ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Has anyone used a prepared food delivery service?

Nittany_9

Feb 21, 2002
I need to lose about 50 pounds and have a horrible diet between crazy work travel and 2 busy kids.

looking at the prepared food services; Freshly, Project Lean Nation.....etc...

Anyone have any experience with these?

I need to lose about 50 pounds and have a horrible diet between crazy work travel and 2 busy kids.

Yes, and for some of the same reasons as you - namely, to save time. We have a very long, time intensive commute and with our kids now old enough to go to school, there are more demands on our time. I love cooking though and try to do as much as I can on weekends. That said, we're currently doing Freshly three times a week. You place your order for the week ahead and they deliver on Sundays. They have a decent selection of entrees (I stick to mostly chicken) but after about a month I find I'm already cycling through familiar options. I find it's fine for the cost and the quality is pretty good. I don't know how 'healthy' they are though - the calories are fairly low, but lots of meals have a lot of carbs, fat, and sodium. You can sort meals though to find low totals for whichever category you want. One of my favorite meals was the 'cod cakes' but they have 41 grams of fat.

I think if you want more of a 'diet', I'd buy some bagged salad, some of the pre-cooked grilled chicken, and make salads and wraps with it. If you want something relatively healthy that will save a ton of time, Freshly is fine. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I'll add the best prepared food service we did was called 'Galley' in DC. They made the food and delivered it the same day (so, one meal/day at a time). It was a much better quality but was also more expensive (and portions for proteins tended to be small). I don't know that they deliver outside of the DMV though.

https://www.galleyfoods.com/welcome

Maybe someone could enlighten me here but with these services they send you the ingredients but you still have to take the time to prep/chop/cook etc. right? So really the only time saved is shopping for the ingredients. Many grocery stores now have the option for curb side pickup and/or delivery so why not go that route?

Maybe someone could enlighten me here but with these services they send you the ingredients but you still have to take the time to prep/chop/cook etc. right? So really the only time saved is shopping for the ingredients. Many grocery stores now have the option for curb side pickup and/or delivery so why not go that route?

Some are like that. Blue Apron sends the ingredients and then you prepare it at home. For others like Freshly, the food is prepared, refrigerated, then shipped in cold packaging. You just heat them up and eat.

Reactions: PS4814

Who needs to lose the weight, just you or everyone? If its mainly you I'd get some cans of Ensure or something similar to drink at breakfast and lunch or whenever and carry them with you for whenever you get hungry. Maybe some diet bars too. You can still work on the healthier lunch with your family, but it sounds like you need additional help. What I like to do on the weekends is do tons on cooking and then freeze and vacuum seal meals. They can last weeks or months, throw the bag in a pot of boiling water to thaw and they are like fresh. You can get a nice vacuum sealer and supplies at Sam's or Costco. Fajitas, taco meat, sauces, roasts with veggies, chicken, you name it and it lasts forever.

Who needs to lose the weight, just you or everyone? If its mainly you I'd get some cans of Ensure or something similar to drink at breakfast and lunch or whenever and carry them with you for whenever you get hungry. Maybe some diet bars too. You can still work on the healthier lunch with your family, but it sounds like you need additional help. What I like to do on the weekends is do tons on cooking and then freeze and vacuum seal meals. They can last weeks or months, throw the bag in a pot of boiling water to thaw and they are like fresh. You can get a nice vacuum sealer and supplies at Sam's or Costco. Fajitas, taco meat, sauces, roasts with veggies, chicken, you name it and it lasts forever.

That is the kind of thing that cooking classes ought to be for instead of making everything from scratch every time, which is something nobody other than a cooking fanatic will ever do in real life. If you're going to put it in the freezer then why do you need a vacuum sealer?

As far as Ensure-type things go, here is something I use from time to time. People think it's fake because if it's name, but it's real. The problem with food is that nature demands you consume it 3-ish times every single days and it's nice to turn off the process now and then.

https://soylent.com/

That is the kind of thing that cooking classes ought to be for instead of making everything from scratch every time, which is something nobody other than a cooking fanatic will ever do in real life. If you're going to put it in the freezer then why do you need a vacuum sealer?

As far as Ensure-type things go, here is something I use from time to time. People think it's fake because if it's name, but it's real. The problem with food is that nature demands you consume it 3-ish times every single days and it's nice to turn off the process now and then.

https://soylent.com/

Freezing it makes it easier to vacuum seal it since there are no liquids to get sucked out. I actually find it easier to cook large quantities of food less frequently than vice versa. For things that are not eaten as frequently it's great. Portion out, freeze, seal, and then grab whenever. Even my daughter can throw the bag in some water, although I still work the stove for her.

After quite a bit of research, I’m about to try Veestro. It’s pricey but I don’t want to have to spend much time preparing, and I wanted to cut out meat for a bit as part of my “reset”.

Reactions: AldenT
After quite a bit of research, I’m about to try Veestro. It’s pricey but I don’t want to have to spend much time preparing, and I wanted to cut out meat for a bit as part of my “reset”.

I do that from time to time...it’s really quite good and prep is heating it up, so it’s a homerun.

OP, if you quit drinking and eat plant-based, you’ll lose 50lbs in about 3 months. It works.

Pretty much all of the ingredients are there for you and in the correct amounts along with detailed cooking instructions. Plus, things like string beans are already trimmed, etc. so it's really easy and fast to prepare the food. Much quicker than going to the grocery store and having to assemble a meal.

Domino's

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT