ADVERTISEMENT

airline armageddon!

I left Raliegh at noon through Newark to CLE. I landed at 12:30am.

Don't scare me. I have tickets to Los Angeles with my two children in august. Got a feeling is not going to be a smooth ride.

Covid19 protocols for air crews are tough to get around. If a pilot tests positive, the airlines contract trace the folks they’ve flown with recently. Everyone gets quarantined. It sucks for the flying public, but if the US had actually performed contract tracing, as opposed to discussing its virtues, we wouldn’t have endured the mess we did.

Don't scare me. I have tickets to Los Angeles with my two children in august. Got a feeling is not going to be a smooth ride.

Based on our recent experience flying from Baltimore to Bangor, I'd offer the following advice: A) book an early flight...departure at 7:00 AM or earlier; B) fly direct...no connections...if you possibly can; C) if you do have to make a connection, give yourself at least 2-3 hours of layover time...an hour or less is asking for trouble; D) whatever you do, don't fly through Newark...huge problems there; and E) install and use the airline's app for instant updates and changes...of which there may be many.

Baltimore's BWI cancelled fully 10% of its flights this past Sunday. We flew on June 14 and June 21, both Tuesdays and certainly not a holiday situation, and yet still ran into big-time problems on the June 14 trip to Bangor. Multiple delays. One missed connection. Missing luggage. After a rebooking that changed the connection to Reagan National, a hair-raising run through that airport to make the Bangor flight by the skin of our teeth. In sum, a total mess.

The flight back was smoother but still featured a comical scene where they actually started to board the plane and then suddenly out of the blue announced the aircraft would not be going to BWI but rather to Turks and Cacaos in the Caribbean! The Baltimore flight would instead leave from an entirely different gate and concourse. So we all scrambled to the new gate but at least knew they had to wait for us as all the passengers got word of the change at the same time. I think even the crew was jerked around, which might account for the fact that none of them seemed in a good mood at all.

feel bad for the guy at work who is on site today, called him up at lunch and asked how things were and his flight was delayed from 3:30 to 6:30. he is concerned it will get cancelled and then stuck trying to get home somehow on Saturday going into a long weekend.

If you travel a lot then the Flight Aware App is an absolute necessity. Supposedly it is tied directly into the FAA computer system. The airlines can lie as much as they want to their customers but they can't lie to the FAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT