ADVERTISEMENT

Advanced stats from Saturday

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
I though this was interesting (from Football Study Hall) regarding turnover luck from Saturday's game.

Top 5 turnovers luck margins (vs. FBS)
  1. Michigan State (+4.1 vs. Penn State)
  2. Houston (+3.8 vs. ECU)
  3. Appalachian State (+3.7 vs. Arkansas State)
  4. NIU (+3.1 vs. Ohio)
  5. UCLA (+2.9 vs. Cal)
Translation: Michigan State had a turnover margin that was +4.1 ahead of where national averages suggest it should have been. As each turnover is worth approximately five points, that means the Spartans enjoyed about a 20- to 21-point boost thanks to turnovers luck. In a four-point win. I swear, that happens every single time Sparty plays PSU, Michigan, or Ohio State, doesn’t it...

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...llege-football-statistics-week-7-five-factors

Reactions: mn78psu83
I though this was interesting (from Football Study Hall) regarding turnover luck from Saturday's game.

4. NIU (+3.1 vs. Ohio)
  5. UCLA (+2.9 vs. Cal)
Translation: Michigan State had a turnover margin that was +4.1 ahead of where national averages suggest it should have been. As each turnover is worth approximately five points, that means the Spartans enjoyed about a 20- to 21-point boost thanks to turnovers luck. In a four-point win. I swear, that happens every single time Sparty plays PSU, Michigan, or Ohio State, doesn’t it...

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...llege-football-statistics-week-7-five-factors
Thanks for that.
PSU Flat + MSU Lucky + a few bad calls = PSU 4-2.

4. NIU (+3.1 vs. Ohio)
  5. UCLA (+2.9 vs. Cal)

Yeah, I noticed that during the game. They got super lucky with every fumble. In theory, on fumbles, it should be 50/50 as to who recovers and I think they were 100%. Not to mention the 2 dropped INTs.

I think the 5 point advantage is legit. When you look at box scores where one teams wins but is outgained, there is almost always a significant difference in TO margin.

I won't excuse PSU from blowing this game, but man things really went MSU's way on Saturday. Right down to McSorely's slip at the end. He had room for the 1st down.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Thanks for that.
PSU Flat + MSU Lucky + a few bad calls = PSU 4-2.
but why on earth would PSU be flat coming off a bye week?? There is no excuse for that. You get up at 4 am to go lift weights for 12 games a year, you better go get each one of them.

but why on earth would PSU be flat coming off a bye week?? There is no excuse for that. You get up at 4 am to go lift weights for 12 games a year, you better go get each one of them.

i dont believe we came out flat at all. in fact, we looked great to start the game. held MSU on the opening drive, and then we moved right down the field on their D ... until Trace fumbled

as the game progressed, we made too many mistakes

i dont believe we came out flat at all. in fact, we looked great to start the game. held MSU on the opening drive, and then we moved right down the field on their D ... until Trace fumbled

as the game progressed, we made too many mistakes
I agree, we didnt seem 'flat' to start the game,

Reactions: Grant Green
ADVERTISEMENT