ADVERTISEMENT

Ah draft day. I wonder what will be the headline at the end of the day?

This draft has so many possibilities. Things could get REALLY crazy or the draft buildup itself could be a huge bust. I do think Chip Kelly seems @ home in a level of chaos so Eagles fans probably won't be bored during this draft.

I'm not going to be surprised if the Bucs take Mariota at all if they don't end up moving the pick. The Titans then might take Winston. No way the Cleveland #12/#19 comes close to getting anything done with Tennessee. Value-wise it's a LONG way off. Looks good on the face but they would have to give up another first.

More importantly, let's project and take a guess as to which school "Mr. Irrelevant" will come from. I am going to say Weber State -simply because it's the first school that popped into my head when I think of irrelevance.

Schefter seems to think the Eagles are about ready to go all out. Trade Bradford to the Browns for #19.Then package their two firsts plus multiple players for #2. Yeah, stuff could get wild.

There is no way that I'd waste a top 10 overall pick on a duel threat QB. I think whatever mobility a QB has is icing on the cake, but should not factor into the evaluation. I would evaluate ability to read defenses, decision making, arm strength, and leadership.

Schefter seems to think the Eagles are about ready to go all out. Trade Bradford to the Browns for #19.Then package their two firsts plus multiple players for #2. Yeah, stuff could get wild.
I'd be shocked if the Browns did that. Rumors are that they've offered both first rounders, (12 and 19) to the Titans for the #2 overall pick. The Titans have said that they want the 2016 #1 pick as well. Browns are waiting to see if the Titans come off that (perhaps this years or next years second round). But I don't see the Eagles having the assets to match the Browns (assuming Titans don't just draft him themselves). If the Titans pass on Mariotta, the Browns will trade with Redskins at #5 to get him.

Expecting Kelly to trade the house for Mariota. I hope not. But seems likely. A QB desperate league always overvalues QB's. Based on on the field and off the field issues, I am not sure either are top 10 picks. Obviously, they will be. Winston is the more talented, but risky with decision making on the field and off field concerns. As for Mariota, no off the field issues. But question is style to fit in the NFL (outside of possibly the Eagles) and his leadership skills (not bad, but more is it strong enough to lead at an elite level) in the locker room and huddle.

Is the draft happening already. Gee, haven't heard anything about it. ;)

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting process, but the hype has way exceeded what actually goes on; the 1st round will be about 15 minutes of action squeezed into 4 hours. Not to mention Chris Berman bloviating.

I'd like to see the Stillers go mostly defense, esp. the secondary.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Is the draft happening already. Gee, haven't heard anything about it. ;)

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting process, but the hype has way exceeded what actually goes on; the 1st round will be about 15 minutes of action squeezed into 4 hours. Not to mention Chris Berman bloviating.

I'd like to see the Stillers go mostly defense, esp. the secondary.

I would like for them to consider Amos in round 3/4.

It's nice when your biggest offensive need is possibly TE. Fully loaded and ready to go there. I think the O-line is turning into something special. Miller still looks pretty good to me. People think a RB needs drafted and I don't even agree with that entirely unless something perfect comes along.

This draft will be all D even if it means leaving the organizational philosophy of best available.

I would like for them to consider Amos in round 3/4.

It's nice when your biggest offensive need is possibly TE. Fully loaded and ready to go there. I think the O-line is turning into something special. Miller still looks pretty good to me. People think a RB needs drafted and I don't even agree with that entirely unless something perfect comes along.

This draft will be all D even if it means leaving the organizational philosophy of best available.

Sounds like the Steelers like Marcus Peters, CB out of Washington in spite of his issues. He'd probably be the best DB at 22. I'm hoping for that, plus an OLB/edge rusher in round 2. This draft is supposedly stocked with DB's, so gotta think this is a DB-heavy draft for the Steelers.

I'd be shocked if the Browns did that. Rumors are that they've offered both first rounders, (12 and 19) to the Titans for the #2 overall pick. The Titans have said that they want the 2016 #1 pick as well. Browns are waiting to see if the Titans come off that (perhaps this years or next years second round). But I don't see the Eagles having the assets to match the Browns (assuming Titans don't just draft him themselves). If the Titans pass on Mariotta, the Browns will trade with Redskins at #5 to get him.

Didn't they make a movie about this already?

More importantly, let's project and take a guess as to which school "Mr. Irrelevant" will come from. I am going to say Weber State -simply because it's the first school that popped into my head when I think of irrelevance.

Interesting. Not Pitt?

Do the Eagles have any players left to trade?

Cox and Kendricks are the 2 names most talked about as trade personnel, I've heard Ertz mentioned as well. The consensus who think the Eagles will get Mariota is that it will involve Bradford to the Browns for the #19 pick combined with the Eagles' #20 pick and Cox an Kendricks. If the Eagles get him, the expectations will be extremely high, as those who want the Eagles to do the deal believe Mariota is a perfect fit and will lead the Eagles to multiple super bowls.

What is absolute lunacy to me is the fact that if Mariota was the exact same QB but playing for a team other than Oregon, there would be zero discussion about him to the Eagles.

I think regardless, the major draft drama will be over and done with by pick 3, as I really doubt Mariota slips past 2. Either the Eagles got Mariota by that point or they didn't.

I thought of Rutgers.

I hope Chip gets Mariota. Let's see if his system works with somebody made to run it. Before you laugh at my comp for Mariota. Think about the similarities between the two. Roger Staubach. Heisman Winners. Humble guys. People questioned Staubach's christianity and if he was tough enough to lead a team . Marcus is hearing the same thing. Tremendous athletes. Neither had a classic NFL arm. Roger drove Landry crazy with his improvisational skills. Took Tom a long time to name Roger his qb. Roger was a hero to many back in the day when he played at Navy. Marcus is much more popular on the West Coast than around here. Mariota seems like a smart kid. I don't believe he'll be reckless running in the NFL. My hunch is that he makes it big.

There is no way that I'd waste a top 10 overall pick on a duel threat QB. I think whatever mobility a QB has is icing on the cake, but should not factor into the evaluation. I would evaluate ability to read defenses, decision making, arm strength, and leadership.
Be careful about labeling Mariota a "duel threat" QB. Yes, he can run. However, the UO offense has de-emphasized the running QB since the days of Darron Thomas. I think Mariota is exactly what you say - good at reading defense, making decisions, etc. and his running ability will be icing on the cake in the NFL.

Interesting play here by Chip. Mariota has the most upside with the Eagles, and more questions about fitting other teams systems. So do the Eagles overpay when Mariota may not be as valuable to others teams? Guess it only takes one other team to drive up the price. Personally, I am not sold on Mariota. Not enough to give up what is rumored to get to #2

This draft has so many possibilities. Things could get REALLY crazy or the draft buildup itself could be a huge bust. I do think Chip Kelly seems @ home in a level of chaos so Eagles fans probably won't be bored during this draft.

I'm not going to be surprised if the Bucs take Mariota at all if they don't end up moving the pick. The Titans then might take Winston. No way the Cleveland #12/#19 comes close to getting anything done with Tennessee. Value-wise it's a LONG way off. Looks good on the face but they would have to give up another first.
The Bucs have been too quiet, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take Mariota. Either that, or some team that hasn't been mentioned at all shocks everyone and moves up for him.
Eagles end up picking an OL in the first round.

I think Mariota is exactly what you say - good at reading defense, making decisions, etc. and his running ability will be icing on the cake in the NFL.

I'm not sold on Mariota being great at reading defenses, etc. He played in a gimmick or "system" offense as opposed to a pro set, and his threat to run kept the defense from doing certain things. In the NFL, he won't be a threat to run the ball (called play) so the defense will be able to work up pass defenses to challenge him. He didn't have to do much of this in college, so it's a risk to expect him to do it in the pros.

He seems like a great kid, so I hope that I am wrong. I just wouldn't waste a top ten pick on him. I also wouldn't have taken Winston in the top ten either. With those picks, I'd only take guys with proven track records at positions that more directly translate to the NFL (OL, DL, LB, DB) and who don't have a lot of baggage.

I'm not sold on Mariota being great at reading defenses, etc. He played in a gimmick or "system" offense as opposed to a pro set, and his threat to run kept the defense from doing certain things. In the NFL, he won't be a threat to run the ball (called play) so the defense will be able to work up pass defenses to challenge him. He didn't have to do much of this in college, so it's a risk to expect him to do it in the pros.

He seems like a great kid, so I hope that I am wrong. I just wouldn't waste a top ten pick on him. I also wouldn't have taken Winston in the top ten either. With those picks, I'd only take guys with proven track records at positions that more directly translate to the NFL (OL, DL, LB, DB) and who don't have a lot of baggage.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think Ohio State controlled Mariota and obviously the defenses he'll be facing in the NFL are worlds better. I don't know that either Mariota or Winston was a top 2 pick QB (certainly nowhere near Luck a few years ago for instance), but the QB is so valued that teams are desperate and it's worth taking a chance. With that being said, it would've been interesting to see what Mariota would've done in Kelly's offense. I still can't believe that Kelly really ever wanted Bradford with his 2 bad knees. My take is that Kelly was planning to use him as a chip (no pun intended) and couldn't get the deal done. Now he's stuck with a QB trio of an injury prone Bradford, "Butt Fumble" Sanchez, and Tebow. Oh, and I guess Barkley too. We'll see if Chip is anywhere close to the "genius" so many have anointed him to be. I'm of the belief that his first 8-10 games he had the advantage of surprise, but after that teams figured out his offense and good defenses can defend it without much of a problem. 10-6 seasons with not making the playoffs or losing in round one does not a genius make, nor does it make for a long career in the NFL.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT