ADVERTISEMENT

AKB. Any recommendations for shipping golf clubs?

Parkland Fan

Jul 25, 2001
I am spending a week in July at Oak Island, NC. There's an Allegiant flight from Allentown to Myrtle Beach which is convenient, but I am reluctant to check my golf clubs with that airline. Has anybody used any of the alternatives?
Thanks in advance.

Lol. You are willing to fly and take your life into peril but won’t let your clubs share the same risk! Must be nice clubs!
:cool:
Yes, they are nice clubs. My fear isn't the plane going down, it's the clubs getting lost or stolen.

Several years ago I was driving to Hilton Head in my daughter's SUV. A friend who lives in Bluffton was lending a set of clubs for my son. The car was really packed, including an infant car seat. We got the borrowed clubs squeezed in the back My larger bag wouldn't fit, so I suggested to my wife that she could squeeze in the back seat and I would put my clubs in the front passenger seat - secured with the seat belt. It didn't go over well. I decided to repack the whole car rather than risk a vacation week with an angry wife.

Last edited:
I always rent at the destination club. One flight I opened my bag to see my driver and fairway wood heads snapped of the shaft.

My bag has an “unusual combo” of 14 clubs I could never find a rental set anywhere in the world similar to my set! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I've used shipsticks 10-15 times. Only had them be late a couple of times. When they don't deliver on time, they will give you 250 towards rentals, balls, shoes, etc. to make up for it. As earlier poster stated, pretty cheap if you use ground, though you will be without your clubs for a bit before you leave and after you return.

When I go to Palm Desert I always use ship sticks. No problem at all. Always there with return receipt. 7 days lead time

I am spending a week in July at Oak Island, NC. There's an Allegiant flight from Allentown to Myrtle Beach which is convenient, but I am reluctant to check my golf clubs with that airline. Has anybody used any of the alternatives?
Thanks in advance.

If you shipped today via FEDEX ground, they would be there by EOB on Wed, for around $52. (One way).

No idea what ship sticks charges, but at least you have this.

If you shipped today via FEDEX ground, they would be there by EOB on Wed, for around $52. (One way).

No idea what ship sticks charges, but at least you have this.
A friend of mine takes a Harley trip with his buds every year. They send a change of clothes to hotels along the way. He says the hotels are happy to take the package and hold them. He throws away his dirty underwear and socks and sends the accumulated worn clothes back when he can no longer pack them in his limited travel space on his bike. Great idea.

tenor.gif

A friend of mine takes a Harley trip with his buds every year. They send a change of clothes to hotels along the way. He says the hotels are happy to take the package and hold them. He throws away his dirty underwear and socks and sends the accumulated worn clothes back when he can no longer pack them in his limited travel space on his bike. Great idea.

tenor.gif
I got two saddlebags and a tour pak on my bike, so i carry enough clothes for the trip. And if I need fresh clothes, a few quarters and a laundromat are pretty much all I need.

I used ShipSticks once on a trip to FL. The clubs spent the weekend in Chicago. I'd guess that is not the norm. I haven't used them since.

My teammate at Penn State had his clubs lost on a flight. He really didn't even care about the clubs. He said they were replaceable but he had personal golf items in his bag that mattered the most to him that were gone. Never forgot how he felt. Take that stuff out!

A few years ago I invested in a high end hard case for my clubs since I had $3000 invested in my set. The only downside I see of taking clubs on airplane is TSA almost always will open up a golf case which leaves one open for the case not being properly reclosed.

Thanks in advance.
I would call the pro shop at the first club you are playing at, and ask if you can direct ship them there to arrive one day early. Ask them about their experience , and what service they would recommend. You can also arrange shipping back through that address. Give the guys a few bucks tip.
Also if you have a soft bag, like a club glove, make sure you invest in a stiff arm. Good insurance to help minimize a broken driver shaft. Also, the airlines do rifle through your golf bag pretty much every shipment, if you go that route, make sure nothing too expensive in there that they might pocket.

A few years ago I invested in a high end hard case for my clubs since I had $3000 invested in my set. The only downside I see of taking clubs on airplane is TSA almost always will open up a golf case which leaves one open for the case not being properly reclosed.
Downside of the "baby coffin" is that they are a little tougher fitting in cars if you have a few bags to stow.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Thanks in advance.
Another thing to check , if it is a puddle jumper, sometimes they limit things like number or size of bags.

Shipping on the ground is a much better option. It will save you a lot of time and nerves, especially if you know exactly where you will live in your destination.
It would take time to talk to the airline and decide upon this luggage, and it’s much faster and easier to send it with FedEx or UPS. You can also ensure this sending if your clubs are expensive to be sure nothing happens to them. I would recommend doing insurance for clubs and drivers like the ones presented at greenvalleyccofri.com because you never know what can happen to that sending, and you might lose some good money because of a minor accident.

Last edited:
Yes, they are nice clubs. My fear isn't the plane going down, it's the clubs getting lost or stolen.

Several years ago I was driving to Hilton Head in my daughter's SUV. A friend who lives in Bluffton was lending a set of clubs for my son. The car was really packed, including an infant car seat. We got the borrowed clubs squeezed in the back My larger bag wouldn't fit, so I suggested to my wife that she could squeeze in the back seat and I would put my clubs in the front passenger seat - secured with the seat belt. It didn't go over well. I decided to repack the whole car rather than risk a vacation week with an angry wife.
That's a sitcom episode waiting to be made.

This subject always makes me think of this:

HUMOR: THE STRANDED IRISHMAN​

May 4, 2020
MARK CARDON
Golf
GB.jpg

One day an Irishman, who had been stranded on a deserted island for over 10 years, saw a speck on the horizon. He thought to himself, “It’s certainly not a ship”.
As the speck got closer and closer, he began to rule out even the possibilities of a small boat or a raft.
Suddenly a figure clad in a black wet suit strode from the surf. Putting aside the scuba tanks and mask and zipping down the top of the wet suit stood a drop-dead gorgeous blonde!
She walked up to the stunned Irishman and said to him,
“Tell me, how long has it been since you’ve had a good cigar?”
“Ten years,” replied the amazed Irishman.
With that, she reached over and unzipped a waterproof pocket on the left sleeve of her wet suit and pulled out a fresh package of cigars and a lighter.
He took a cigar, slowly lit it, and took a long drag. “Faith and begorrah,” said the castaway, “that is so good! I’d almost forgotten how great a smoke can be!”
“And how long has it been since you’ve had a drop of good Bushmill’s Irish Whiskey?” asked the blonde..
Trembling, the castaway replied, “Ten years.”
Hearing that, the blonde reached over to her right sleeve,
unzipped a pocket there and removed a flask and handed it to him.
He opened the flask and took a long drink. ” ‘Tis nectar of the gods!” shouted the Irishman. “
‘Tis truly fantastic!!!”
At this point the gorgeous blonde started to slowly unzip the long front of her wet suit, right down the middle. She looked at the trembling man and asked, “And how long has it been since you played around?”
With tears in his eyes, the Irishman fell to his knees and sobbed,
“Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Don’t tell me that you’ve got golf clubs in there, too!”

That's a sitcom episode waiting to be made.
Surprised that my post is still alive. Ironically, I am in Hilton Head this week without my clubs. Not lost, I just decided not to ship them. Harbortown and another favorite course were aerated; my two usual partners are not available. If I play, I will just rent. Much simpler and as a 15 handicap it’s no big deal.

Thanks in advance.
I have used shipsticks repeatedly with no problem. Make sure you have a return label for box when leaving your destination.

ADVERTISEMENT