ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Duracell Procell and Energizer E92 AAA batteries vs. standard AAA batteries

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
ALL.-KNOWING. BOARD. :eek:

A smoke detector installed by ADT a few years ago started chirping and obviously needs new batteries. It came with three Duracell Procell AAA batteries, and the smoke detector states "PC2400 DURACELL PROCELL OR ENERGIZER E92 BATTERY ONLY". I searched online and see that these are industrial or "professional" batteries and are not sold in standard consumer blister packs. Not knowing this originally, I looked for them at CVS and then Lowe's and came up empty (I needed standard batteries anyway and got them at CVS, so not a wasted trip).

I realize that a smoke detector is not something to take for granted, but is it absolutely necessary to use the industrial/professional batteries instead of standard consumer batteries (e.g., Duracell Coppertop)? I can order the Duracell Procell batteries from Amazon. A Batteries Plus Bulbs store probably has them and the Energizer E92, but I haven't checked there yet.

Thoughts?

ALL.-KNOWING. BOARD. :eek:

A smoke detector installed by ADT a few years ago started chirping and obviously needs new batteries. It came with three Duracell Procell AAA batteries, and the smoke detector states "PC2400 DURACELL PROCELL OR ENERGIZER E92 BATTERY ONLY". I searched online and see that these are industrial or "professional" batteries and are not sold in standard consumer blister packs. Not knowing this originally, I looked for them at CVS and then Lowe's and came up empty (I needed standard batteries anyway and got them at CVS, so not a wasted trip).

I realize that a smoke detector is not something to take for granted, but is it absolutely necessary to use the industrial/professional batteries instead of standard consumer batteries (e.g., Duracell Coppertop)? I can order the Duracell Procell batteries from Amazon. A Batteries Plus Bulbs store probably has them and the Energizer E92, but I haven't checked there yet.

Thoughts?

Regular AAA will work, just won't last as long.

Try eBay. That where I got the pro grade batteries that my landlord uses.

Nice cover story. Why do you really need batteries, is your hand seized up with cramps?

Reactions: 81b&w
Ignore that label. Procells are just alkaline batteries. Any high quality alkaline will work fine and should give you years of service.

I like the new smoke detectors that have built in lithium batteries and are guaranteed to last 10 years. You never buy batteries. After 10 years you just change the smoke detector.

Regular AAA will work, just won't last as long.

That’s what I figured. I read that the Procell batteries are charged higher than the Coppertop. A video on YouTube shows that a new Procell AAA reads 1.61 V on a voltmeter instead of the standard 1.5 V.

Just for the heck of it, I went to a Batteries Plus Bulbs store today. The guy there said I didn’t need the Procell batteries. He acknowledged that they last longer than the Coppertop but still weren’t necessary. So I am using the Coppertop in the smoke detector.

That’s what I figured. I read that the Procell batteries are charged higher than the Coppertop. A video on YouTube shows that a new Procell AAA reads 1.61 V on a voltmeter instead of the standard 1.5 V.

Just for the heck of it, I went to a Batteries Plus Bulbs store today. The guy there said I didn’t need the Procell batteries. He acknowledged that they last longer than the Coppertop but still weren’t necessary. So I am using the Coppertop in the smoke detector.
The same batteries you use for your vibrators should work fine!

Yup. Assuming that your smoke detector is a monitored device so there will be more drain on the battery. How much and how more frequently it will need to be changed can't say. I buy batteries in bulk at Costco and figure I might as well use them before they go bad.

The same batteries you use for your vibrators should work fine!

I dunno. Don't you think that this might be a little overkill?

images

Yup. Assuming that your smoke detector is a monitored device so there will be more drain on the battery. How much and how more frequently it will need to be changed can't say. I buy batteries in bulk at Costco and figure I might as well use them before they go bad.

This is the first time I’ve changed the batteries in this smoke detector since it was installed a little over three years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT