ADVERTISEMENT

About the "Polls"...

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
I surveyed this board twice to see what people's impressions were about the new Board.

1st "poll"....http://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/poll-traffic-on-the-board-since-the-changeover.10413/ 4/27/15

2d "poll"....http://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/new-poll-about-board-traffic.13920/ 5/19/15

The numbers of respondents dipped from about 160 in the first poll to just over 100 in the second poll, but the results were otherwise quite similar--over 80% say the traffic is lower in both "polls".

Of course we do not actually KNOW whether it is lower. The poll reflects our perception of the traffic change. But that impression seems like it ought to count for something. Rivals undoubtedly monitors exactly what the board traffic actually is, but I wonder if they monitor what people perceive it to be, and if that is important to them. If I were selling something (at the moment they seem to be selling UPMC liver failure treatment) I would want to know whether the audience/customers believed I was losing customers.

I said this before: Rivals has many easy ways of telling us whether the traffic is lower or higher. Seems like if it were higher they would tell us. Not so sure if they would tell us if it were lower, but their advertisers will tell THEM.:)

BTW--liver failure hits people of all ages, but like most chronic illnesses, it is concentrated on older people--you know--like the ones who have done most of the complaining about the new format? Why would you make changes designed to lower the average age of your viewers, then try to sell them old people stuff? If your liver is like a Whiffle Ball, you are probably old, and it may be that way because you have been hosing it down with chemicals for 50 years. Seem like a peculiarly "Thread View" demographic. :)

Keep complaining about something you get for free, dem. it isn't going to change no matter how much you piss and moan.

Reactions: m3driver
Get over it already. Enough with polls and endless discussions about the new format. It isn't so new. It's been here for a few weeks and XenForo has been around quite awhile. Another forum I frequent switched from vBulletin to XenForo in 2012.

We aren't going back. This isn't a test.

Keep complaining about something you get for free, dem. it isn't going to change no matter how much you piss and moan.
Wow, don't be so defensive. I am simply making observations here. I said both that I get it for free AND that I know it is not going to change LONG before you did. Those are simply not the issues here. It is a matter that people are curious about and interested in--that is why over 100 of them answered in each case.

It is kind of unseemly to cry about this sort of thing. suck it up.

Get over it already. Enough with polls and endless discussions about the new format. It isn't so new. It's been here for a few weeks and XenForo has been around quite awhile. Another forum I frequent switched from vBulletin to XenForo in 2012.

We aren't going back. This isn't a test.
How about if you decide what you want to post about and I decide what I want to post about? I think we will both like it better that way.

I am curious as to how I lost 14 "likes". I had 93 as of 3 PM yesterday, and by 5 PM it was 79. Now, at 7 AM, it's 81.

I realize this is not the subject topic, but I was curious as to how this works.
I am not the expert but I think rivals is subtly reminding you that you suck.:)

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Wow, don't be so defensive. I am simply making observations here. I said both that I get it for free AND that I know it is not going to change LONG before you did. Those are simply not the issues here. It is a matter that people are curious about and interested in--that is why over 100 of them answered in each case.

It is kind of unseemly to cry about this sort of thing. suck it up.
For as much as you complain about the format and make new polls/threads about it, your posting hasn't fallen off one bit.

For as much as you complain about the format and make new polls/threads about it, your posting hasn't fallen off one bit.
That is just the point you do not seem capable of assimilating--I am not complaining about the format. It IS possible to raise questions that are of general concern without having chose a position on those questions.

Reactions: Ski and N&B4PSU
That is just the point you do not seem capable of assimilating--I am not complaining about the format. It IS possible to raise questions that are of general concern without having chose a position on those questions.
I should have used better terminology, my apologies.

For as much as you "point out" these things, your own posting habits haven't changed one bit. If you are just "pointing things out" without taking a position while realizing that you get it for free and things aren't going to change...then why do it?

I am curious as to how I lost 14 "likes". I had 93 as of 3 PM yesterday, and by 5 PM it was 79. Now, at 7 AM, it's 81.

I realize this is not the subject topic, but I was curious as to how this works.
I could be wrong but I think if you had a like that was in a thread that gets deleted then it takes away that like. What a crock hey? Likes should be permanent

psuro - if a thread you participated in gets deleted, your likes/message counts will decrease by that participation.

I know because yesterday I had 20 messages and 20 likes - today I have 2 messages and 7 likes - a thread I was participating in was deleted due to some disappointing comments by one of the participants (or so I assume). Which is a shame, because the thread in its entirety, I felt, had some good information and good discussion. But as they say, one bad apple...

I hope this helps -
Roxine

I could be wrong but I think if you had a like that was in a thread that gets deleted then it takes away that like. What a crock hey? Likes should be permanent

Wow - it's like losing frequent flier miles built up because the airline decided not to fly that route any more.

Can I "not like" rivals for this? harrumph.

I should have used better terminology, my apologies.

For as much as you "point out" these things, your own posting habits haven't changed one bit. If you are just "pointing things out" without taking a position while realizing that you get it for free and things aren't going to change...then why do it?
Because well over 100 of the people who read this board are interested in the topic. How in the world can that be so difficult for you to understand? Why do we talk about football at all? After all, we are not the coach or AD or players--we cannot change a thing. Why talk about it then? Like Franklin or hate him--he is the coach until other people decide he isn't. Like STEP or not, it is the plan until someone other than message board posters decide it is going to change. Why talk about any of this? Sheesh.

Reactions: Mixolydian and Ski
Please, pardon me for thinking a format on a free message board isn't worth beating to death.

I'm terribly sorry you can't see my point......but it somehow doesn't surprise me.

Please, pardon me for thinking a format on a free message board isn't worth beating to death.

I'm terribly sorry you can't see my point......but it somehow doesn't surprise me.

You are the one who insists on continuing to discuss it--actually not "it" but the efficacy of discussing "it." Even with all your useless rehashing of why we would talk about this subject--it is the impression of the vast majority of posters that traffic is DOWN. Gotta be a tough one for you.

Reactions: Ski
As I mentioned before, these polls are meaningless because the most significant regular factor for activity on the site is annual trends. Activity is going to peak somewhere around the Blue-White game and drop back off afterward, only to go back up around when the season starts. If you had activity data for the first 5 months of last year and this year, you'd have something. Are there archives postings from last year you could compare with?

I surveyed this board twice to see what people's impressions were about the new Board.

1st "poll"....http://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/poll-traffic-on-the-board-since-the-changeover.10413/ 4/27/15

2d "poll"....http://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/new-poll-about-board-traffic.13920/ 5/19/15

The numbers of respondents dipped from about 160 in the first poll to just over 100 in the second poll, but the results were otherwise quite similar--over 80% say the traffic is lower in both "polls".

Of course we do not actually KNOW whether it is lower. The poll reflects our perception of the traffic change. But that impression seems like it ought to count for something. Rivals undoubtedly monitors exactly what the board traffic actually is, but I wonder if they monitor what people perceive it to be, and if that is important to them. If I were selling something (at the moment they seem to be selling UPMC liver failure treatment) I would want to know whether the audience/customers believed I was losing customers.

I said this before: Rivals has many easy ways of telling us whether the traffic is lower or higher. Seems like if it were higher they would tell us. Not so sure if they would tell us if it were lower, but their advertisers will tell THEM.:)

BTW--liver failure hits people of all ages, but like most chronic illnesses, it is concentrated on older people--you know--like the ones who have done most of the complaining about the new format? Why would you make changes designed to lower the average age of your viewers, then try to sell them old people stuff? If your liver is like a Whiffle Ball, you are probably old, and it may be that way because you have been hosing it down with chemicals for 50 years. Seem like a peculiarly "Thread View" demographic. :)

Why in the world would the traffic be higher after the change over? It doesn't make any sense to even consider it. They knew going in that people don't like change and not matter what, some people weren't going to be happy. From Rival's perspective, it doesn't even matter if it is lower at this point. It's easy to quit a college football website in the middle of the low point for the year. We'll see how many stay away permanently. Rivals is in it for the long haul. Most who leave now will probably be back. The new site will also appeal to the younger more mobile generation and they are hoping to add more new users.

Because well over 100 of the people who read this board are interested in the topic. How in the world can that be so difficult for you to understand? Why do we talk about football at all? After all, we are not the coach or AD or players--we cannot change a thing. Why talk about it then? Like Franklin or hate him--he is the coach until other people decide he isn't. Like STEP or not, it is the plan until someone other than message board posters decide it is going to change. Why talk about any of this? Sheesh.
STEP. Did you say STEP? Have I ever told you how I feel about STEP? Let me start back in 1973......

Reactions: demlion
Why in the world would the traffic be higher after the change over? It doesn't make any sense to even consider it. They knew going in that people don't like change and not matter what, some people weren't going to be happy. From Rival's perspective, it doesn't even matter if it is lower at this point. It's easy to quit a college football website in the middle of the low point for the year. We'll see how many stay away permanently. Rivals is in it for the long haul. Most who leave now will probably be back. The new site will also appeal to the younger more mobile generation and they are hoping to add more new users.
So you agree that it is borderline INSANE to say, as '04 did, that traffic is higher? OK.

:)

I didn't vote in either poll because I don't spend much time on the board anymore. I can only speak to my own usage that is down. I have noticed that many seem to like it better so I can't really get a feel for total volume being greater or lower. The format change (for me) also makes it hard to judge total volume so maybe previous topic viewers back when there was a choice have a better feel for it.

While one could debate whether traffic is up or down, one thing I know for certain is that people whose posts I have enjoyed are no longer here or post much less frequently and that has affected my enjoyment of the board. I have a continuing internal debate as to whether to cut back on my visits here, or just trudge on and make the best of it. While I find this format tedious, I am reluctant to cut the cord because there is still a lot of value here. At least, for now, my final decision hangs in the balance.

If it weren't worth discussion, I would think you would have abandoned this thread LONG ago. Yet here you are, and here you seem to stay. Go figure. :cool:

Reactions: Ski and N&B4PSU
I find this format to be a significant improvement over the old. It takes one back to the point where he last visited a thread; it alerts one to new posts in threads he previously posted in. These are real time savers. In fact, I find it hard to not like anything about this format.

Well, as I have stated many times before on this site I'll tell you what my grandfather used to say "If we all liked the same things then everybody would be wanting to "bop" your grandmother."
May the wiseman rest in peace.

My observation is that it doesn't really seem to matter that you have no clue, you keep harping on this topic regardless. Sort of like facts be damned, I have my opinion.
Place me on ignore if it bothers you so much. Really it is pretty simple even with the new setup.

So let's see if I got this about right... the new format will appeal to a younger, more mobile generation... whose knowledge of JVP is likely formed by espn, msm, and our BOT... and less so by any knowledge of the man (sure, it's a large generalization, but it's pretty close to the mark).. and as time progresses, you'll have even less people who know a thing about JVP. Just some old man who got caught up in a sex thing with kids and used to be the coach.

In the meantime, you're losing the long-time folks (both to the new format and father time) who grew up with JVP and know exactly what he did for this program and this university... who can explain it and put perspective on what was and what the new "is".. is.

that 'bout it? sounds more like an alternate version of "move along" to me.

and this whole "free" thing is kind of a joke.. it was ALWAYS free. the value added came from the participants who made this an amazing refuge (and better than google)... i understand that rivals mgmt get to make heir own rules and that's just how it's gonna be... but for "most" of us (in due time, the "us" demographic will no doubt change), something was clearly lost. and that is too bad.

imo, of course.

So let's see if I got this about right... the new format will appeal to a younger, more mobile generation... whose knowledge of JVP is likely formed by espn, msm, and our BOT... and less so by any knowledge of the man (sure, it's a large generalization, but it's pretty close to the mark).. and as time progresses, you'll have even less people who know a thing about JVP. Just some old man who got caught up in a sex thing with kids and used to be the coach.

In the meantime, you're losing the long-time folks (both to the new format and father time) who grew up with JVP and know exactly what he did for this program and this university... who can explain it and put perspective on what was and what the new "is".. is.

that 'bout it? sounds more like an alternate version of "move along" to me.

and this whole "free" thing is kind of a joke.. it was ALWAYS free. the value added came from the participants who made this an amazing refuge (and better than google)... i understand that rivals mgmt get to make heir own rules and that's just how it's gonna be... but for "most" of us (in due time, the "us" demographic will no doubt change), something was clearly lost. and that is too bad.

imo, of course.

Most of what you address is going to happen regardless of what form the board takes. Time moves forward and things change. That is the natural progression of things.

ADVERTISEMENT