ADVERTISEMENT

AKB, Any recs for an online eyeglass purchase ?

katchthis

Sep 3, 2004
I got a pair of Persols at Lens Crafters a few years back. I recently went in, and asked to see their Persol collection. The salesperson stated they don't sell those anymore as they held up too well. WTF. Thanks in advance.

I have been buying my eyeglasses from glassesusa since 2009. Got an eye exam at Lenscrafters and asked the optometrist to measure my pupil distance. I wear progressive bifocals and have probably bought a dozen pair including sunglasses from them. My rimless glasses with UV coating and progressive bifocals cost about $250 compared to around $450 at Lenscrafters. They arrive in about three weeks and they have been very generous with returns for whatever reason.

I second Warby Parker. My daughter used it. Get 5 frames sent to you so you can try them all on. Select the one you want and return the frames and order your glasses. Very nice feature that you get to try on the frames before you buy.

Reactions: katchthis
I got a pair of Persols at Lens Crafters a few years back. I recently went in, and asked to see their Persol collection. The salesperson stated they don't sell those anymore as they held up too well. WTF. Thanks in advance.
I don't have an answer but am interested as well. Two years ago we went to lenscrafters that was having a 50% off sale; buy two get one free. So we picked out two pair and were told the bill was $550. I reminded her of the sale and she said that was on sale. I told her to forget it and we'd shop around. She then came back and said that they were having another sale that wasn't being advertised: one pair for $250. I laughed and walked out. They hire high school kids as clerk that can't, I guess, do math.

I second Warby Parker. My daughter used it. Get 5 frames sent to you so you can try them all on. Select the one you want and return the frames and order your glasses. Very nice feature that you get to try on the frames before you buy.

Warby Parker are nice, but they don't really make frames for people with big heads like myself. ha.
I went into the store on 5th ave and tried them, they were comically small on my head.

Actually, I take it back, I just went online to look at their options and they now have big headed options!

Last edited:
Have not personally used them but several friends have bought glasses from Costco and have been very happy with the experience.

Reactions: TiredOldLion
Lol...similar tale: My brother went into Home Depot last year looking to replace his old(>30 years) refrigerator that recently quit working. He found one that he liked , and saw that it was significantly more expensive than he wanted to pay . After a discussion with his wife, he decided to buy it. He told as much to the sales person. He reasoned out loud the "if it lasts another 32 years, it wil be worth it"----The sales clerk responded with" Oh, it won't last that long, They only last 10 years now....
they found out what caused them to last so long, "and they fixed it"

I've used EyeBuyDirect for my son's glasses. Though at that point I'm going for inexpensive since they're going to break or become too small soon enough anyway.

I just got three pairs from Zenni to wear around at night, so I didn't need anything fancy. Super cheap, quick, and good selection of frames.

It's good to see that Luxottica's near monopoly is being challenged in the marketplace

Reactions: PSU87
Warby Parker are nice, but they don't really make frames for people with big heads like myself. ha.
I went into the store on 5th ave and tried them, they were comically small on my head.

Actually, I take it back, I just went online to look at their options and they now have big headed options!
57bdfc9ace38f298008b8b04

I bought Piersol frames on Ebay, sometimes you can find some nice unique frames,Used to be able to find a lot more a lot of fakes now though.

My hs bff is an optometrist in Atlanta, deals with all kinds of vip requests including movie sets. Want his digits pm the rick me.
my persols are at the bottom of the lake, forfeited to the lake gods before we moved to Chicago. High style MF fo sho

Because of cataract surgery in one eye and a double cataract in the other, my script does not change. Do not understand dynamics of the double never changing and it was always my worst eye but can see pretty damn good without correction. One of the son in laws is a retinal surgeon so I need to pick his brain. I'm well connected health wise! Wife PSU BS nurse grad, nursing supervisor; son in law pediatric GI at Boston's Children's; daughter, Behr pharmaceutical NE US manager; daughter, Anesthesiologist/Intensivist. We made all four go to PSU. They wanted to anyway after all those games they went to! lol

ADVERTISEMENT