ADVERTISEMENT

Airlines once again mistreat and essentially assault a passenger....

The madness the airlines industry imposes on it's passengers is ridiculous. From overbooking. to losing baggage to rudeness, to sitting way too long on the tarmac, these crazy situations need to be averted and passengers justly compensated. The latest fiasco....... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...film-moment-police-drag-man-United-plane.html

For the crime of being a passenger on a flight United overbooked, so they could get crew members on standby to their next hop....

A doctor trying to get back to patient appointments no less. United is getting hammered for this and deserve to.

a little bit of using the wrong terms in the article

United did not "overbook" the flight. they tried to force accommodations for 4 employees they were trying to deadhead.

I don't know who made the decision to force legitimate, paying customers off a flight but this is going to cost United millions in lost revenue. Penny wise, pound foolish

but this is part of why I hate flying. You're not a customer any more, you're f**king cargo and they just don't care

The madness the airlines industry imposes on it's passengers is ridiculous. From overbooking. to losing baggage to rudeness, to sitting way too long on the tarmac, these crazy situations need to be averted and passengers justly compensated. The latest fiasco....... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...film-moment-police-drag-man-United-plane.html
Now that the airlines are making money again based on nickel and diming us for every little thing, they feel they can do anything they want. How about if they gave us a meal other than peanuts and pretzels without charging us for it in coach!

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Was the guy actually a Dr. or was he making it up?
I would have taken the 800.00 and planned another trip.:D

Now that the airlines are making money again based on nickel and diming us for every little thing, they feel they can do anything they want. How about if they gave us a meal other than peanuts and pretzels without charging us for it in coach!

How about they take out just one row of seats so my knees aren't pushing into the seat in front of me?
I'd rather they make the flight itself more comfortable and I'll continue to just take a sandwich on the plane.

I don't get the criticism of this by snowflake nation. They were operating within the rules of play when they asked him to leave the flight. He chose to willfully resist law enforcement and to fight, so he got his ass tossed. He had every chance to peacefully get up and leave on his own. If we get to pick and chose what rules and laws we obey, then what kind of society do we live in?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
United is pretty bad. They will probably send that poor guy a customer satisfaction survey afterwards. Whenever I get one from them, I always write, "Why do you even bother asking anymore?'

American is another doozy of an airline. Last summer, I bought 2 tickets for my kids (in their early 20's) to attend my mother's funeral. American cancelled the flight at the last minute because they weren't able to find enough passengers for the flight (a redeye to Philly). They offered to rebook my kids for the day after the funeral.

I was able to find a last-minute flight on another airline for my kids, which American refused to do for me. At least I got my original airfare back on American, but it was a big hassle to do so. And no reimbursement from American for the fare increase on the replacement flight, other than two useless $200 vouchers.

I always thought of an airline ticket as a contract--I pay the airline money, and the airline is obligated to get me to my destination. I understand if there is a weather problem. But overbooking and cancelling empty flights by airlines is way too common, and it ought to be illegal, or the airline pays for alternative transportation at the customer's choosing.

United is pretty bad. They will probably send that poor guy a customer satisfaction survey afterwards. Whenever I get one from them, I always write, "Why do you even bother asking anymore?'

American is another doozy of an airline. Last summer, I bought 2 tickets for my kids (in their early 20's) to attend my mother's funeral. American cancelled the flight at the last minute because they weren't able to find enough passengers for the flight (a redeye to Philly). They offered to rebook my kids for the day after the funeral.

I was able to find a last-minute flight on another airline for my kids, which American refused to do for me. At least I got my original airfare back on American, but it was a big hassle to do so. And no reimbursement from American for the fare increase on the replacement flight, other than two useless $200 vouchers.

I always thought of an airline ticket as a contract--I pay the airline money, and the airline is obligated to get me to my destination. I understand if there is a weather problem. But overbooking and cancelling empty flights by airlines is way too common, and it ought to be illegal, or the airline pays for alternative transportation at the customer's choosing.

LOL.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Was the guy actually a Dr. or was he making it up?
I would have taken the 800.00 and planned another trip.:D
I am calling BS on the guy is a MD. the other question is, how did he wonder back on the plane. And lastly United did not remove him, the air marshals removed him.

I find most airlines employees to be excellent. I have yet to have a problem with any airline employee. The only problems I ever had flying were with an occasional dbag passenger or a occasional dbag TSA employee.

I find most airlines employees to be excellent. I have yet to have a problem with any airline employee. The only problems I ever had flying were with an occasional dbag passenger or a occasional dbag TSA employee.

Agree. I fly about 4 times a year, so not a lot but I've never had any issues with the TSA people, in fact most have been very nice.
I mostly fly Southwest.

Reactions: NedFromYork

well, the guys dragging the passenger down the plane were airport security...not United employees. Regardless, this was at the request of United.

that dude is going to be a millionaire. I believe United "over books" more than other airlines. I am platinum on United and get treated well, but I see people being mauled every day. I often help them by calling the 1k desk on their behalf. I once bought a hotel room for a little old lady stranded at DFW.

This "overbooking" practice has got to be reigned in....perhaps this is the case that will do it.

United is proud to announce their new economy class seating:

C9EZKuBUIAAR5c9.jpg:large

well, the guys dragging the passenger down the plane were airport security...not United employees. Regardless, this was at the request of United.

that dude is going to be a millionaire. I believe United "over books" more than other airlines. I am platinum on United and get treated well, but I see people being mauled every day. I often help them by calling the 1k desk on their behalf. I once bought a hotel room for a little old lady stranded at DFW.

This "overbooking" practice has got to be reigned in....perhaps this is the case that will do it.

Maybe they should raise their prices, not give refunds and then they won't have to overbook.

Was once traveling to Australia first class via Honolulu. This was in the mid -eighties and the cost was near $8K round trip. My reading light did not work and I couldnt take another seat because there were a large number of crew dead heading. I got the attention of a flight attendant fully expecting to be granted another seat. Nope, I was offered the use of a flashlight. I asked to see the captain. Oh boy, was he pissed. He basically kicked all of the crew out of first class and upgraded several fliers in business. I also got a new seat assignment.

'We wanted to get our customers to their destinations, and when one gentleman refused to get off the aircraft, we had to call the Chicago Police Department

Ummmmm wouldn't the guy dragged off be considered a customer?

As for the posters commenting he could have just walked off, I get that but he should never been put in that situation by the airlines. He bought a ticket just like everyone else so he shouldn't have to get off because the airline randomly picked him. Id tell the airline F U too and theyd be dragging me off also. He did NOTHING illegal to be removed from that flight so the police should have never been there.

The airline industry is a joke. They nickel and dime everything all because of the gas prices from YEARS ago. Now that gas is cheap again they are still charging to take a pee and the price of standard tickets has gone up before any fees. The airlines can keep doing it because people need to get places and they know people are going to have to pay no matter what.

Only way to stop it is to stop flying all together which is somewhat impossible for most.

I don't do a lot of domestic travel. When I do, seems I always get stuck with United. No real issues other than their lounge is the absolute worst of all I've been to (thanks to the wife, who has Senator status on Lufthansa and Star Alliance) - you actually have to pay for wine/beer there (I know, first world problems and all). I will say one time we were taking a Lufthansa flight to Paris and it had a stopover in Frankfurt. When checking in, a Lufthansa employee asked if we wouldn't mind taking another flight (on United) that was leaving at near the same time, and was non-stop. We weren't in a rush and I preferred a non-stop flight, so we agreed. Little did we know the flight was leaving in about a half hour and as you might guess, we didn't make it in time (security was a mess at Dulles). Anyway, they book us on another flight with a stopover in London so we wait in the United Lounge with our free Cheerio's and Chex-mix and my wife calls to complain to Lufthansa. I guess there is some German law about passengers and moving them around on flights, because about a week later we both receive checks for $800.00 for the inconvenience. Love Lufthansa :).

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
'We wanted to get our customers to their destinations, and when one gentleman refused to get off the aircraft, we had to call the Chicago Police Department

As for the posters commenting he could have just walked off, I get that but he should never been put in that situation by the airlines. He bought a ticket just like everyone else so he shouldn't have to get off because the airline randomly picked him. Id tell the airline F U too and theyd be dragging me off also. He did NOTHING illegal to be removed from that flight so the police should have never been there.

The airline industry is a joke. They nickel and dime everything all because of the gas prices from YEARS ago. Now that gas is cheap again they are still charging to take a pee and the price of standard tickets has gone up before any fees. The airlines can keep doing it because people need to get places and they know people are going to have to pay no matter what.

Only way to stop it is to stop flying all together which is somewhat impossible for most.

They nickel and dime everything only AFTER the customers nickel and dime them. Flying is probably cheaper now than it was 30 years ago.

This is a two way street. Are you willing to eliminate BOTH overbooking by the airlines AND flight cancellations by the customers? Once you buy a ticket you own it.

I don't get the criticism of this by snowflake nation. They were operating within the rules of play when they asked him to leave the flight. He chose to willfully resist law enforcement and to fight, so he got his ass tossed. He had every chance to peacefully get up and leave on his own. If we get to pick and chose what rules and laws we obey, then what kind of society do we live in?

They didn't ask him to leave - they told him, in essence, "We have chosen you and we are not giving you an option".

The airline has the right to remove passengers as they see fit. This was a bad situation all around and certainly United's fault, but his ticket doesn't guarantee him a seat if they want him off the plane. Me - I'm not going to put up a fight with anyone on a plane.

I don't do a lot of domestic travel. When I do, seems I always get stuck with United. No real issues other than their lounge is the absolute worst of all I've been to (thanks to the wife, who has Senator status on Lufthansa and Star Alliance) - you actually have to pay for wine/beer there (I know, first world problems and all). I will say one time we were taking a Lufthansa flight to Paris and it had a stopover in Frankfurt. When checking in, a Lufthansa employee asked if we wouldn't mind taking another flight (on United) that was leaving at near the same time, and was non-stop. We weren't in a rush and I preferred a non-stop flight, so we agreed. Little did we know the flight was leaving in about a half hour and as you might guess, we didn't make it in time (security was a mess at Dulles). Anyway, they book us on another flight with a stopover in London so we wait in the United Lounge with our free Cheerio's and Chex-mix and my wife calls to complain to Lufthansa. I guess there is some German law about passengers and moving them around on flights, because about a week later we both receive checks for $800.00 for the inconvenience. Love Lufthansa :).

United used to have a hub here in CLE and that's why I am United (actually, used to be Continental). United and CLE have been in a fight so United uses CLE as a crap hole. I fly, often, to Houston (almost three hours) on a CRJ 145 with no wifi or entertainment. I actually like the CRJ, for an hour flight or less, but three hours is a crap hole flight.

But United treats me pretty well, for the most part. I've been stranded three nights this year, already, but those were all weather.

but if you don't have status, on any of the major airlines, flying is a dumpster fire.

I don't often agree with Colin Cowherd, but he did say something a few weeks ago I agree with:

If I ever hit the lottery - and really big - forget the cars, houses and boats. Buy into a fractional jet ownership, or even better- get a personal jet, and avoid all the stress of commercial flying. It's so much nicer than flying commercial nowadays - both the airlines and the general flying population have made the process one step above a cattle car.

The stupidity of United is astounding.....In a situation like this, you simply keep increasing the amount you are willing to give the affected passenger. Afterall, by putting your employees first you are making a business decision....
Using the police force to enforce your business decision is a very bad idea...

United used to have a hub here in CLE and that's why I am United (actually, used to be Continental). United and CLE have been in a fight so United uses CLE as a crap hole. I fly, often, to Houston (almost three hours) on a CRJ 145 with no wifi or entertainment. I actually like the CRJ, for an hour flight or less, but three hours is a crap hole flight.

But United treats me pretty well, for the most part. I've been stranded three nights this year, already, but those were all weather.

but if you don't have status, on any of the major airlines, flying is a dumpster fire.

Boy do I feel sorry for you. I've had to fly into and through Houston several times and every single time there is some kind of weather delay or cancellation.
The last time though was the worst, the plane just dropped, don't know how far but it felt like a lot, the oxygen masks came out stuff was flying out of the overhead bins, kids were crying people were praying, it was not a good scene. That was the last time for me. I avoid Hobby at all costs.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT