ADVERTISEMENT

AG Candidate Zappala received 15K from DeNaples business

WeR0206

Apr 9, 2014
Here's the link.

This part made me LOL:

"Marty Marks, Zappala's campaign manager, said the campaign was not aware of the connection between Pocono Garden Realty and DeNaples until the Tribune-Review asked about it."

One would think since Zappala's family (dad and grandfather) has long standing ties with the mob he'd avoid any apparence of mob influence.

Thanks to Bob Dahman for this link re: the Zappala's getting kickbacks during kids for cash. Greg Zappala (Stephen Jr's brother) was neck deep in kids for cash and received kickbacks when Stephen would send juveniles to his facility:

"Gregory Zappala escaped prosecution in this case. This outcome is less likely due to Zappala's lack of criminal wrongdoing and likely attributable to Zappala's own political and judicial connections. Zappala's father, Stephen Zappala, Sr. is a former Chief Justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court who has been accused of receiving bribes from pro-gambling groups. Zappala's brother, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala, Jr. tried juveniles in Allegheny County where, if convicted, they would be sentenced to Western Pennsylvania Child Care, co-owned by his brother. Gregory Zappala's consulting firm was the recipient of $500,000 in consulting fees paid by Western Pennsylvania Child Care. Additionally, Western Pennsylvania Child Care sent Greg Zappala on a $4,500 fishing trip in Florida. In 2008, amid growing rumors of a federal investigation, Robert J. Powell sold his interest in Pennsylvania Child Care to Greg Zappala"

How in the eff did the Zappala's escape scrutiny when kids for cash exploded??? They have some powerful connections with the US Attorneys is the only thing I could think of. They both should have went to jail but instead one of them is running for freaking PAOAG. Truly unreal. Only in PA smh.

Our buddy Frank loves Zappala, if I recall.

I recall the same. Frank has been MIA for a while, would be great to hear his take on the AG candidates/Zappala. Zappala as AG should scare the crap out of every PA resident.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Zappala will return DeNaples' donation, just like Kane returned the donation DeNaples gave her during her campaign. It's a bad look, but I don't think it will hurt him too much. Kane's relationship with DeNaples looked a lot worse, and she didn't really get any heat for it from what I recall outside of a few similar-sounding newspaper articles. DeNaples can pretty much do what he wants in this state with impunity.

I live in Pittsburgh, and am planning on voting for anyone over Zappala - but it's not because of anything to do with Louis DeNaples.

I recall the same. Frank has been MIA for a while, would be great to hear his take on the AG candidates/Zappala. Zappala as AG should scare the crap out of every PA resident.

He probably wouldn't be any worst then the last 2 we had to be honest.

He probably wouldn't be any worst then the last 2 we had to be honest.

I guess PA really set the bar high for AG's huh? Corbett was influenced by the mob so I can see the connection there but Kane isn't anything close to Zappala or Corbett. Zappala was directly involved in kids for cash by sending kids to his brothers facility. Zappala refuses to investigate the Pitt diocese/Cardinal Wuerl cover ups, etc. (in a similar fashion to Johnstown diocese/ DA/LE cover up that was just exposed).

An analogy would be if Kane, as DA, was sending kids to her sister's corrupt facility and then basking in the kickbacks while completely avoiding prosecution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT