ADVERTISEMENT

ACC tournament venue history for Glov

SgtCarter

May 29, 2001
I counted 54 times it has been held in North Carolina and 16 times outside that state

This post was edited on 3/14 11:10 AM by SgtCarter

Tobacco Fix

Is it just "possible" that holding the ACC Tourney in NC for many years had anything to do with member geography and tradition as compared to bias? Ya know, I don't recall anyone complaining that the Big East has never held their conference tourney outside MSG or that Big Ten has only held it in Chicago & Indianapolis. Geez.

ACC Member History

Clemson
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
South Carolina
Maryland
UVa

South Carolina leaves

GT added

FSU added

Miami & VT added

BC added

Pitt & Cuse added

L'Ville added
This post was edited on 3/14 11:07 AM by nitnyheel

yeah tradition all right

a tradition of never having the tourney in South Carolina or Virginia or Massachusetts!

Actually I think it's like 52 years in North Carolina and 11 years outside NC since the early 1950's (some of those years in the link are future years sites). That said, I do think it's time for the big ten to rotate sites too. I'm tired of everything being in Indianapolis or Chicago. Rotate it through NY, DC, Philly. Cincinnati, Minneapolis, etc.

Re: yeah tradition all right

The SEC has never held their tourney in SC, TX, MS or AR either.

Clemson (SC) and UVa (VA) are 3 hour drives to Greensboro. BC (valued member since 2005) is an outlier and will always be that way. I don't see the ACC ever going to Boston. Now they have been to Atlanta, DC, Tampa and will start going to NYC. NYC is for the media coverage, a nod to former Big East teams (BC being one of them) and because the Big East has crumbled. The ACC Championship (BB & FB) events that have been held at the far end of the conference geography (Tampa) have been very lightly attended.

I'm looking forward to the day the B1G moves their basketball showcase to Omaha, NE and the Big 12 moves their tourney to Wheeling, WV. But, I'm not holding my breath.

So ND not only has to travel far but also go to those pesky classes.

It's amazing to me how everybody sees conspiracy and bias ...

in everything.

The Carolina venues were/are centrally located to the ACC. It is the oldest college bkb tournament in the nation, and when it began travel wasn't as simple as it is now. after a while, it becomes tradition. if you look at most tournaments, the idea was always to get people in the seats. backin the day, was there an off-campus venue in the d.c. area or in virginia or in south carolina like grennsboro to host it? i doubt it.

nowadays, conferences have revenue from tv and trael is easier, so they can move the sites around. but you still want peple in the seats. why do you think the Pac-12 tournament is in las vegas? think anyone would go if it was in Tuscon or Seattle?
l
if you're good enough, you'll win. if you're not, you won't no conspiracy. no bias.

they had planes, trains & buses back in the 50's

and you dont have to have it at an off campus site-see how they used to play at NC State's Reynolds Coliseum. No one said conspiracy but they certainly try to grease the skids so that a Duke or North Carolina have an easier path to winning

Re: they had planes, trains & buses back in the 50's

Duke HATES playing in Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh, especially in the NCAA Tournament. Duke and Coach K would much rather play in NY/NJ, DC or Chicago, than NC. The crowd is always rooting against Duke in the NC venues. See Duke's losses to Mercer (in Raleigh) and Lehigh (in Greensboro).

Right. And Duke/UNC/Wake winning as much as they did ...

had nothing to do with the fact that they were able to recruit the best players and had the best coaches (mcguire, smith, bubas etc). It could ONLY be that the ACC greased the path for them.
Guess the pro sports world has conspired to keep the Indians/Brown/Cavaliers at the bottom. Has had nothing to with wretched management over the years

Re: they had planes, trains & buses back in the 50's

Actually the crowd is generally very pro Duke in those games. Only if Duke is in trouble with like 2 minutes to go do the Carolina fans in the building really turn on Duke. Before that it's polite golf clap for the Duke's opponent if the Carolina fans are even paying attention. Generally the Carolina and Duke fans go to their game and leave after (Duke fans the worst at this). As someone whose been going to the tourney in Carolina for over a decade (including being at that Lehigh game) it is not a hostile environment to Duke at all other than in those rare Lehigh situations where Carolina and Duke fans are in the building at the same time (first day is 2 games at noon. Then everyone leaves the arena. Then 2 games at 6pm or so. Usually Duke and Carolina are in separate sessions).

I thought they said during yesterday's broadcast that the next four B1G tournaments would be in NYC, Washington, Indianapolis and Chicago. Not sure of the order though.

I hope your right. It would be a great move for the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT