mind is that your smart device and phone/tablet often have to be on the same network. So smart device on 2.4 ghz and phone/tablet on 5 ghz almost always have to share the same network. Providing separate names may not meet that requirement.
So long as they are both coming from the same router, it doesn't matter. I have all my 'smart' devices on my 2.4GHz SSID, and my phone & laptops on 5GHz SSID, they all see each other just fine, even my hardwired desktop can access the wireless devices a-okay since they are all being serviced by a single router on the back end.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I have the same Honeywell Thermostat and had the same problem when upgrading routers. I use my older Asus as a Mesh and it's near the thermostat. It only transmits as 5ghz, I had to set up a guest network on the main (new) router that's farther away and was able to connect my Honeywell thermostat. Took a while, but that, my Ring and the printer all seem to either want 2.4 or demand it. May just be me but hope that helps.

Thanks for all the advice but it’s way too technical for me. I’ve tried rebooting and that didn’t work and as I never changed anything from when it was working - it just stopped, I’m at a loss for now. I’ll try getting Comcast to look at the router and short of any fix there, try my hvac contractor to take a look. I might just need to get a new thermostat and maybe get the Nest this time around. I’ve had one of those in my beach house and it’s been reliable.

ADVERTISEMENT